“Probably won't be back”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Beaverton
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Do you have a pool?
"Yes, an outdoor one."
Great, we'll take a room.
Pool was broken and disgustingly dirty and was not ready when we could be available. Sad. Breakfast was spent listening to employees discussing something where they could not be seen but who were using profanity. We were VERY uncomfortable.
On the plus side, the room was fine and the bed was comfortable. It would be fine if you don't want to swim and don't care if the employees are not accommodating and foul mouthed.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank waldee
BeavertonGM, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2011

Dear Walde,

Thank you for your posting. I deeply apologize the pool was not ready for enjoyment upon your arrival. We had an unexpected mechanical problem with the heater that delayed our scheduled Memorial Day opening. Also, I apologize that you overheard comments from staff in The Mark Restaurant. Your concerns have been discussed with the food & beverage team and on their behalf, I apologize. I hope you will reconsider staying at the Shilo Hotel West again in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly at gary.sorrels@shiloinns.com with any additional comments.

Gary Sorrels
Shilo Hotel West

Reviewed June 1, 2011

Homey hotel, clean room - locks were old fashioned key, check in/check out took longer than necessary. it's an older hotel but the beds were comfortable.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Autumyulov,
Thank you for taking time to comment about your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed a clean and homey hotel and that the beds were comfortable. Your comments regarding longer than necessary check-in time is of concern and is being addressed with the front desk team. Please feel free to contact me directly at gary.sorrels@shiloinns.com with any additional comments.
Gary Sorrels
Shilo Hotel Beaverton

Reviewed December 21, 2010

Excellent for some, not for all. This is Not For You if you want a modern facility, devoid of personality, at a freeway interchange, surrounded by fast food restaurants - unless open to a pleasant change.

Enter a large, ranch style lobby, walk under a huge chandelier, to a classic wooden counter and a friendly smile. This motel-restaurant was built before the freeway bypassed Canyon Road, the shortcut into downtown Portland, 15 minutes away. Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the central garden and fountain. Plan to eat in the excellent dining room - not a coffee shop. Be bold; ask for something not on the menu. Whether special needs for your room or for your appetite, within reasonable limits, the staff will go out of their way to accommodate you - or they did for me.

As a businessman, conscious of value, this is the motel-hotel I stay in when visiting Portland. During 2010, I spent about 30 nights at this facility. The rooms are old-fashionedly large and I have an extra table brought in to allow me to work in my room. They also have rooms for meetings and social gatherings. Of course, I am fortunate not to need an elevator, nor do I mind the walk from my favorite, ground floor wing at breakfast time. What a pleasure to have an American breakfast, not a Continental.

On the other hand, I come to this facility knowing it is older, without all the most modern amenities. However, I have found it to be clean, comfortable, the restaurant first class, the staff and management committed to service, and an excellent value. How nice it is to be able to say that.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We came to this hotel because our young daughter was having surgery at OHSU. The night that my daughter was allowed to come back to the hotel, the staff here was very concerned for her and went out of their way to make her comfortable. The chef went out of his way to make her a bland broth soup. I went to the front desk to ask for more pillows for my daughter and the lady behind the desk almost beat me back to my room with the pillows. The next morning when I asked for more coffee for my room, they gave us extra just to be certain that we were comfortable. This hotel could not have made a scary experience any better had they delivered the surgeon to our room.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Mikespokey
Reviewed September 2, 2010

Room smelled like a broken sewer pipe and rug in front of vanity was soaken wet, gross! Maid didn't take out the dirty dishes from our room service that morning when she came to "clean" the room, what a joke! And she left our door ajar, not closed all the way which after a full day at the zoo and having dinner and getting back late, we were VERY lucky nothing got stolen!! Oh and after they gave us another room because I couldn't take that smell another second....... we noticed the bathroom had long hairs all over the floor, another gross out! We ordered a carafe of coffee from room service on the morning we were leaving and we were refused because the gal said there was nobody to bring it to us??? Um, room service starts at 6:00am and we asked for coffee at 6:30am. All in all.......the stay there was a BIG disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank karain02
Reviewed July 22, 2010

This was perfect! I came to Portland to visit friends/family over a long weekend in July. I was so happy with the Shilo. Not only did I get help whenever I needed it, but it was with a smile. The manager, Gary Weitzel, helped me out during my stay. I needed some ideas for touristy things to do in the area and he was able to direct me and my friends to some great desitinations. When we got back to the hotel, Gary was super helpful and friendly. He asked how our excursions were and truly seemed to care. When we asked for more towels for the pool, he got them for us.

We ate in the restaurant more than once. The bar menu in the lounge was delicious. We managed to try the Kobe burger and garlic sea salt fries--LOVE THEM, along with the potatoes with Gorgonzola cream sauce--my mouth is watering just writing this review. I WILL be back to this location and to the restaurant. The drinks were fabulous and they were perfectly blended cocktails.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights as it was the best value in the area and very convenient to the event I was attending. It's very close to main highways south of Portland, but off of a fairly quiet road, with woods on the other side. For a small extra fee you can request a room facing the pool / pond / courtyard, which I opted for, as quiet is crucial to my sleeping. I was on the middle floor of one of several buildings, and though I could hear some quiet footsteps above me, otherwise it was very quiet, even though the hotel looked fully booked.
Temperatures were in the 90's, and the room was warm when I checked in, but turning the fan on 'cool' brought it down to a comfortable temperature by bedtime. There were blackout curtains, as well as an inner sheerer set which could let in the light while affording privacy. There was a shared balcony with chairs, with locking sliding doors. The room was equiped with a fridge, microwave, TV, coffee pot and hairdryer. Even though this trip I was staying alone, I also appreciated that there were 2 sinks, one inside the bathroom. There were ice and soda machines on each floor and enough parking, much of it in the shade. There were 2 queen beds, with very firm mattresses and good pillows, of slightly different thicknesses (which I also appreciate).
The room came with a complimentary breakfast (up to a certain limit), which was not the usual 'buffet' style served in this type of hotel. Instead, it was served in the hotel restaurant, and although not exactly gourmet fare, there was good variety, and it was quite good. The service was prompt and friendly. I was checked in and out very quickly and efficiently. I especially appreciated the room cleaners - coffee, soap, shampoo, lotion and linens were replaced daily, and everything was clean.
Now for the quibbles: the shower had a steady drip (by closing the door, though, it wasn't bothersome); one sink plug didn't work at all, and the other leaked a bit, so didn't hold water long, so the place could use a good plumber. Despite a no smoking policy, my room did smell of old smoke slightly when I first arrived. After running the air conditioner and opening the balcony door for awhile, though it dissipated, and I didn't notice it after that.
In the courtyard there is a swimming pool, but my room overlooked a nearby pool with a fountain, which also was very peaceful. Overall, it was an excellent bargain, and the families staying there seemed to enjoy it as well.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo