“Put This On Your Bucket List”

Bandon Dunes Golf Resort
More attraction details
Owner description: New classic golf course built high above the Pacific.
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Golfer all around the world since 1987... Old Course, Pinehurst, and more. This was the equal of any and better than most! Six guys, four full days, all four courses twice each... Plus the Shorts. This is a superb Links Golf venue. Staff is super friendly, great places to eat on site, Inn was comfortable and handy. No golf "cars" so pull, carry, or get caddies... We got caddies for all eight rounds and recommend that. The greens are firm and undulating, the gorse (and ocean) while beautiful are unforgiving... Get a caddy and they can take some of the mystery out of your round! We had breezy, windy, and one "Gale"... Clear, misty, rain, and small hail. Bring two pair of weather proof shoes, pair of rain gloves, a good Gortex rain suit, and get a Bandon Rain Hat (best I have had... Also they have a nice bag top "condom"), and if in Spring like us, full Armor All for underneath. I'm a 15 handicap and got by with a box of balls from the men's tees. Play for the fun and beauty of it, drink beer, smoke cigars, tell lies!! Highly recommend it.

There are newer reviews for Bandon Dunes Golf Resort

Reviewed April 30, 2014

We eat regularly in the Pub which leaves little room for improvement. There are two rooms, downstairs has the feel of a Scottish establishment and upstairs with views out over the links to the ocean. This is gourmet level food at reasonable prices. The waiter and chef listen to you and customize to your expectations. The manager Greg is attentive, all service personnel are trained to world class standards. The crowd is colorful, mostly travelers there because of the first class golfing. The management and staff are dedicated to serving locals as well. We go there for their special holiday meals, the best Smörgåsbord style buffet in North America. We also schedule large parties in their special rooms. Prices vary from moderate to very high depending on the restaurant and selection. Wine is all excellent and priced accordingly. This is a destination resort and the eateries are the best of it all.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

This is the best golf experience I have ever had. Been twice, played all the courses and in December. Even in tough weather, this is one of my favorite places to be while playing golf. All four courses are great, but Bandon Dunes still has it. The resort is well taken care and you are treated great. I read the book on the building of the courses and really makes me appreciate even more. I have to say Mike Kaiser is genius. I have yet to go over to Scotland, but this has to be on par. If you are a serious golfer and have some cash burning a hole in your pocket, take the trip. If you don't like it, quit golf. I have played a number of great courses and taken some excellent golf trips, but you can't trump Bandon Dunes resort. Remember, it ain't cheap for a reason, you walk because that is the way your are supposed to play, and it is a links course, so you have to play that style. The only down side is getting there, but I guess that weeds out the hacks and those who truly don't want to make the pilgrimage. If you go in the wet part of year, which is a lot, get some solid rain gear, try rain gloves mad don't fight the weather and you will be fine. You can always hit the pub after and get warmed up with a pint.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I'm a PGA golf professional and take about 5 groups a year to Bandon Dunes. Our last trip was a couples trip with 32 players and the day we got home I said shall we do this again next year? I now have 36 already signed up for next year!!!! Bandon Dunes is ALWAYS a blast.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

We booked nine months early for a late March golf trip. All of us drove each other nuts checking the weather reports daily. My first advice is to stop checking the weather. It is going to be very windy and likely rainy. It rained heavily our first day and the second day was one of those wrath of God weather days. Fifty mph gusts and rain from all directions. We still played 36 both days.

There are many "Bandon Tips" posted on-line, but I want to reiterate a few of them:
1. Take a caddy or at least a group caddy if it is your first trip to Bandon.
2. GoreTex
3. Way more socks and rain gloves than you think.
4. Don't bring an umbrella. They are useless in the wind and slow you down.

Our group stayed in the Lily Pond rooms and shuttled everywhere. The rooms are a little nicer than a Hampton Inn, but just fine. There is no self-laundry on premises.

We are a bunch of late 40's early 50's low to mid handicappers, and we played 139 holes in four days. We didn't see anyone that looked like they couldn't play. It is clear that this is a serious trip for serious golfers, unlike what we see when we visit Myrtle Beach. There are no carts, so you better be ready to step up, or you will be that guy writing a review about how the rooms weren't as nice as you expected.

Our group couldn't decide which course we liked best, as all four are spectacular. The 13 hole par 3 Preserve course is also amazing. They let us play that as an eightsome, and we we got around in about 2 hours, despite the fact we passed the refreshment center three times.

The food at the resort was good (not great), and reasonably priced.

The service is top notch all the way around. As it is with every buddies trip, we lost room keys, car keys, a wedge, a cell phone and a Visa card. Everything was found and returned. In addition, as we scrambled to ship our bags back home, their Guest Services group was there to help.

We are already planning our return trip in 2016. The Accuwetaher 720 day forecast indicates it will be rainy and windy that weekend. Right up our alley.