“Now I get Daily Telemarketing calls”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland West/Beaverton
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Beaverton
Cannon Beach, Oregon
“Now I get Daily Telemarketing calls”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I wasn't receiving any telemarketing calls before I booked my stay there, but I started getting them the very next day, several different callers, 7 days a week, and no I didn't give my phone number to anyone else. I've got one blinking on the answering machine right this minute.

The accommodations weren't worth the high cost for a cheap apartment (& I mean college life apartment) decorated with decent looking but very cheap Ikea type products.

Pros:

- Big TV: maybe 46 inch? It's close to the bed so looks plenty big.
- Continental Breakfast: I've seen better available, & I've seen worse. I'll be nice & call it a Pro since there was a decent variety of offerings (u-make waffles, simple scrambled eggs, cheap sausage patty, toast, a few cereals, coffee, a couple juices), but eating a waffle & eggs with plastic utensils sucked...waffle inevitably got cold while I struggled. You don't want to struggle with this junk 1st thing in the morning.
- Pillow was soft: I like this; however it was the smallest sleeping pillow I've ever seen, about 2/3 your average pillow. My head kept finding itself off of it.
- Bed: Generally very firm, but a soft surface, so more tolerable (if you like soft beds).
- Shower water pressure could have been worse.
- There were 2 luggage carts in the entrance.

Middles:

- Towels: Did the job, but pretty thin & well worn. Quality didn't match the room price, but I've seen worse too.
- 2 bars of soap, 1 for shower/tub, 1 for sink.
- Our room had a mini-fridge, dresser, pull-out sleeper bed, chair, coffee maker, 1 coffee package of regular & decaf (1 coffee package made 2 cups?). I didn't try these things...the furniture looked Ikea-hard.
- Ice bucket with ice bag.
- Parking: The property/parking lot slopes downward quite a bit from south to north, from the entrance toward the back, so be advised if you need to do much walking from your parked car to the hotel; particularly not fun when using a luggage cart & having to hold it at your car while you load/unload. But at the entrance is a small 1/2-circle driveway where you can park & load/unload. Kinda convenient, but not in regards to having to go get your car & leave it there.
- In the morning, it looked like 90% of the people at the breakfast were there for business.
- Accommodations can be pretty hard to find in West Portland. I found this place to be at the lowest end (price & quality wise) of the category where you're NOT having to deal with people there strictly to party or the like. I paid around $205 for the night, single king bed. I couldn't find mid-range hotels, only $80 tread carefully types, or those trying to be $200+ fancy.
- There's a (Tomato something) restaurant next door (closed about 9 pm), & an Elmer's restaurant about a block away (closed about 10 pm).
- Think I saw a pool. Didn't go in or look around.

Cons:

- DAILY Telemarketing calls at home since booked my stay there, 7 days/week, when prior I had NONE.
- I asked for a quiet room location when booked. When I arrived at the desk & asked again, without looking up or including any personality she said "It's quiet." That's it. Gee, thanks. It was at the end of the hall so I guess that's as good as they can do. There were stairs 10 feet away, people above & across, maybe next door, maids next door in the morning. Just don't count on quiet. Could hear quite a bit from upstairs...walking around, plumbing...the place isn't that solid. I asked for quiet & got a room on the 2nd floor of what I'm pretty sure is a 3 floor hotel...which is a location ideal for experiencing noise.
- No fan in the bathroom. So humidity lingers, odors also, & don't have a problem hearing your companies "business."
- Cheap college apartment type shower. Low shower head, semi-effective shower head, no sill to hold your soap, narrow tub, cheap looking.
- Toilet paper: Let's just say my body had repair work to do when I got home...but I did have to use sandpaper tp elsewhere that day so they don't get all the blame.
- Sink area: Tiny, esp for 2 people. 3 feet wide, 2 feet deep, sink takes up 2/3 to 3/4 of the space. No other counter space.
- 1/2" gap under front door & your sink is 2 feet way, your bathroom is about 4 feet away, your bed 5-6 feet way, so anybody in the hall is going to hear pretty much everything loud & clear. I could very clearly hear people's tvs & some conversations (No, I didn't pay attention : ) while in the hallway.

Room Tip: Maybe if you can book way in advance you can get a top floor room & have better odds of more qui...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank FreeWithPantsOn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Helena
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I would love to give this hotel five circles, but the staff almost made it three. They all acted like they had better places to be, and helped when asked, but nobody went out of their way, and when we had questions, or even a "good morning" they were clear they didn't want to be disturbed.

The rooms were clean and quiet so I quiet and the value excellent. They do have free internet, another bonus.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Readers of my reviews know that some members of my family can't tolerate smelly cleaning products. My rankings thus take into account how well the facility responds to a request for a "light cleaning." Fairfield did a great job on that score. As for the Fairfield's other features, I agree with rosepatch63's review -- and second that the breakfast is better than the usual at such places.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sox_Fan47
Missoula, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We've stayed here many times over the last few years, and have always been pleased with our room, the pool, breakfast room, and all public areas. Clean and spiffy. Friendly and helpful staff. This year we found that a big reno had been done--very nice. The new carpets are a little eye-popping :) Quite the busy graphic pattern--may make you dizzy! We were traveling with little ones this year and loved staying on the ground floor--knowing their excitement and running feet weren't bothering anyone. Even the ground-floor rooms (east side) are bright and pleasant, not basement-y. Because of this hotel and nearby shopping/restaurants, we've changed our Portland MO and now wouldn't even consider staying downtown. This is close enough to do all our favorite Portland activities and spend the night in comfortable, relatively inexpensive accommodations. Great place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Gambier, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was satisfied in all respects with this hotel. It was a good value for the money and well located, clean, easy to find and not very far from downtown. Breakfast good and generous. Turkey sausage instead of regular greasy type. Refrigerator but no microwave.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have started staying here one week a month every other month and found it to be a decent and clean property. The front desk staff are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast in the morning doesn't provide the variety that others do but it works. There is a decent restaurant about a block away called Elmers which is pretty good. There is a large buffet next door.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Nothing about this hotel sticks out as either amazing or poor. The room was clean, the bedding and pillows comfortable, and the breakfast was good. The bathroom left a little to be desired: soaps and shampoos were a little below average, the shower-head is installed so a 6' tall guy has to duck to get his head wet, and the knob to adjust the water-flow type from spray to massage didn't do much.

I picked it for its proximity to the Nike campus and may stay there again for that reason alone.

Room Tip: The parking lot fills up at the front pretty quick and has a steep slope. Get a room by one of the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business