“As Good As It Gets!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bandon
Bandon Dunes Golf Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Bandon
Tigard, OR
“As Good As It Gets!”
Reviewed August 31, 2007

We just returned from a great family vacation, yes I said family vacation, to Bandon Dunes. Accompanyed by my wife and 10 year old son, we proved that a great golf and family vacation can be one and the same, at least on the south coast of Oregon. Given that there is no pool at the resort (and every 10 year old has to have a pool) we stayed in town at the Best Western Inn at Face Rock (solid basic accomodations). This was my 3rd trip to Bandon, the first since the completion of Bandon Trails. As a result, Trails was first up on the play list. I played on a beautiful Tuesday morning and was quite suprised. After reading some of the reviews on this and other sites, I was actually thinking of possibly passing on Trails. That would have been a big mistake. Trails is a great course that works as a true compliment to the other two. It will test your game, especially on and around the greens. The entire course is one long nature hike with unbelievable natural vistas. While it doesn't have the ocean, it's no less spectacular in it's own right. Coore and Crenshaw really worked their magic on this one. Don't miss it. We took the day off on Wednesday, except for a 9 hole round with my son at Shorty's, the David McLay Kidd designed par-3 adjacent to Bandon's excellent practice center. It's a very difficult and memorable little one shotter. My Thursday round at Bandon Dunes was one for the books. With my wife along for the walk and my son on the bag, I had 5 birdies and shot 77 (2 doubles - argh!) on a gorgeous day with a steady 1-2 club wind out of the north. I didn't make it to Pacific Dunes this trip, as time ran out. Bottom line, if you're serious about golf, a vist to Bandon is required. The golf, the staff, the meatloaf at McKees Pub; everything is first rate. A must make trip!

Stayed August 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Georgia
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Bandon was actually better than I had thought it would be. No, its not Sea Island, but the golf and mandatory walking is what makes it great. Unpretentious and straight forward. Mother Nature is what makes it great. A forward thinking owner who took a gamble with unknown architects and hit the jackpot!! Caddies are the way to go. Accomodations are fine. Nothing over the top, just a place to lay your head after walking 36. A Bandon Inn is the place to stay, not Bandon Inn. There is a difference. Check it out.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
studio city
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Let me start by saying that Bandon Dunes is the most unique golf experiance I've ever had and I've played in Ireland, Pebble, Spyglass and Prarie Dunes in Kansas. The fact that it is all about golf and you are isolated and surrounded by 3 awesome courses on the Pacific coast is enough ! The golf is what they claim... and I expected ..rugged , links style conditions including an ever present 2-3 club wind. I am a 9 handicap and I must say..if you are north of a 15 index I would go elsewhere unless you just want to take in the view. I managed to get some good bounces and stayed out of the "hell" bunkers ( except 1) but the wind and inconsistent greens made it tough for my partner who is a 19 to enjoy. The walking part is cool but walking 36 holes in that wind is pretty tough. We had a great caddie ( road runner ) and he double bagged it. ( more $ for him ) I would recommend reserving 2 caddie's as it is the same money and your own guy can look for your ball while the other looks for your partners. The fairways have fairly large landing areas but second and 3rd shots require extreme precision and I must say..if that is what links style greens and fairways are about...I just saved myself a trip to the British Isles to play. Fun ...but not the type of golf I want to play often. ( and I did score well ,so it's not sour grapes ) I just like to hit off of plush fairways where I can take a real divot and not have to putt from 50 yards off the "green" because a thin chip is a 50/50 chance due to the tight lies. I can see why the courses are all highly rated and I actually liked Bandon the best of the 3. Trails has some great holes at the start and middle but the finishing 4 all up hill into a hammering wind is a mistake and hole #14 is a joke for a course that good. Pacific is awesome for the beauty..it surpasses Pebble in that regard and has 5-6 of the best holes designed by God and man. I think the fees are very reasonable but they ding for a yardage book? Come on guys..it's paper. For 200 bucks you might want to incude that.

The "Resort" and service were just ok. Some of the employees are not ready to be working at that level. Some were. Check in was a nightmare and it seemed like we were always rushing to catch the shuttle to one of the courses or the practice facility that is out on it's own? Rooms are decent but you would think for 350 a night they might have some lotion ( for the wind burn) and shampoo in the room. I think that Red roof in has that now. Food was ok but slow service in the main restaurant because everyone comes in at pretty much the same time to eat.
Also... if she's not a single digit handicapper..leave her home and for the love of golf..please leave the kiddies home too. There is nothing there for them to do there but annoy the guys who are there to golf/drink/ smoke cigars and talk about golf.

All and all it was a great experiance and would recommend all lovers of the game to see it and do it and then you can put a check mark next to it and move on to the next great challenge.

• Stayed August 2007
2 Thank montana69
West Chester, PA
Reviewed August 12, 2007

The most dramatic trio of golf courses in any single resort I've ever seen. Only St. Andrews, Gleneagles and Pinehurst rival it, but for sheer visual drama, they fall short of Bandon. Pure golf -- no pretension, no BS. Exceptional staff throughout. Do yourself a favor and book caddies. One day we played in a seven-club wind. Only an experienced caddie who has seen you play a few holes would be able to club you correctly in such conditions.

