“Better Than It Needs To Be!”
Review of Bandon Fish Market

Bandon Fish Market
Ranked #2 of 54 Restaurants in Bandon
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Coquille, Oregon
“Better Than It Needs To Be!”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

As a local, one of the things I appreciate about the Bandon waterfront is that the restaurants you find there -almost all of them- are better than they'd have to be. Bandon is easily the region's most popular tourist venue, and I'd like to think that not only was the city's leadership smart enough to invest significantly in developing an attractive waterfront, but that they've worked together with the area restaurateurs to assure that Bandon doesn't get a rep as a tourist trap. I think a visit to Bandon Fish Market will reinforce that feeling.

No one will think that this place has cheap prices! And I'd be the first to tell you that I do not buy fresh fish here - their prices for fresh fish are to me too high - instead I drive to Charleston for that. But for a fish sandwich, or a bowl of clam chowder, this is one of my favorite spots.

I love Halibut, and although Bandon Fish Market has relatively high priced fresh Halibut sandwiches and baskets, they also have a very reasonably priced minced Halibut patty (previously frozen) sandwich which I find delicious. Additionally they offer a fresh and delicious Salmon sandwich, which is frequently my choice here.

As an 'old' restaurant worker, I can easily identify the nice 'touches' that are so often neglected in a food service environment - and here what I see and love are things like the high quality little club rolls that they use for their sandwiches (simply wonderful!), the addition of a small sealed container of clam chowder, and another of really good cole slaw that always accompany take-out orders. Additionally, your take-out order will come in an attractive little white box that are not much seen anymore.

Indoor seating is hard to come by at the Fish Market, but they have two outdoor areas, one at the west-end of the building, with nice big tables and a great view of the harbor - and another rather utilitarian area on the south street side with tiny benches and a view of the stores across the street. Hey, it's still better that eating while standing up. However, if you find no luck in finding a seat at the Fish Market, just walk toward the water and grab a bench in the sun, which will be better anyway.

Visited January 2012

Bandon, Oregon
“best fish and chips”
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Cod basket really good and reasonably priced...large portions you should split . Chowder bowl was huge kids liked it ok. Crowded at lunch may be hard to find a seat.

• Visited December 2011
“Ultimate Best Fish & Chips meal we have ever had!”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I normally go into quite a bit of detail when writing a review for Tripcheck. This will be short & to the point...DELICIOUS. Perfectly fried cod, special french fry coating is yummy & their coleslaw is the Best I've ever had...just wish they have you more of it!

Medford, Oregon
“Great Location and Good Food”
Reviewed October 19, 2011

This place was good but everything is deep fried. Somewhat limited menu. If you are with peoople that don't want seafood I would not go here. Loved the service and the fish and chips were good but not the best I have had.

Visited October 2011
Mts of western NC
“Good chowder but soggy average fish & chips. Overrated.”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

This place is extremely popular in Bandon but, in our opinion, overrated. It does not compare to the 'best' of anything. We enjoyed the clam chowder very much but it really ranks from 'average' to 'above average' compared to what you find in other clam chowder hot spots like San Francisco and almost everywhere in New England. The snapper fish and chips was really 'average' and not that great tasting even though the portion was very generous. We have experienced excellent fish and chips along our 3 week vacation along the CA & OR coasts and this was actually our least favorite of all of them. The fried crust became soggy quick. The appeal dampens just as quickly as the flavor. Prices on the menu are about average for the area. Even though the counter girls were extremely efficient and ultra friendly we would not come back here again.

• Visited September 2011