“Down at the heels, but on the water”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Bandon Beach Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bandon
Bandon Beach Motel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Bandon
Seattle, Washington
“Down at the heels, but on the water”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2009

Tripadvisor reviews inspired us to book a room at this place which is a blast from the past with linoleum where you want tile and formica where you want marble and the decor is "country housewife."

Comfortable beds come with those tiny bars of soap you haven't seen in years and thin, skimpy towels.

We were shown a standard room for $75 and a corner room for $115. We took the corner room on the first floor which had a great view of the stromy ocean but windows that opened onto a parking lot and public path that gave locals and visitors a view of us if we kept the curtains open.

On the up side, the manager and his wife were charming.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wonderfulworld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Jackson, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2009

The motel is older but clean and comfortable and we had everything we needed provided with a smile. The managers are working daily to make it more up-to-date. The price was reasonable and the location is outstanding. It is on a cliff above the beach but there are stairs going down to the water's edge. Built into the stairway are landings with benches.
The view is the best we've ever had. The weather was beautiful and clear but of course it is the coast so weather is variable and certainly not the fault of the management. We will always go there when we are traveling that way.

2 Thank Jkson
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2009

Have you ever been to a place that just takes your breath away? A place so magical and awe-inspiring that the images become emblazoned into your memory forever? Well, for me, the Bandon Beach Motel, surrounding beach and Wildlife Refuge is that place. My partner and I decided to take one night away from the family vacation we were on with my little sister and niece to spend some much needed and deserved alone-time together. After consulting Tripadvisor.com, we decided that a trip to the coast would be just what we needed to renew our minds and spirit. This was to be my first time visiting the Pacific Ocean and after traveling up and down the U.S. East Coast and many parts of the Euro-West Coast, I was expecting to see some of the same coastal settings that I had witnessed before; boy was I wrong!

Our drive from Roseburg took approximately 2 1/2 hours and was almost as magical as the coast itself. A sea of green, yellow, and orange twisted and curved through a hilly woodland paradise smelling of fresh pine and burning wood. *HINT* For those of you who wish to be a little more adventurous, take Lampa Lane (the back-way), which can be found by turning left on Spruce Street once you enter Myrtle Point. This tiny, back-country road provides a unique glimpse of the Oregon countryside and forces you to slow down and enjoy the beautiful landscape set before you. Lampa Lane ends at OR-42S, just seven miles outside Bandon.

We drove into Bandon-by-the-Sea expecting to be under the marine layer we thought we spotted from afar. However, upon our arrival we were greeted by fair skies and bright, abundant sunshine. We followed the directions posted on the website and drove slowly down 11th St SW admiring the quaint sea-side bungalows and serene-looking cypress trees. I, myself, could hardly wait to even put the car in park before jumping out and running behind the motel to witness one of the most breath-taking and picturesque spots I had ever been privileged to observe. The look on my partner's face upon arriving at the beach brought so much peace to my heart and soul that it made all the traveling we had accomplished together absolutely worthwhile. After taking what seemed like 1000 pictures, we decided to check-in to our room. The staff welcomed us with a big smile and tended to our rather limited needs with a caring sense of being that only added to the complete satisfaction of what was right outside our motel room door.

Our room, #209, was very clean, quaint, with a fireplace, and an incredible view facing west out over Kronenburg County Park which is also a part of the Oregon Wildlife Refuge for birds and other sea-creatures. About half of the rooms or those with fireplaces, face west, while the others face to the south/southwest and have shared patios or balconies. Every room appeared to have stunning views of the scenic Oregon coastline. The low-season rates are very attractive, but for those of you who may be reading this, please note that this is not a Hilton or Marriott Hotel and the amenities you may be used to you may not find here. The room however was functional with all the basic conveniences including free WiFi and cable television. But why would you want to stay inside to watch TV when right outside your door is one of nature's greatest gifts?

In my opinion, the Bandon Beach Motel's location is the best in Bandon. Perched high upon a rocky cliff overlooking the majestic Pacific Ocean one cannot help but be completely captivated by the sights, sounds, and smells that envelope every bit of your being. Plus, head into Old Town Bandon a few minutes away via Ocean Drive and soak up the views north toward the jetty. You'll probably spend most of your time on the beach below the hotel or sitting on one of the many park benches in the park above observing the seemingly endless views of the Pacific Ocean. If the tide is out, definitely head down to the beach for some amazing sites! We spent hours walking the shore, climbing rocks, and taking pictures of the various marine life including orange and purple starfish, sea-anemones, seals and believe it or not a few surfers brave enough to endure the ocean's numbing temperature and abusive waves.

