“Very nice”

Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Beaverton
Reviewed July 23, 2007

We stayed at the Shilo Inn one night in Tillamook, OR, so we decided to spend 2 nights at the Shilo Inn in Beaverton. The room was big and roomy with a king size bed. There was a frig, microwave, and a coffee maker in the room. The extras (shampoo, etc.), was more than enough for two people. The room was also clean, and the furnishings in good condition. Our room had a sliding glass door that stepped out to a nonprivate patio. Our room overlooked the pond and fountain. After exploring Portland all day, it was nice to come back to the motel and relax with a glass of wine and listen to the water fountain.

We ordered room service (hamburgers), that evening. While pricey ($10.00 plus 18% gratuity), the hamburgers were excellent! We were also given a complimentary breakfast (choice of three items). It was adequate, but we found ourselves hungry 2 hours later.

In the lobby, they had a computer where you could access the internet for FREE! Also, they had fresh coffee, apples and popcorn to snack on. The lobby was huge and nicely decorated, and there was a fireplace in the dining area to add to ambiance.

If we ever go back to Portland, we would definately stay at the Shilo Inn in Beaverton again.

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank PearlyNV

Reviewed February 20, 2007

Just visited this hotel this weekend and left disappointed. All we wanted was something clean, comfortable and close to downtown Portland. We planned on spending much of our time exploring Portland. I too read the reviews, and had to wonder who wrote the stellar reviews. I tried to think of a positive with this hotel and had a hard time. Oh wait, it was close to the Portland zoo and downtown. The hotel is in serious need of a renovation, though I read on another website that it has been refurbished, not sure when???. We had the "executive suite" the room was dingy and run down. There is a funky smell, maybe a mixture of pet and smoke. There isn't a freeway nearby but, you wouldn't know it by the sounds of (what felt like) cars driving through the middle of the room at all hours of the night. Not very quite. I got up several tiimes during the night to recheck the windows to make sure they were closed. Since every noise sounded like it was right in your room, it was hard to sleep. The pictures that I have found on the web do this hotel the justice it doesn't deserve. I still have yet to find a picture of the front of the hotel that you pull up to, maybe I should have taken pictures. Maybe it was a good marketing idea to not show that picture. Not exactly family friendly either, I have to agree that it is geared towards the adults. There aren't any elevators either so pack light or be prepared to lug your suitcases, cooler (since we bring our own bottled water) or what have you up several flight of stairs. Unless you are one of the fortunate people who get a room on the floor level. We are frequent travelers and have stayed in many different types of hotels, but this is one I wouldn't choose to revist.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
13  Thank happycamper04
Reviewed October 8, 2006

Okay, I read the reviews before I booked my room and thought, "this place sounds pretty nice." After staying at the hotel, I can only wonder if the reviews were either written by the hotel staff or I had the awful luck of getting the worst room available. I was traveling with 2 children, one being a 2 year old, and was more than shocked by the condition/cleanliness of our room. Our comforters had stains, the carpet was worn and stained and there was something growing in the air conditioner. Our room smelled ok, but the hallway was stale and had a hint of cigarette and animal urine. My biggest beef with the hotel is that they didn’t have the safety locks at the top of the door, like I have seen in every hotel I have every stayed in, and my two year old was able to turn the deadbolt and open the door and walk right out into the hallway. The screens on the windows were also loose and the layout of the room placed two large chairs in front of these windows, which made it easy for my 2 year old to climb up and push against the screens.
Another reviewer noted the free breakfast as being “adequate” and that is exactly what I would describe. The hotel hands out a 3 choice breakfast coupon to use in the restaurant. Our group tried all three choices – pancakes and sausage, biscuits and gravy w/ fruit, and omelet with sausage and found them all to be greasy and tasteless. I would have loved a simple snack breakfast buffet with cereal and yogurt and the like so we ended up skipping the hotel breakfast after the first day.
This hotel is definitely set up for adults, with its Cigar Bar, karaoke night, old world decorations, and high calorie/high fat breakfast.
My best positive comment for this hotel is that it was in a good location for us to get to the Oregon Zoo and downtown Portland, but I can’t help wonder what we would have got for spending a few extra bucks for a better hotel. We paid $108/night including taxes and had a double queen “suite”. We later made jokes that we were staying in a “sour” . I can also note that the hotel staff was quick and courteous when I needed extra pillows and a coffee maker (the one that was supposed to be in my room was missing) and the cleaning staff placed my daughter’s stuffed animal and blankie on the bed like I have seen them do on cruise ships. She thought it was cute and it made her feel special.
I am a low maintenance traveler and basically just want a clean comfortable place to rest when traveling. This hotel was below my cleanliness standards (and I am NO Martha Stewart, by any means) and I think I was extra grossed out having to watch my kids run around on the dirty carpet in our room. I would be grossed out by the dirty comforters too but we tossed them in the corner for our 3 day stay and turned the heater up at night. I would not choose to stay at this hotel again, whether traveling with or without children.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank MB333
Reviewed August 24, 2006

