“Retro charm.”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Bandon
Roseburg, Oregon
“Retro charm.”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Windermere in one of their "Traditional Family Cottages," unit #8. It was clean, and fresh with updated flooring and furniture, but still instantly recognizable as the same hotel I stayed in as a child over 30 years ago. The current owners and managers have done a wonderful job of updating and refreshing without stripping away the vintage charm.

The view from my room was fantastic and beach access is easy via a few steps and a well-maintained path. It's a pleasant stroll north to great views of Face Rock and other impressive sea stacks.

My room had a flat panel TV with a wide array of satelite channels. The Wi-Fi worked great for my tablet and smart phone. My cottage was cozy rather than spacious and the bathroom was small (no tub, no counter space), but was clean and fresh with vintage fixtures and old-fashioned woodwork. I was alone this trip and didn't need the upstairs beds, but the cottage would be perfect for a small family (Queen bed downstairs, 2 doubles upstairs). The online photos simply do not do the place justice.

The front desk staff were cheerful, friendly and very helpful. They directed me to a charming restaurant on the waterfront with a great view of the lighthouse and marvelous fresh baked bread.

Bottom line? If you're looking for forgettable, high-gloss, cookie-cutter luxury, then the Windermere probably isn't for you. After all, this isn't an anonymous suite in a name-brand hotel chain.

BUT if you're looking for a great view, room for the family, a one-of-a-kind hotel, and a vacation that your children will remember fondly over 30 years later, then the Windermere is the one for you!

Room Tip: Family cottages have kitchenettes and decks.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Barbara O
VisitWindermere, Manager at Windermere on the Beach, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Wow! Thanks for the amazing review. The owners have done a great job preserving the charm while updating amenities. The Windermere is a special property and I'm so happy you can enjoy it now as well as savoring your fond memories! See you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Our king/fireplace room was comfortable, quiet, clean, & spacious, with nice reading chairs and secure wi-fi. The kitchenette is equipped w/basic pots/pans, etc. to prepare a meal w/ingredients purchased at Ray's Grocery Store in Bandon (or in a larger Fred Meyer before you leave Brookings or Coos Bay). The view of the beach and offshore rock formations is beautiful, and the path to the beach is convenient from the Windermere property. Walking/running along Beach Loop Dr. is pleasant, too. I definitely recommend the Windermere!

Room Tip: The downstairs King w/fireplace at the south end is perhaps more spacious than units to the north.
1 Thank CascadeSalem
Thank you for the review! It sounds like you had a wonderful visit with us, and we hope you return soon!
Jacksonville, Oregon
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed in a lower level king, and never heard anything from those guests staying beside or above us. The bed was very comfortable, and the room had everything we needed, including great access to the beach and a view of the breaking waves from our room.
The innkeepers were friendly and helpful, and we definitely recommend a stay at this well-kept property. We'll be back.

2 Thank Karin C
Thank you for the review! The Windermere is a great place for peaceful relaxation. We hope to see you again!
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Our needed get-away turned into a celebration as we set out to the Windermere. The immaculate yet very cozy accommodations were perfect and exceeded all of our expectations. Even the staff exuded a warmth and welcome like that of old friends that one has just met. I'm certain that our concierge had something to do with the beautiful weather as well. The location of the buildings amplified the symphony of the waves with a panoramic view that couldn't have been better. As Arnold says, "I'll be back!" Thursday, #24.

1 Thank Lawrence B
Thank you for the fantastic review! I would love to take credit for the amazing weather here, but rain or shine the Windermere is a great place to take it all in! Hope to see you soon!
Talent, Oregon
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Yeah I said it. If you stay anywhere else it might be ok, but it might not be. The Windermere will be good. There are lots of hotel on the Southern Oregon coast that promise to be "on the beach" and while they're close they aren't really "on the beach" but instead a quarter mile walk. The Windermere is truly on the beach.

Very nice rooms, all with great beach views. You could show up here and not leave the hotel and beach area and it would make a wonderful vacation. Clean rooms with satellite TV.

Friendly helpful staff that gladly gives recommendations (and good ones too).

As a side note my GPS directed me to turn RIGHT at the T-intersection to reach the Windermere. The correct direction is to go left. There is a handy giant sign at the intersection but this doesn't help when it's dark out. So turn left.

3 Thank Nick M
You're right! We are truly on the beach, with all of our rooms having fantastic views! We're happy you enjoyed the Windermere and our recommendations! See you soon!
Gasquet
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We live just 100 miles southeast of the Windermere. We live inland, it's been Windy!!, and the weather on the Pacific beach has been Wonderful warm! so, we decided to head north, up the coast. We chose the Windermere in Bandon because it is dog friendly, and could not have been happier with the choice!!
We stayed in a "Traditional Room".. It feels like a little cottage...beautiful old wood trim around the doors and windows ..really nice!!!...the easy chairs are "outdated" and the bedspread was "dark". With these two items updated...this would be one Sweet room!... On the plus side... There is not one cobweb one! {and I don't mind spiders} The bath is small, but very clean and the shower insert new. The flatware, tableware and pots n pans are supplied, clean, new and Usable! Perfect amount, and perfect wine glasses......The little place just grows on you!