I cannot say enough about how magical our stay at the Bandon Beach Motel turned out to be. I will always treasure the memories of this place and would refer it to anyone who just wanted to get away and become apart of something greater than themselves. Thank you Bandon Beach Motel, its staff, and of course, beautiful Mother Nature for allowing us to be apart of your creation.

This motel is all about your senses and if the location doesn't stir you, nothing will.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank n_esmonde
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2009

I was on the Oregon Coast in September to rejuvenate and wow was this ever the place. I planned to stay one night and stayed four. The rooms were totally remodeled and so cozy. I have never felt so taken care of by a staff. Everyone was so friendly and caring. The beaches below the hotel are magnificent. I am plotting my next visit when I can go to sleep and wake to the sound of the waves. Thank you

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank greatfulgirl
Maumee Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

Deceiving from the outside, economically priced, large tooms, superb location for ocean lovers and great service makes this motel stand out from the others. We live in Scotland but certainly hope to return to this location!

2 Thank Rover65MaumeeOhio
Graham,Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2009

My husband and I were very satisfied with room #209 at this fine hotel. The room was spotlessly clean and comfortably furnished, featuring a hardwood floor and real fireplace. From the moment we checked in, we were made to feel like family by the hotel owners. There were paved pathways outside this hotel which hugged the coastline and had numerous benches- perfect for watching a romantic sunset. A large staircase was conveniently footsteps away and led down to the beach. While this is not a luxury hotel, it would be hard to beat the VIP service or breathtaking views that this hotel offers its guests.

2 Thank HungarianBeachLover
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

I stayed here for one night during a two week Oregon road trip based on the Trip Advisor ratings and was not disappointed. I stayed in Room 106, which was the largest (and most expensive) guest room. The windows offered us sweeping vistas of a beach that really defied description; more because most people would not believe all the superlatives. Gorgeous sums it up.

The hotel is located on a lovely and lonely precipice on the very edge of the Oregon Islands National Wildlife Refuge. Stairs lead down to the beach, which has incredible rock formations, tide pools, sweeping views and more professional photographers setting positioning tripods than I honestly think I've ever seen anywhere else.

Addressing another reviewers comments... I could probably agree that there are likely other accommodations in Bandon that are more luxurious with more contemporary design. However, Bandon is ALL about this beach. The town rolls up the sidewalks around 6:00 PM and reopens between 10:00 AM & 11:00 AM. The beach is what it is all about. You could stay in town, but you'd be sitting in your hotel room or driving up to this very location to go to the beach until bedtime.

The set-up is traditional roadside motor inn. Park outside. Walk up through open breeze-ways to your room. Turn key and enter.

The decor wasn't mind blowing, but it was adequate and certainly practical as a beachside motel. The balcony was small, but I couldn't imagine sitting in my room or on my balcony when I could step outside and enjoy the full view.

I have to compliment the staff here. It is family run and the family is constantly on the run. They are management, front desk, landscaping, maintenance, housekeeping, and reservation desk. It was incredible to see that all of their reserbations and bookings are done through a big ledger book - no computers at all. I do commend them for the effort.

If you are simply slipping through Bandon and need a roadside accommodation, certainly choose any place that suits your budget. If Bandon is a destination stop for you, then it is because you want to visit the beach. In that case, this is where you want to be.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a friend with a footnote that this place is all about location. Not luxury. Not amenities. Not quality of pillows or towels. You stay here because you love the outdoors, adventure, and an incomparable setting.

My only criticism is that, of the three windows in our room, the two facing the ocean were stationary and did not open. We would have loved to have them open to hear the ocean and feel a rush of ocean air. The bed was comfortable, but there seems to be a disposition in Oregon toward Queen-size beds over King-size beds. I encountered this a number of times during our two weeks in Oregon and will only book king rooms in the future.

4 Thank BrooklynRider
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandon
Sunset Oceanfront Lodging
Edgewater Inn
#3 of 7 in Coos Bay
Plainview Motel & RV Park
Windermere on the Beach

Been to Bandon Beach Motel? Share your experiences!