“Disney World For Golfers”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bandon
Bandon Dunes Golf Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Bandon
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I enjoyed reading the reviews before I posted mine. I am among those who love Bandon Dunes. This was my first visit, although my three companions were Bandon Dunes veterans. The courses are magnificent, and like some of the other of the reviewers, I have played a lot of links golf in Scotland and Ireland so I have that experience on which to base my opinion. Only the back nine at Bandon Trails was less than superb (although I love the course), but standing on the 18th tee, one could easily imagine being at Turnberry on the Ailsa course. I agree with the reviewer who recommended playing Old MacDonald in the morning. We played in the afternoon, on a beautiful day, with the wind gusting to 40 mph. Still, I loved the course. Pacific Trails and Bandon Dunes are superb, and the Preserve is well-worth a play.

We stayed in the Chrome Lake units and found them very comfortable. We ate at nearly all of the restaurants or club houses during our stay and found all to be just fine. We shipped our wine ahead and saved some money (there was a corkage fee) and drank some excellent wines.
But what I liked most about the amenities was the service and attitude of all we came in contact with - shuttle drivers, our caddy, the wait staff, golf staff. Without exception, we were treated in a a friendly, efficient manner. Whoever is responsible for hiring and training is doing a great job. It compares to the Disney experience where everyone is trained to make sure that the guests have the best guest experience possible. Bandon Dunes has a great staff. We had a memorable golf vacation.

There are newer reviews for Bandon Dunes Golf Resort

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed here for three nights in one of their four bedroom suites and we all had such a great time. This resort is full of friendly and helpful staff, and they have so much to do there. Of course, most people visit to enjoy the fantastic golf courses (like we did). It was all of our first-time playing a links course, but we really enjoyed it.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Bandon Dunes is one of the premier golf resorts in the USA. The service is just as outstanding as the golf courses. It is NOT a family desitnation, unless everyone plays golf. It is very expensive, but worth doing if the budget allows.

Room Tip: Some cabins have a room above, our neighbors were loud.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CowDawg
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I'll preface this by saying that I am obviously biased because this recent trip was about my tenth. I have come in all 4 seasons, with various combinations of friends and family and have played great, not so well and horrible. But I have ALWAYS had an absolutely wonderful time. No question this is a place for those who really love golf. Not cushy, country club golf with soft weather, power carts and forgiving greens. Those who enjoy a challenge, different with each of the 4 brilliant courses will want to come back (like myself) over and over.

The accomodations vary and I can speak knowledgably about the main lodge ( cozy and simple but very convenient) and the Chrome Lake cottages (very spacious in a beautiful setting). My only complaint is no bathtubs to soak the legs and back after 36 holes of walking a day.

The shuttle service is very efficient and unless you want to take a run into Bandon town for bandaids or a wonderful little Mexican place....you don't need your vehicle at all.

In response to some of the other reviews....I've played lots in Ireland and Scotland, Whistling Straits and Kiawah. There are courses in the Old Country that are as good (probably not better....maybe County Down) but not 4 in one spot. There is nowhere else in the US that comes close.

But I don't really care if others don't like it. Would hate to see it get any busier!

4  Thank splotchya
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Just got back from playing all the courses and our group of 4 had a great time. We had wind, fog, mist and blazing sun, and it was exactly what we expected. Tough to say which course was my favorite, although I liked Old MacDonald the least. If you have time, grab a few beers and play The Preserve (par 3 course) in the evening...great cap to a day of 18 or 36 and when we played have the shots were blind into the fog it was so thick, but made for a super cool expereince. Tee box markers point you in the correct direction, and you have to rely on the yardage of your clubs to put you on.

Negatives - could use some revamping the menus as each place was generally the same, which left me with heartburn each night. Breakfasts and lunches were great, just seem to be missing something when it comes to dinner time meals. Also, give yourself a little extra time when arranging shuttles within the resort.

Bottom line, this is one of the best golf experiences you can have in North America. Its tough to get to, which makes it so good once you are there. Top notch locale, great views, beautiful layout of the courses and excellent service at the resort. Over the past three years, our group has played Torrey Pines, RTJ Golf Trail in Alabama, Erin Hills and Whistling Straits in Wisconsin....this ranks pretty much at the top (except for maybe W.S. :)

Room Tip: There were complaints about A/C in the rooms from another post...we didn't have this issue at al...
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Great scenery. Lots of wind. Rock hard greens, fairways and ground in general. ROOMS HAVE NO AC. My room was very hot. Not sure I will ever go back. If you like this type of golf I would recommend Arcadia bluffs in Michigan or whistling straits in Wisconsin. Much better.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jeffrey S
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Just got back and played all 5 courses in 2 1/2 days. Don't miss the Preserve, a wonderful par 3 layout with stunning views. The courses were all different and hard to really tell which one was my favorite. Practice hitting irons off very tight lies before you come. The tight lies and wind will mess with your head because they are constant and if you don't play in wind a lot you will force your swing. Practice very long putts because you will have a lot of them and you will putt from off the green many times a round. The views are fabulous. You just have to see it to believe it. I can't express that enough. We tried all 3 dinner restaurants and found the food delicious. Just park your car and never have to get in it again. They will shuttle you everywhere, even to dinner, and they will locker your clubs, deliver them to the course you want or the practice area with hospitality and a smile. We found the rooms to be just fine because we are playing 36 a day, so you spend so little time there. Read what you can about the resort and do a little research. I read the book "Dream Golf " before I came and it just enhanced my experience. We had a caddy and that added such extra value to our whole playing time. The caddy probably saved me 5 strokes a round and he was marvelous. Because you are walking ( most do 36 a day ) and the wind swept fairways are hard I recommend the softest shoe you can wear. Your feet will thank you. I wear the Echo shoes but I could have easily worn a comfortable trail shoe. Remember this, the resort is "all about golf", every second of the day. Embrace it and you will have a great time.

Room Tip: The rooms are designed for golfers and not for lounging around in all day. You are supposed to be o...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mitchell M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandon
Best Western Inn at Face Rock
Lighthouse Cove Inn
Lighthouse Cove Inn
#5 of 12 in Bandon
Windermere on the Beach

Been to Bandon Dunes Golf Resort? Share your experiences!