Book early, plan at least a half day in the town of Bandon, and have a ball. Consider a beach ride from the Bandon Beach Stables. Docile horses -- experience not required -- and it adds a little something extra to what will already be a memorable vacation.

• Liked — Priority on golf
  • Disliked — Hard to fault
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Fordyce, Arkansas
Reviewed August 2, 2007

I recently traveled to Bandon Dunes as part of a club sponsored golf trip involving 24 golfers. While at the resort, we stayed in the four bedroom cottages which were perfect for our purposes. The cottages are very simply appointed, but perfectly functional. Staff was very accomodating during our stay.

The resort features three world class golf courses with a fourth under construction. Bandon Trails is a slightly inland, tree lined tract. Of the three courses, I would say that this course was probably the best manicured, possibly because of its shelter from the sea. Trails sports a nice clubhouse with a full service restaurant.

Bandon Dunes is the course that is located adjacent to the Lodge and as a result boasts the most amenities. It is a virtually treeless expanse of sand dunes and sedge grass through which the fairways and greens of the course meander.

Pacific Dunes is the most recently built course and is without question the most stunningly beautiful, drawing favorable comparisons to Pebble Beach. Perhaps due to its recent construction, there is no clubhouse or amenities to speak of.

All three of the courses intentionally avoid the type of perfectly manicured look that many courses strive for. They are more natural and rugged. However, in some respects, I believe the result is detrimental. At Pacific Dunes in particular, I was struck by the sparse grass found on many of the greens. Some were little more than compacted sand. A little grass on the greens is not too much to ask for.

The resort itself is sprawling and requires constant shuttle service, which at times involved waits of several minutes. The practice range and courses are all remote from much of the lodging. In addition, there is little to do besides play golf. There is a nice restaurant and watering hole at the Lodge, but I would recommend playing 36 holes/day to fill the day. There are also numerous dining options in the nearby town of Bandon.

One final word that needs to be mentioned: wind. Our round at Pacific Dunes was met with constant wind of 30 mph, gusting to 40. If you've never played in wind that strong, you will have a very hard time enjoying yourself. Five hours in those conditions is exhausting and results in third degree wind burn. We were told that such conditions were not unusual. So, if you're planning a trip to Bandom, go to the range, take a three iron, grip down, swing 75% and get ready to hit that shot to a 140 yard par 3.

Getting to Bandon Dunes is a trick in itself. It is 5-6 hours from Portland by car and can be accessed by puddle jumper prop planes operated by Horizon Air into Coos Bay/North Bend, about 30 minutes North of Bandon. You've got to want to get there.

• Liked — Very functional and clean.
  • Disliked — Remote, spraling location required constant shuttling to and from events.
  • Stayed July 2007
1 Thank santhony
san francisco
Reviewed July 19, 2007

i have used trip advisor multiple times and thought i would share my views regarding my recent trip to bandon dunes.

to preface my remarks i'm a 14 handicap and certified golf fanatic. i traveled to bandon with 7 other guys for a 4 day, 3 nite, 6 round golf vacation.

i was impressed with bandon the moment we arrived...we had gotten in a little late due to a late flight...when we departed our limo we were met with a smile and a hearty welcome...the gentlemen asked what time our tee time was, which course, and then told us welcome, check in, we'll take care of your luggage, and your bags will await you on the first tee. i was impressed. and it didn't let up from there. the staff, and i mean everyone, were all great. the golf was spectacular (but i do have to say i really didn't like bandon trails nearly as much as the other 2 courses...).
i bunked with a rooomate, and we had a very large room, 2 double beds, separate shower and toilet, 2 huge picture windows...very nice room. and very quiet, which you can understand, because after all the golf you hit your room and crash.
main resturant was a little overpriced i thought but the food was good. big wine list...and big markup.
we ate 2 nights in the pub they have...good food, more reasonably priced tho still somewhat more than i thought the food deserved.
weather-we hit a great few days...a 2 club wind one day, mild breezes the others, no rain...couldn't complain.
no need for a car...they have a shuttle service that is very efficient and takes you everywhere with a quick phone call.

overall it was a great gof experience. couldn't ask for anything more. bandon dunes and pacific dunes are incredible courses.
caddies are a nice touch but in my humble opinion not necessary. pull carts are available.

i would go back again tomorrow. enough said.

• Liked — the golf, the views, the staff, the wine list, the golf
  • Disliked — had to leave
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank joe94553
Ontario
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Bandon Dunes has to be the best total golf experience in the USA. To get something similar you have to travel to Scotland/Ireland. The courses are superb. The gorse was in bloom when we were there and it was quite a visual sight. Pacific Dunes was probably the best course. The caddies were great and the absence of carts was a plus.
We stayed in the Chrome Lake Rooms, which were very roomy. All staff at the resort were friendly and helpful. Food was good. Not much to do other than golf, but after 36 holes a day and dinner we were ready to hit the sack.

• Liked — clean and spacious. has what a golfer needs
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank tratfordtrekker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandon
Best Western Inn at Face Rock
Plainview Motel & RV Park
Red Lion Hotel Coos Bay
Red Lion Hotel Coos Bay
#2 of 7 in Coos Bay

Been to Bandon Dunes Golf Resort? Share your experiences!