“Mixed feelings”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bandon
Bandon Dunes Golf Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Bandon
mentor
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Well, we have a different perspective than the previous poster in regards to the courses. My husband is a 5.1 index golfer, and has played in Scotland and Ireland 4 times(had a 69 at Royal Dornoch). While he appreciated the beauty of the courses, he felt they were a bit "tricked up". We played all four courses(36 a day for the two days there), and he was disappointed in the courses before we had played the first nine at Bandon Dunes. He was glad we had not made a special trip from Ohio(we were already on the west coast so jumped up there for two days), and felt that the complexes at Kohler(Whistling Straits, the Irish and Blackwolf River courses) were a much more interesting test of golf. And the Straits was much more like true Scottish links golf.

As for the resort...absolutely no complaints whatsoever. We were in a King room at the Inn. No way was it spartan, and we have stayed at very nice resorts. They were top notch in customer service in every way. The shuttles always arrived quickly, the bar servers in the Inn were pleasant, and remembered our order from the day before, the Pacific Grill was absolutely delicious. McKees was ok, but we ordered the right thing so we were fine. The next night, we could only get a res at the Pacific at 6, and when we arrived, they were puzzled and said they were closed for a private party. We were puzzled by this as someone had made the res at the desk at the Inn and had emailed us about it. They immediately separated a table from the group table and set us up. The group was not to arrive til 9 and we assured them that we would be long gone by then. We thought the main restaurant for lunch was ok, but we were starved so it was fine. We got a recommendation to go to Bandon Trails for Fish and Chips and Seafood Tacos which were both good choices, but the service was very slow, and there was a group that had a somewhat tight turnaround that had to leave because after a more half hour when it wasn't very busy, their food still wasn't ready. (We came when there was one other table and it took over a half hour to get served AFTER we had ordered...the server said the kitchen didn't realize it would get busy). No harm for us, but I would be sure to let a server know about a tight timetable.
I played golf the whole time, but there were ladies around who were clearly not playing golf, and I would think it wouldn't be a big stretch to do something to accommodate them as far as spa and nail services or yoga or something. I would have just told my husband to go alone with the guys, but not everyone feels that way, so why not have alternative services? It would certainly make money.
Lastly, in terms of customer service...we shipped our clubs and had them in a good travel bag, in a box, with a club protector, and my husband's driver was broken on arrival. The Pro shop gave him a demo to use that was a newer version of his club to use for our time there, which was perfect, and their response to him was so pleasant. So 5 stars for their service, but the courses were a 3 star out of 5. He has had this on his bucket list, and sometimes things aren't what you expect. Oh well...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mentoroh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 26, 2010

I've never written a review on this site before but have had such a glorious time, I felt I should throw my two cents into the fray as there are several reviews here I strongly disagree with.
As a preamble, my wife and I are avid golfers and have played all over North America and also a couple trips to the UK to play out there. We really loved links golf, so wjen my wife asked me what I wanted for our 25th Anniversary, my answer was, " a trip to Bandon Dunes."
We drove down from Vancouver, Canada over two days enjoying the scenic Oregon coast. We were pretty excited when we arrived at this secluded resort in seemingly the middle of nowhere. Our room at the Inn was comfortable with an LCD TV, comfortable king size bed and plush leather chairs. Wifi was free. No mini fridge was disappointing but ice and vending machines were readily available.
This is a resort who's greatest amenity is golf. There is no spa. No conference facilities. No real estate. Just 4 amazing golf courses. We took advantage of the half price replays and went out for 36 holes a day for 6 days. This included one day we played 54 holes (like I said, we are avid golfers).
The 4 golf courses here are a true testament to old school links style golf. Firm fairways, huge sloping greens, wind, gnarly bunkers, and ocean views. We played all 4 at least 3 times and really couldn't pick a favorite. I ended up ranking them based on wind speed. Less than 20 mph, Pacific Dunes and Old Macdonald. More than 20 mph, Bandon Trails and Bandon Dunes. But it truly is like trying to pick your favorite child.
We never used the caddy service as we generally like exploring courses ourselves to learn the ins and outs. The caddy books were more than adequate in this regard. And only a few shots are truly blind leading to some guess work. At times we were paired with players using caddies and noted them to be knowledgeable and helpful. Of course why anyone would want someone else to tell them where to hit and read their putts for them befuddles me. Course management is 50% of the game of golf. While I'm all for a little locals knowledge here and there, please let me read and make my own putts. I'll end my caddy rant there, as I'm sure others will totally disagree on this point.
As an aside, I do think the resort is a little too "caddy-centric" in it's setup. Paths to various holes are poorly marked especially on Old Mac, there are no ball washers, pull carts are without baskets to hold towels and other items. For such an expensive course, you would think having a few spots to clean your ball wouldn't be unreasonable.
But overall our golf experience was excellent. Pace of play was fabulous. We got tee times whenever we wanted them. Weather was great averaging 60-65 degrees and winds 5-20 mph (1-3.5 clubs). My scores varied 80-91 (I'm an 8 index) and while big numbers are possible, I found the courses fair with lots of fun risk reward holes. And I also found that the courses never played the same way twice. Time of day, pin placement, wind speed and direction really affected how the holes would play from day to day. I played anything from wedge to 5 iron on the 130 yd par 3 11th at Pac Dunes.
After golf, the course offers several nice restaurants on site. Food is good, not excellent, but portion sizes are huge and staff very friendly and accommodating. Wine selection covers low, medium and high end tastes. Not as broad coverage of single malts as you'd expect at a place trying to emulate Scottish Links.
Overall this was a fabulous golf vacation. If you are an avid golfer and especially a golf purist, this is a bucket list type location. I can't wait to book my next trip here and certainly found it satisfied my thirst for Links golf. I had been wanting to book another trip to Scotland, but now would be just as satisfied coming here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dartagnan64
Long Island, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2010

