“Clean hotel in a good location yet still affordable”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland West/Beaverton
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Beaverton
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The Fairfield Inn in Beaverton is definitely one of the better Fairfield Inn locations that I have stayed. It's outside of Portland, but still less than a 15 minute drive away from downtown. Being away from downtown, it's a nice quiet hotel with a large parking lot and free parking. The reception staff remembered my name when I checked out and then stayed again a few days later. The housekeeping staff seems very thorough as the rooms were very clean. The bed is also comfortable and provides a good night's sleep. The layout of the rooms are good, but the standard non-suite rooms may seem a little dark at times and could use a little more lighting. As for breakfast, they have a good selection of items at breakfast. It can get a little crowded during the busy morning hours, such as between 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM and there may not be enough tables/seats in their breakfast room during these times, but for a free breakfast, it does the job. I would stay here again the next time I'm in the Portland area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank flipsyde112

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Smart hotel. Large bedroom with massive bed, fridge coffee maker and microwave. Reception staff helpful and generally friendly. Lady clearing tables in breakfast room was lovely as were the cleaners. Breakfast was simple but good, but I don't like plastic plates and knife and forks.Would cerrtainly visit again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Sometimes it's important not to encounter any surprises. A clean and quiet room are definite pluses and you get free parking, free wireless and free breakfast. It's not too far outside of Portland and convenient to the Trimet Sunset station.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I debated whether or not to stay in Portland or outside in a surrounding city. Thinking of paying downtown hotel prices of $35-40/night for parking, I decided to take my chances at Fairfield Inn in Beaverton. I am so glad we did! It was only 12 minutes outside of the city and was very easy to get to. Parking was free and the hotel was right off the freeway. The neighborhood was safe, something that I was unsure of with any downtown hotel. We paid $84/night, which was almost half the price of a room downtown.

This Fairfield Inn was typical of most hotels in its chain, but surprisingly cleaner than most. I stayed on the first floor, which I thought was actually convenient, and wasn’t exactly at street level since the hotel was on a slight grade. The room was very clean and the bathroom was pretty spotless. You can always tell how clean the hotel is by the shower. Theirs was very clean and had no cracks or weird dirt in the grout lines.

The breakfast was the same every day: make your own waffle, scrambled eggs, turkey sausage (beyond yucky!), muffins, cereal, oatmeal and fruit salad. By the second day, I was ready to try somewhere else for breakfast, but I did appreciate the coffee and juice options.

The Front Desk service was also very nice and friendlier than other hotels I’ve stayed at.

I would definitely recommend staying here when visiting Portland!

Room Tip: Ask for the first floor for easy access.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I wasn't receiving any telemarketing calls before I booked my stay there, but I started getting them the very next day, several different callers, 7 days a week, and no I didn't give my phone number to anyone else. I've got one blinking on the answering machine right this minute.

The accommodations weren't worth the high cost for a cheap apartment (& I mean college life apartment) decorated with decent looking but very cheap Ikea type products.

Pros:

- Big TV: maybe 46 inch? It's close to the bed so looks plenty big.
- Continental Breakfast: I've seen better available, & I've seen worse. I'll be nice & call it a Pro since there was a decent variety of offerings (u-make waffles, simple scrambled eggs, cheap sausage patty, toast, a few cereals, coffee, a couple juices), but eating a waffle & eggs with plastic utensils sucked...waffle inevitably got cold while I struggled. You don't want to struggle with this junk 1st thing in the morning.
- Pillow was soft: I like this; however it was the smallest sleeping pillow I've ever seen, about 2/3 your average pillow. My head kept finding itself off of it.
- Bed: Generally very firm, but a soft surface, so more tolerable (if you like soft beds).
- Shower water pressure could have been worse.
- There were 2 luggage carts in the entrance.

Middles:

- Towels: Did the job, but pretty thin & well worn. Quality didn't match the room price, but I've seen worse too.
- 2 bars of soap, 1 for shower/tub, 1 for sink.
- Our room had a mini-fridge, dresser, pull-out sleeper bed, chair, coffee maker, 1 coffee package of regular & decaf (1 coffee package made 2 cups?). I didn't try these things...the furniture looked Ikea-hard.
- Ice bucket with ice bag.
- Parking: The property/parking lot slopes downward quite a bit from south to north, from the entrance toward the back, so be advised if you need to do much walking from your parked car to the hotel; particularly not fun when using a luggage cart & having to hold it at your car while you load/unload. But at the entrance is a small 1/2-circle driveway where you can park & load/unload. Kinda convenient, but not in regards to having to go get your car & leave it there.
- In the morning, it looked like 90% of the people at the breakfast were there for business.
- Accommodations can be pretty hard to find in West Portland. I found this place to be at the lowest end (price & quality wise) of the category where you're NOT having to deal with people there strictly to party or the like. I paid around $205 for the night, single king bed. I couldn't find mid-range hotels, only $80 tread carefully types, or those trying to be $200+ fancy.
- There's a (Tomato something) restaurant next door (closed about 9 pm), & an Elmer's restaurant about a block away (closed about 10 pm).
- Think I saw a pool. Didn't go in or look around.

Cons:

- DAILY Telemarketing calls at home since booked my stay there, 7 days/week, when prior I had NONE.
- I asked for a quiet room location when booked. When I arrived at the desk & asked again, without looking up or including any personality she said "It's quiet." That's it. Gee, thanks. It was at the end of the hall so I guess that's as good as they can do. There were stairs 10 feet away, people above & across, maybe next door, maids next door in the morning. Just don't count on quiet. Could hear quite a bit from upstairs...walking around, plumbing...the place isn't that solid. I asked for quiet & got a room on the 2nd floor of what I'm pretty sure is a 3 floor hotel...which is a location ideal for experiencing noise.
- No fan in the bathroom. So humidity lingers, odors also, & don't have a problem hearing your companies "business."
- Cheap college apartment type shower. Low shower head, semi-effective shower head, no sill to hold your soap, narrow tub, cheap looking.
- Toilet paper: Let's just say my body had repair work to do when I got home...but I did have to use sandpaper tp elsewhere that day so they don't get all the blame.
- Sink area: Tiny, esp for 2 people. 3 feet wide, 2 feet deep, sink takes up 2/3 to 3/4 of the space. No other counter space.
- 1/2" gap under front door & your sink is 2 feet way, your bathroom is about 4 feet away, your bed 5-6 feet way, so anybody in the hall is going to hear pretty much everything loud & clear. I could very clearly hear people's tvs & some conversations (No, I didn't pay attention : ) while in the hallway.

Room Tip: Maybe if you can book way in advance you can get a top floor room & have better odds of more qui...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank FreeWithPantsOn
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I would love to give this hotel five circles, but the staff almost made it three. They all acted like they had better places to be, and helped when asked, but nobody went out of their way, and when we had questions, or even a "good morning" they were clear they didn't want to be disturbed.

The rooms were clean and quiet so I quiet and the value excellent. They do have free internet, another bonus.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Readers of my reviews know that some members of my family can't tolerate smelly cleaning products. My rankings thus take into account how well the facility responds to a request for a "light cleaning." Fairfield did a great job on that score. As for the Fairfield's other features, I agree with rosepatch63's review -- and second that the breakfast is better than the usual at such places.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sox_Fan47
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaverton
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Beaverton
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland - Beaverton
Homewood Suites by Hilton-Hillsboro/Beaverton
Courtyard Portland Beaverton
Comfort Inn & Suites Beaverton - Portland West
Hampton Inn & Suites Portland / Hillsboro-Evergreen Park

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland West/Beaverton? Share your experiences!