“Excellent education opportunity!”

West Coast Game Park Safari
Ranked #4 of 23 things to do in Bandon
More attraction details
Owner description: The United State's largest wild animal petting park.
Reviewed April 24, 2007

As a professional zoologist of 40 years, I wholeheartedly, but respectfully, disagree with the last review. These animals are lovingly cared for and are all in excellent health. This was my first trip to the West Coast Game Park and I was delighted to share the experience with my grandchildren. There is simply no better way to educate and foster a respect for wildlife in youngsters than to accompany them to this delightful park.. The happiness of the animals is manifested in the loving relationship that they have with the park employees. The health and protective measures given to these wonders is top rate. Bravo West Coast Game Park! I will return.

9  Thank PapaZoo

Reviewed April 2, 2007

I have never been to a more depressing "zoo". The primates were all housed in extremely poor cages, too small with little to climb on and a hard concrete floor. My entire family was disgusted and I am still in shock that such a horrible place can exist.

21  Thank thegr8dv8
Reviewed September 15, 2006

Though I agree with the previous poster about the size of cages being a bit too small for some of the animals I have to say this is an amazing place that gets you upclose and personal with so many wonderful animals.. We go here everytime we are in Bandon because the experience is different each time.. The Baby Farm where they usually bring out skunks, opposum, ferrets and small animals like that to pet and hold is great and very informative as the person handling them speaks and answers questions.. Then there is usually 2 to 3 different small cat animals they bring out for petting and pictures. This time it we held baby cougars, played with a small lion cub and petted a bear cub.. Then walked around to view the other animals in cages, feed the roaming dear, goats and llamas..

5  Thank doodlebugakj
Reviewed September 5, 2006

My spouse, 7 yr. daughter and I went to this "park" in mid-Aug. 2006 as part of our trip down the coast of Oregon and into Calif. I was already biased against going but thought I'd go with an open mind...the end result was not only I confirming that these animals are exploited, however gently and "innocently" it may be done so by the park owners and by the paying public, my family included. If you enjoy looking at a glum large chimp sitting in a small enclosure (maybe 8 x 10 ft., if that) with a tire hanging for a toy and few other things, and baby leopards and other wild cat kittens being handled and pulled on a chain leash so people can line up and get their pictures taken with the kittens, then this is your kind of place. The staff themselves seemed genuinely caring about the animals but hey, it's front of the public so I expect that brings out the best behaviour. I would estimate that maybe 70% of the enclosures for the animals were downright depressing (as in small, not resembling natural habitat, little in terms of stimulation) . There were lots of free roaming goats and deer. In terms of "educational", I saw nothing other than a few poorly made signs saying what kind of animal it was in the enclosures. I saw nothing posted about how to save and preserve and protect these animals in their natural habitats. Even my 7 year old asked if we could leave after soon getting there as the website photos and publications (tourist flyers) really give a diff't impression about what this place really is. It felt like a cash grab of tourist dollars, nothing more. We paid just over $30 for admission...a waste of money and a regretful contribution to helping the owners of this place make money for themselves. I am certain the basic requirements are met- food and shelter- that's it. I was comparing this experience of exotic and wild animals who are not in their own native land to that of my only other "zoo" experience- that of Seattle's - which has much more progressive, educational and humane environments for its animals .

13  Thank subescape
A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed October 11, 2005

Ok. In my 53 years I've been to animal parks, and I've been to zoos. While West Coast Game Park Safari can be described as both, it is soooo much more! To snuggle a red fox, hold a baby cougar in my hands, pet a tiger the size of a Great Dane is an experience beyond compare. Unfortunately we arrived at the park only an hour before closing so did not have the opportunity to view all of the animals there. A wonderful young lady named Chris was so friendly and patient allowing us to hold and pet so many animals that it was obvious she had a very loving relationship with. The animals appeared to glow with excellent health and caretaking. Even though it was pouring down rain we were not hurried along but were given information about each of the animals in detail. I absolutely cannot wait to go back again with more time to spend at this park. I highly recommend this park to anyone from 2 to 102 as a very enjoyable experience.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member