As others have said, Bandon Dunes is all about the golf. This was the last stop on a 10 day trip, so I thought being at a pricey resort I'd be able to get a little laundry done and maybe a mani-pedi. Nope - it's really all about the golf. I was really surprised that in a golf resort where it rains a lot there was no laundry or shoe shine. Even the amenities (same soaps as at the Best Western we stayed the night before) were not top notch and the service, although acceptable, was not on par with other resorts of this caliber. The restaurants we dined at had good service - and really fast in the AM for golfers to make their tee times, but a bit expensive. It's hard to get to - but there is a flight from SFO to Coos Bay that isn't too expensive and might be worth it if just going for golf.

The gate to enter the facility was not manned, and one night after we came in late from a night of gambling in Coos Bay (fun casino and good payouts) we were surprised to find no one at the front desk and no key card swipe to enter the hotel. Anyone could just walk right in. For this reason I will not be going back. I hope with this information now public knowledge, they change this quickly.

But my husband said the golf was amazing. He played Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes, and both were great courses. (I think my husband played PD with the previous poster!)

The town of Bandon was nice - restaurants and shopping (and a drop-off laundry! Thanks Samme!) The coast from Bandon south is stunning. Don't miss it - especially the National Wildlife Refuge just south of Bandon.

But since it is all about the golf - and I was one of about four women not golfing I saw on the property in two days - the golf makes it a four star. If not for that, I'd be hard pressed to give it 3 stars. There are some cute ocean front places in Bandon I'd try next time, assuming we could get tee times at Bandon Dunes.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
US, formerly Netherlands
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Nearly everything about the golf at Bandon is magical. Yes, it is quite expensive but when you compare it to other premier locations where multiple world class courses are in the same area (Pebble, Kohler, Pinehurst, St. Andrews) the cost of the actual golf isn't that unreasonable. The courses are AMAZING! The only gripe I would have about the entire experience (other than how hard it is to get there) is the rooms at the resort. To get advance tee times (21+ days out) you must be at the resort. Plus the convenience of their shuttle service to any spot on the resort is great. However, for $400/night the rooms are a huge disappointment. They are functional and large enough for two people playing a lot of golf. But they are spartan! I felt like I was in a Super 8 with a nice view. Hard beds, no pictures or any ambiance whatsoever. A good indicator of how cheap they felt was the TV - 14" CRT that was blurry. For a guys trip you will rarely be in the room but to sleep, but what guys trip doesn't want to watch the NBA finals in their room? A simple thing like the really bad tv added to my disappointment with the quality/ value of the room. Apparently the only rooms with LCD/Plasma cost $1800/night. I will say that the food onsite is good and reasonable, so at least they don't take advantage of you there like they do with the room. Otherwise, I can't rave enough about all the courses. Pacific was my favorite but the new Old Macdonald was also pure links bliss. Loved all four. Also check out Bandon Crossing 12 miles south of town. A great course and layout - not links but pretty. At $75 it is a great course to play when you only have time to play one course on a particular day.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank El_Jefe_de_viaje
oceanside
Reviewed February 10, 2010

The course was beautiful, the overall scenery was breath taking, but the level of service that i received was world class. From the check in to my final 18th green, i was overwhelmed by the smiling face, helpful advise( about the resort, as well as some handy lil tips on how to play these very difficult holes), and not to mention the unlimited range balls and use of the shorty's par 3 course for no additional charge!
I cant wait to go back !

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank dondada99
Healdsburg, CA
Reviewed January 6, 2010

My husband and I went to Bandon Dunes Golf Resort for New Year's. I didn't golf, but I walked the course and it was amazing. All I can say is that my husband claims it was the best golf he ever played.
The walking trails are fantastic, the food delicious( and I am a major foodie) and the rooms are cozy, clean and modern. From a non-golfers perspective, I had plenty to do and we WILL be going back this year. Can't wait. No complaints. Pure bliss. GO!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trumanandme
Seattle
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Be clear about the Bandon Dunes Resort - it is ALL about golf! It is simply assumed that everyone there is playing 18 or 36 holes, every day. Therefore, don't expect a "resort" environment with a lot to do. Expect a resort environment where everything - from lodging, to shuttles, to guest services, to restaurants - is designed to accomodate your tee times. Just an amazing golf experience!!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eskot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandon
Best Western Inn at Face Rock
Red Lion Hotel Coos Bay
Red Lion Hotel Coos Bay
#2 of 7 in Coos Bay
Plainview Motel & RV Park

Been to Bandon Dunes Golf Resort? Share your experiences!