“put in a room where someone burnt popcorn”

Hilton Garden Inn Portland Beaverton
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Beaverton
Seattle, Washington
“put in a room where someone burnt popcorn”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed with the Hilton Garden Inn at Beaverton. When we arrived late (which we notified the front desk earlier that we would be coming in late), they gave us the keys, we were almost ready to open the door when the front desk woman came running up saying they switched us to another room. When we got to that room, it was saturated with the odor of burnt popcorn, the window was open so we knew the hotel knew the odor was present. We thought we would get used to the stench but it was bad. The next day (since we got in late), we let them know and they said they would send someone up with some spray.... we we got back and it seemed to be worse, we then went and got our own spray deoderizer (Frabreeze) and sprayed the room which helped. The question I raise is, WHY would the front desk put paying customers in a room they knew had a smell of burnt popcorn. Just because of that I will probably go stay at your competitor any time I am in need of a hotel room and will not recommend your hotel to others. And that's why I am posting here, so others may choose to go elsewhere as well. I have stayed at the Garden inns on previous occasions with good results but this time was one of the most unpleasant stays I have had. Please make sure they don't do that to other paying customers and I hope the policy of "Make it right" policy stands where if my stay was not a good one the company would make it right.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TG_Pickleball
mupchurch, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Beaverton, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your recent stay. I'm sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations in every way. I have forwarded your comments on to our housekeeping staff so that we may follow up accordingly and review possible areas of opportunities in the future. Should you need additional assistance, please contact the hotel directly.

Regards,
MacKenzie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We arrived at the Hilton Garden Inn around 8:30 p.m. It was a little difficult finding this hotel but it was well worth it. Check-in was quick and staff was very friendly. Gals provided excellent maps of downtown Portland and always had a smile they greeted us. Our room was away from the elevators and was a very quiet room. Bed was a little too soft for me but the room was excellent (very spacious). The refridgerator & microwave was a nice surprise. Not much of a view from our room though, but it served our purpose. Breakfast was excellent, made to order omelettes, pancakes, belgian waffles. Fresh fruit with cottage cheese, yogurt, muffins, toasts, juices, cereals, oatmeal. This was one of my best breakfasts in the US. Pool and hot tub was a nice surprise (although a little small). Lots of parking stalls with in and out privileges. Complimentary computer room was an added plus. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate in the main lobby was a good way to relax by the fire and to read a good book.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Plesant Prairie, WI
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This is a best surprise is no surprise place. Basically everything is clean and works as it should. The staff is friendly (although they tend to remove the cookie dish too early!) and the couple of minor problems I reported were promptly fixed (the refrigerator perhaps "over fixed" as it's now freezing my soda!). Location is good next to a Sweet Tomatoes. Nice chair and desk and sufficient outlets. WiFi was a bit slow at times in the room but acceptable.

Now for the "but" part...

They have a nice business center but you have to keep resetting the computer after 15 minutes (and you do lose what you're working on). This isn't appropriate for business travelers and is simply unacceptable. It's almost insulting. For an otherwise nice place it's cheap and tacky and there's no excuse for it -- NONE (so I don't want to hear some fluff from hotel management in repines because there simply is no excuse). Not enough to make me go elsewhere but still unbelievably cheap and tacky!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the majority of your stay with us. As for your business center comments: we checked it out for ourselves, and couldn't agree more! We have lengthened the sessions to over an hour and by the end of the month will have new PC's available for our guest's use as well. We appreciate your constructive feedback as are always looking for ways to grow and improve! Please stay with again the next time you are in Portland so that we may continue to demonstrate our commitment to service.

Safe Travels!

MacKenzie
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed June 17, 2012

A good quiet room. Clean bathroom. Very friendly and helpful staff. Could work out free at the 24 hour fitness across the parking lot, which was awesome! I gave it a 4 because, the rooms with 2 queens, the beds were a little uncomfortable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Montana City, Montana
Reviewed May 27, 2012

When traveling I usually choose Hilton hotels because I can count on them to be clean and comfortable. This was a typical hilton hotel. Staff was friendly, room was clean. Bed and pillows were comfortable. I love that they always provide soft pillows as well as firmer ones. This works great for myself and my husband as I like my pillows soft and he doesn't! Pool was small but nice. Fitness room was adequate. I would have liked to have had breakfast included in the price of the room but worked out that we ate breakfast in another town anyway. Hotel was really easy to find also.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I've stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for 2 nights and it was an excellent choice. Starting from a very friendly and helpful frontdesk to comfortable rooms. Room was quite large, well maintained, and quiet. Bathroom was pretty much standard, but clean.

Breakfast was included in my booking and had a nice buffet-style selection. Definitely worth it, even if you have to pay for it separately.

A couple negatives: bottled water for $4, room is covered with the typical advertising stuff etc.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ZwennK
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I have stayed at this property on and off for several years when I visit a couple of large sportswear companies on business. This property is a typical Hilton Garden Inn, but I consider HGIs to be a good "typical".

The property is located right off the 26 highway in a cluster of two other hotels. They have build a new mega-fitness complex on the adjacent property which adds a lot to the congestion of the area. The front desk staff was friendly and check-in was efficient. The room (king) was fine with a small fridge, microwave and that very comfortable adjustable mattress that HGI properties use. The TV was a flat screen but there were no HD channels among the 30-ish or so available. There is wired and wireless Internet available (I used wired) and the speed was acceptable most of the time, but one night slowed to a crawl.

There is an in-house restaurant that offers a really good breakfast - cooked to order eggs and buffet for everything else. There is evening bar and food service which was just OK. The evening wait staff seem to juggle handling both the dining room and room service so service could be a little uneven.

If I have to return to the Beaverton area, I would definitely have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaverton
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland - Beaverton
Homewood Suites by Hilton-Hillsboro/Beaverton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland West/Beaverton
Comfort Inn & Suites West
Comfort Inn & Suites West
#4 of 12 in Beaverton
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Hillsboro, Oregon
Courtyard Portland Beaverton

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Portland Beaverton? Share your experiences!