I truly enjoyed my 10 day stay at the Shilo Inn. I would say that this chain of hotels is equivalent to most Laquintas, Red Roofs and Days Inns.

This particular hotel is clean and staff is nice. There is a washer and dryer in the hotel. Cost to use them is $1.50. The bar is full service and you can order from the restaurant menu even after the restaurant is close. This is very convenient for those that like to eat late.

The only problem I had was actually finding the hotel. I have traveled a lot, so it surprised me to find that it was easy to get lost looking for the hotel. After leaving the highway and looking for the hotel, you will find more than one street named Canyon (lane,rd,street,etc...) . My advice is to have great detailed directions from mapquest or look for the Canyon road - highway 8 exit. Once on highway 8, go straight ahead and look for the hotel which is right next to a car dealership.

I was also able to get to many stores and restaurants without leaving Canyon road. There is a small store directly across from the hotel. Further down there is a Kohls, Olive Garden, Red Robin and other well known places - no highway travel needed.

Last, this was my first time visiting the state of Oregon. The people are nice, overall customer service exceptional, and the attendants at the gas stations pump your gas (state law?).Now that is a great thing when it gets cold.

• Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank yoniy
Reviewed July 20, 2006

A bit below average place with a not to high price.
However when you pay about $100 for a night you would assume that the hotel management provides at least a clean and proper rooms for you to spend your night. (It did not) ..

This includes:
- Bed sheets that have had there glory days (means dirty, old looking and having holes in them) .. you can/should replace them with new ones.
- On hot summer days, there is nothing wrong with preparing the room for your guests arrival, which can include opening the windows or running the airco to prevent a heatwave and the smell of death coming at you at the moment of opening the door.
- Providing your guest with better pillows then the 2 dollar ones from ikea. (it slept like putting your head on a brick)

Ooow and what's up with the welcome gift of a small bottle of water for 1.50 ?? .. That was just funny :)
That's not a gift guys .. that's 1.50 too much :))

Anyways, if you are planning a weekend of kayaking, biking diving or whatever kind of activities and will be totally exhausted at the end .. then yes this is the place for you.
Different plans this weekend ??
Then keep searching for other possibilities to spend your night.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank huug
A TripAdvisor Member
Richland, WA
Reviewed July 7, 2006

We were soooo disappointed in the Shilo. There was an empty pop bottle under our bed, something that looked a lot like vomit on the side of the pool (which remained there for the 2 days we were there), crusted toothpaste on 2 of the plastic-wrapped cups and the grossest was blood on the pillow my daughter was about to lay her head on!

We complained to the man who brought us a new pillow and he said, "Oh, sorry." and at the front desk at check out. I'm not sure she even heard me. I DID fill out the cards and left one at the front desk and am planning on mailing the other one.

One other thing, the beds were incredibly hard. Both my husband and I woke up the next morning with backaches and not sleeping well. Even my 8 year old daughter mentioned how the beds were so hard. Would definitely NOT recommend this hotel or stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 19, 2006

I had never stayed at the Shilo chain and found it to be comfortable and clean. The rooms are simple but adequate and the pond with the fountain was nice. The Chinese Food for dinner and breakfast buffet were quite adequate.
This is a no frills hotel but the location and price were right. The lobby is a bit musty smelling but the rooms were fresh!

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business