“Perfectly fresh fish cooked perfectly”
Review of Bandon Fish Market

Bandon Fish Market
Ranked #2 of 54 Restaurants in Bandon
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Seattle
“Perfectly fresh fish cooked perfectly”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This small, crowded, and unassuming fish market has the best fish in the country.

I asked the young man behind the counter when the rockfish had been brought in?
He looked at the clock on the wall and said, "um........three hours ago."
Sold.
We both ordered fish and chips. I ordered the Pacific rockfish. My husband had the Alaskan cod.
His cod was perfectly cooked, as was mine.
The fish was excellent. Hot, breaded perfectly without a speck of oil left on it. Nor was there too much breading. The fries were perfect, too. We didn't even have to order them without salt. Maybe they're used to the retired crowd that fills the town? The fries were real ones, not uniform sticks out of a freezer box, unsalted, hot, crispy, wonderful. I had the side of coleslaw which had cranberries in it..odd, but tasty.

This tiny little place appears to have started out as a fish store that was forced by popular demand into serving it freshly cooked. The tables are small, few in number (although there's a few outside) and your name is called when your order is ready. It comes in a cardboard box with a plastic fork. It gets very crowded at lunch time.

The prices are VERY reasonable.

The staff is young, motivated, efficient, friendly and are fabulous cooks. They know fish. They know how to cook it RIGHT.

Bandon is a tourist town, far from anywhere. It's mostly a fishing and logging town, but the campers and beach crowd fill it up.
So you shouldn't complain when a shop on the shore doesn't look like a five star place in Paris.
If you pass this place up based solely on its appearance, it will be your loss.

Despite its lack of 'atmosphere"--something I've never been impressed with, as you can't eat the decorations-I give the Bandon Fish Market five stars.
If you want 'atmosphere', eat outside. You can see the fishing boats, watch folks catch them off the dock, protect your meal from the gulls, listen to the foghorn, and hold onto your hat-the wind is hawking.
Besides...what other fish restaurant do you know of that will not only feed you there, but also one where you can then buy more, raw fish to take home and cook (probably not as well as they did) yourself?
Yup. I bought two more pounds of the fresh rockfish.

• Visited July 2013

Camas, Washington
“Love the Little Matey!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

You can get a great deal by ordering the Little Matey. Fish & Chips with fries and a small cup of clam chowder. Great service.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank discriminatediner
Broadbent, OR
“Nice local with average food”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Inside seating is very limited even after the recent re-model. Outdoor picnic tables are available and turnover quickly, so seating is usually available. Bandon can be windy, tables are protected by the building, but it can be chilly outside. Food is pricey for what you get. Most popular is the fish and chips with choice of cod or halibut for a few dollars more. Served piping hot, but very tasteless. Recommend using the salt packet and malt vinegar supplied on the table. Fish and chips come with choice of coleslaw or garlic bread. Chowder for a few dollars more. Soft drinks for a few dollars more. Cost can add up fast. Seems like my out of town relatives like going here, most locals eat down the street at the Minute Cafe.

• Visited June 2013
AZ
“what a nice surprise...not a tourist trap”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were looking for good fish and chips and asked the customers eating outside the restaurant what they thought. All tables gave us a thumbs us. Good sign.
Once inside this tiny busy place, the many options changed my mind; I went for the crab sandwich. Delish! Nice crusty bread not white spongy stuff. Sauce had a hint of horseradish: my fav.
Two friends had fish and chips; fish yummy, fries were a crispy treat. Coleslaw was AWESOME! Had dried cranberries in it, a nice salute to the local crop.

Meals are served in a neat little white box that includes everything you need: food, napkins, a fork etc. So you can take away your meal and enjoy the sites or find a table inside or out.

Really nice little place for a meal. OWNERS, please open a branch in Florence to your north. We have nothing like this in town.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank AZORtravelers
Maidenhead
“Even better the British Fish and Chips”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is hard for me to admit, I have come to USA and eaten better Fish and Chips than I can get in Britain, the home of humble 'chippy' (fish and chip shop).

We were going to eat in another establishment however finding that they were closed we sneaked into the Fish Market just before they closed at 6.00 pm. Oh boy what a great fish supper we had. I have Cod and Chips, the Cod was very fresh and in a light batter whilst the Chip were crispy with a moist centre, my wife had awandering fork which meant I did loose a few of the chips. My wife choose to have to grilled Salmon Salad which she loved, again the Salmon very fresh.

Seating is very limited but plenty of benches outsidewhere you can sit, eat your supper and watch the harbour activities

We left content, but not stuffed a wanting more..

Would definately recommend this place

Visited July 2013