The dunes and the beach are right outside your door!! There is not a "bad" room here. They all do face the beach.
Bottom line. We travel with our well socialized dogs. This place is Perfect! Access to the miles of beach was right out our back door. The dogs ran for days. {and, it was a beach that was OK for dogs!} We met a few other dogs. No prob.

The sunset and AM moonsets were unbelievable:)

I cannot imagine that we will not return here.
It is the perfect drive for a weekend get a way for us, and it was Perfect for our Dog family!!
We encourage anyone from Del Norte. or Humboldt Counties, CA, to enjoy this lil gem
Ironically, we spent A Lot of time at the Bandon Marsh Nat. Wildlife Refuge(NWR), Ni-les'tun Unit, Coquille Pointe Unit, and Oregon Islands NWR. None which allow dogs for good reason. Best birding. Birds nesting. Dogs get over it.

But, when we got home to the Windemere, the dogs could run free on the beach. The Best!!

enjoy

Room Tip: The "deluxe rooms" are the new additions on either end of the property. All rooms, "...
2 Thank zerverovers
Thank you for the review! We love dogs here at the Windermere! This winter we have purchased a lot of new furniture, and chairs were on the list! We hope you can return soon with your canine friends!
Oregon
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This year, for my mother's 90th birthday, we stayed in Bandon at the Windermere to celebrate.

She and my father brought me to Bandon and the Windermere for the first time in April, 1951 when I was just turning 2 years old. Thereafter, we visited Bandon about once a year while I was growing up, typically staying at the Windermere two nights each summer. I carried the tradition of visiting Bandon and staying at the Windermere into adulthood, visiting most years alone or accompanied by friends or family members.

For visitors new to the Windermere and/or Bandon, the Windermere is a lovely place to stay. There are ocean views from every unit, ready access to the beach, ocean sounds at night (and windows you can open to hear it), and generally its quiet, clean, and the staff, helpful. For the ambitious walker, you can walk to Old Town and back, mostly along the beach. Mother and I got as far as Face Rock before we headed up the stairs there (yes, she made it) and then walked on the Beach Loop back to the Windermere (about .8 miles back).

Mother and I stayed in Number 1, the updated family cottage. This unit was remodeled several years ago. What I liked best about it was the redone stairway. Not only is the steepness of the stairs reduced and the stairs carpeted but the squeakiness is also missing, now. The rest? New curtains, new trim (kitchen counter, sink, faucet, etc.), a king bed downstairs (the shelving removed between the kitchen and bed), new fixtures in the bathroom, more electrical outlets (just guessing on this one) and two flat screen TVs were other changes. All-in-all, it still feels like the older styled cottages but with a fresher look and much improved stairway.

On a more critical note, the TV upstairs did not seem to have the same array of channels as the one downstairs. (Admittedly, I am not an expert on cable TV as I never purchase it!) I wanted to watch a PBS mystery -- could find it on the TV downstairs but not on the one upstairs. Nor could I find channels for NBC, CBS, ABC on the TV upstairs. And it seemed colder upstairs to me -- Could be the wall heater is placed in a different location in this updated unit than the older cottage units and the warmer air does not circulate upstairs as well -- just guessing on this.

For those new to Bandon, it is a wonderful place to visit. First, the beaches are beautiful and clean because of the mission of "Washed Ashore" -- a nonprofit that creates art out of trash (plastic) washed up on the beaches. Collect any plastic you might find on your beach walk and take it to Washed Ashore (325 2'nd Ave) to recycle. Second, I like to tell others that no visitor starves in Bandon. Head for the Face Rock Creamery for free cheese samples and to Cranberry Sweets & More to sample the candy. Third, Bandon appears to be well-loved and cared for by its community members and supporters. For example, Old Town Bandon Harbor is a creation from the community containing sculptured sea creatures and benches, a glass shelter for picnics and viewing on stormy days, and memorial pathways. I enjoy the shops, here as well, have favorites I always visit, and support the ones I like best by making yearly purchases! Finally, Nature has been good to Bandon -- its beaches, parks, the sunsets and sunrises. And, if you like golf, yes, there is a world class golf course, now!

So, visit Bandon and stay at the Windermere. You can't go wrong.

Room Tip: All rooms (units) have ocean views. When staying with others, I like the family cottages. When stayi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Suni14
Thank you for the review! #1 is a really nice room! The stairs are a nice addition. How wonderful to have a childhood retreat to return to. The Windermere is a special place. We hope to see you and your mother again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandon
Best Western Inn at Face Rock
Edgewater Inn
Edgewater Inn
#3 of 7 in Coos Bay
Plainview Motel & RV Park

Been to Windermere on the Beach? Share your experiences!