“An absolute nightmare”

Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Beaverton
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We arrived on July 2nd. Upon getting into the room discovered very outdated unsanitary conditions, a quick google search revealed a large prostitution sting last year at the hotel. The door was an old key lock without a safety latch and the door into the main hallway where the room was wasn't lockable. After discovering all of this I asked the front door for a refund, that I'd like to stay somewhere safer. The front desk said they issued a refund and my card wouldn't be charged. Even gave me a 'receipt' stating that fact.

Imagine my surprise when they charged my card two days later. I called the hotel three times, without any answer. On the fourth time I did get an answer, but was hung up on after asking to speak to a manager. Now I have to go through BBB and my credit card company to get a refund.

I'm very disappointed, I've stayed at Shilo Inns before and never imagined this happening. I feel lied to and stolen from. I highly recommend spending a little more money for a safe, comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Alisha H
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear Alisha H,

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I also apologize that you felt unsafe at our property. You were not charged for you stay. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager

Reviewed July 6, 2014

A good bet when traveling to the Portland area. Close to zoo and downtown while having a fairly rural setting this motel is showing it's age yet remains a fair bargain when booked online. The water was less than warm however the staff responded fairly quickly and the problem was fixed. Parking lot in the lower unit was dark and scarey when returning at night. Single females (or males) without martial art skills should maybe think about getting a room in the upper building. Included breakfast was good. Coffee was excellent. Room chemicals (smelly stuff) are pretty heavy. Opening the window helps.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are down away from Canyon Blvd.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bradford7050
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2014

Dear Bradford7050,
Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely hope that you will choose us again the next time you are in the area. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I recently stayed here for 2 nights, booked via a bidding site. I then read reviews, and was a little worried, but I had no problems during my stay. The place is very much of a different era, which some people like and some don't. I will say it has character, and they don't build them like this anymore, especially the well tended gardens/pond or the old school restaurant on site. My room was pretty average - CRT TV (didn't come there to watch TV, barely used it), not much furniture, but bed and bedding looked modern and updated. Wifi worked. I had an upper floor room, and it was quiet. Hallways looked older, but I didn't spend much time there either. The place was booked full both nights I was there, but didn't hear any problematic noise. Breakfast was a surprise, with a decent buffet in addition to the advertised choices - made it seem like that much better value. I didn't suspect any parking security problems, neighborhood is commercial but not rough. Don't stay here expecting a pampering Ritz Carlton style resort, but for something a little quirky and not terribly expensive, it works. Staff were always friendly. I'd stay again.

2  Thank heckflosse

Dear heckflosse,
Thank you for choosing Shilo Inns and for your review. I am glad your stay met your expectations. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We were in town for a one night event down the road so chose Shilo because of the proximity. Got a decent price on a room and was pleasantly surprised. Although we didn't spend much time in the room, we got a good night's sleep, the room was quiet and the bed was comfy. Was only disappointed with the lack of wifi. Wish we could have tried out the pool but didn't get the time to do so. Breakfast was wonderful, expected the typical cup of coffee and packaged danish or "pour your own" waffles, but the free buffet had bacon, scrambled eggs, pancakes, muffins, fresh fruit and many other choices. The staff in the restaurant was great, and the front desk was very friendly. We would like to return when we have more time to take it all in.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Stayed here again in November of 2013. See my previous review from September of 2008. I return here because it is in a quiet area away from lots of activity, though many stores & restaurants just a short distance away. Very easy access to Hwy 26 to the north Oregon Coast; and Hwy 217 which connects I-5 to Hwy 26. On premises is the Mark Restaurant which serves a daily breakfast included in the price of the room. They also have a very nice dinner selection. There is also a separate complete bar, plus a "cigar lounge" if you're into that:) The outdoor pool & hot tub are nice features.
I noticed a previous reviewer had a concern for safety as the parking lots are not well lit. I'm an older single woman, and I've stayed here most of my life. It is right on a well-traveled road, but I've never felt unsafe or noticed strangers lurking around anywhere. If concerned, tell the staff when you make the reservation or call them directly. There are many rooms that are just a few steps away from the parking lots.

Room Tip: Room hint: My favorites are in the building just NORTH of the reception/restaurant area. Not much...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank fc646
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear fc646,
Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. We sincerely appreciate your choosing Shilo Inns. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager

Reviewed June 6, 2014

The parking lot is large and is not lit with trees and bushes all around it. Then I had to walk for a bit to an outside door that is never locked, down a long poorly lit hallway to a keyed room with just a thumb lock (no electronic locks). The sliding door to the garden is locked with a plastic poll in the door sill. On the positive: good breakfast, nice people. As a woman traveling alone I'd never stay there again.

Room Tip: Apparently they do have some rooms with electronic locks. Ask for one.

Dear Dusty F,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize that you did not feel safe and assure you that guest security is of utmost concern to us. I sincerely hope that you will allow us a future opportunity to earn your confidence. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager

Reviewed June 3, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times in the past. In general the service is very good, the people are friendly and they try to make all guests happy and comfortable. Recently I had made a reservation for just a one night stay (using one of the popular travel web sites like Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.) and found that when I arrived there was a mistake with the reservation. The only record available indicated that the reservation was for the night before. I was sure that was not the case. Long story short, the staff went out of their way to make sure I had a room worked out the date and rate issues behind the scenes, while I had a glass of wine in the bar. I appreciated the fact that mistakes happen, but, more importantly, good service to resolve problems and help a customer is what really matters. The hotel atmosphere is probably not for everyone, but I like the "old school" feel as long as it is clean, convenient, rates are reasonable and the people are friendly. Thanks for your help!

Dear Michael S,

Thank you for your review and for choosing Shilo Inns. We appreciate your being our valued guest and look forward to serving you again in the future. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager