“If you don't enjoy Bandon Dunes....quit golf.”

Bandon Dunes Golf Resort
More attraction details
Owner description: New classic golf course built high above the Pacific.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Recently visited Bandon Dunes after a 10 year hiatus. Wow! Bandon is absolutely incredible. It is all about golf, so don't go if you are interested in something else. The scenery is breathtaking. Some of the most beautiful golf holes ever built. I played all four courses and the par 3 course. The courses are in fairly good condition given the amount of play they receive. The greens could be a bit nicer, otherwise the courses and experience in near perfection.

The staff is friendly and engaging. The food and and accommodations are simple, but adequate and appropriate. The spa, locker room, and fitness facilities good use a bit of enhancement. A nice steam room after walking 36 holes of golf would go a long way.

I hope to get back soon and make it an annual visit.

2  Thank volunteerstate

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I planned this trip for about a year. Well worth it! Expensive for just the two of us. Accommodations are designed for golf groups more so than couples. However, you are foolish to spend more time in your room than you need to. The golf is what is is all about! We started out on the Par 3 - Preserve. 13 fun and very challenging holes carved along the ocean for dramatic views. Come prepared for the challenges. This is an all walking, no electric cart golf resort. We recommend our Caddie Rodeo. He was a very fun guy that we enjoyed for all of our rounds. Pacific Dunes has the most incredible views. Old MacDonald is the most challenging to walk. We saved it for last and it was definitely a big challenge. Bandon and Bandon Trails are also great. We played Bandon Trails in the morning so we had little to no wind, best round of scores. The experience is worth the drive. We will go back!

1  Thank MeGolf2
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Coming from Boston, my first trip to Bandon Dunes Resort involved a travel time slightly greater than would a trip to the courses outside Edinborough; once there, however, it was immediately evident that it would be worth the wait. The resort property is gorgeous, abutting the southern Oregon coast, and the sound of the pounding surf is evident at all times, no matter which of the four beautiful links courses or equally stunning 13 hole par three track you happen to be playing. The check-in process was painless and the accommodations (we stayed at one of the Lilly Pond cottages a lob wedge from the Inn and an 8-iron from the Lodge. We had arranged our tee times by phone and are starting times were printed out and given to us at check-in. The big news, however, is not the unobtrusive but helpful service, the excellent food or the excellent bar service; it is the golf, which is like being transported to Scotland and playing on the Old Sod. Our first course was the original on the property, a David Kidd design after which the resort is named: Bandon Dunes. The first thing I noticed was the subtlety of the hole plan. Unlike most parkland courses in the U.S.d in which both the fairway and the trouble are readily apparent at first glance, the divisions between fairway and rough and the direction one's ball is likely to bounce are not immediately evident. And bounce they will! Both fairways and greens are exceedingly firm and the bump and run is a useful tool to have in your armamentarium. We played from the Green tees (6221 yards, par 72) and it was all we wanted. The course provides excellent caddies and it is a walking course. In four days, we saw one cart, which was allowed to an elderly player whose arthritis would otherwise have prohibited him from playing. The standard tariff for caddies is $80-100 and they earn their money. The other courses are Pacific Dunes (my personal favorite and arguably the most beautiful) a Tom Doak masterpiece, Bandon Trails (more inland but still clearly a links course) by Coore-Crenshaw and the newest, Old Macdonald, a Doak-Urbina design which incorporates several memorable hole designs based on C.B. Macdonald originals, including the 9th at the Yale course, the 17th at Prestwick and the 17th (Road Hole) at St. Andrew's. We were tired but content when we trudged up the 18th fairway on the last day. All in our group felt we had had one of golf's memorable eperiences.

1  Thank Lynn H
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Bandon Dunes Golf Resort is the number 1 golf resort in America! The 4 links-style courses there are some of the best in the world, with dramatic views of the Pacific, huge sand dunes covered in gorse, and excellent playing conditions. With natural sand bunkers, constant wind, with rain at times off the ocean, you really feel like you are playing some of the classic links courses in Scotland. Bandon Dunes provides excellent accomodations, food and service - I highly recommend it for golfers who want to an incredible golf experience. I have now made 3 trips to Bandon Dunes, and I plan to return often - it gets better every time I go!!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

So it may cost a bit and you may lose to your buddies but if you are playing at Bandon, you really cant lose.

I personally dont have much experience with classic links courses in Europe but hopefully I can remedy that in the near future.

We do have a great link course now in Tacoma called Chambers Bay which now seems pretty good when compared to Bandon Dunes.

I only played one day and we played the Bandon Dunes course. We wanted to start with original.

My main take away is that I cant wait to get back to play the rest of the courses.

Ocean views like courses in Hawaii and we manicured holes from tip to toe.

Stay out of the bunkers and learn to put from 20 - 30 yards off the green and you will do great.