“My Friend Liked It, I Did Not”
Review of Oregon Trail Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Baker City
Oregon Trail Motel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Baker City
Home
“My Friend Liked It, I Did Not”
Reviewed May 10, 2009

My friend liked the price. I liked the fenced in area for the dog. We both liked the 'free' breakfast at the diner next door, it wasn't the 2 eggs 2 bacon 2 pancake etc breakfast advertised on the diner, but it was filling.

Now the bad.

Even though we had a doogie room, the carpet was very dirty. I didn't feel clean so I never took my Crocs except to go to bed and I slept in my sleeping bag.

At 5:00am we were awaken by a large diesel pickup truck ideling. The windows were ratteling it was so loud. I waited at least a half hour before calling the manager. The engine was turned off after fifteen additional minutes. And then started again after fifteen minutes. After that jerk left it was again quite until yet another diesel pickup started ideling. Now it is 6:30 or so and I am so angry I figured I was not going to get my beauty sleep at The Oregon Trail Motel, so I got up.

The shower was another thing. It had a cheap cloth curtain that was sucked inward when the shower was on. It seemed to want to envelope me. Because of the suspect cleanliness, I did not want that curtain touching me.

Lastly, the TV and the refridgerator and the microwave were all plugged into the same extension cord. Kind of freaked me out.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeaForoni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Portland, OR
Reviewed May 10, 2009

My husband and I have stayed here twice, once in summer of 08 and last week. Both times we got a very good value. Great customer service, very good price (hello - where can you get a clean, decent room AND hot breakfast for $40ish dollars???). The room was not fancy but clean and serviceable. Ironically, we got the same room both times. The gals in the office were very friendly and helpful. Oh, this last time we realized there were bikes we could borrow to ride into town for dinner. Yes, the tires needed air (which we got for free at the gas station), but hey it beat walking 8 blocks. The breakfast was also not fancy but was hot and tasty. Egg, sausage, toast (very good quality whole wheat bread!), hash browns and coffee. It worked for us! Another irony: we had the same waitress as last summer. Friendly, cheery, seems to know every guest. We will definitely stay here again. Our priorities are a good price for a clean room, and customer service is important. This place fit the bill -- twice. So it wasn't an accident; it's how they do business.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MW-PDX
Utah
Reviewed May 5, 2009

After reading the glowing reviews here, I decided to take a chance and book a one-night stay at the Oregon Trail Motel on Bridge Street for two adults and three kids.

Unfortunately, our experience didn't measure up to our expectations - and we weren't expecting much. We knew it was an older property, but the price was right and we were desperate - traveling to my mother's funeral in another state with a practically non-existent budget. Here's what we found:

PROS:

Terrific price. Our three-bed room, plus three free breakfasts, cost $60. Can't beat that.

Helpful manager. We booked a few days in advance by phone. The manager was nice and offered a three-queen-bed room for the price of a two.

Clean-as-a-pin bathroom. Pink 50s fixtures, but absolutely spotless.

Plenty of clean towels.

Quiet room.

Little wall heaters heat up the room quickly and surprisingly well.

Funky, old diner next door served a really good breakfast. Nothing fancy, just down-home, small-town dining. We passed the three free breakfasts to our kids as they were kind of small - 1 egg, 1 slice of bacon or sausage link, and 1 pancake (or we could have opted for $1 off 3 larger meals). The special tasted great and the price was incredible - $4.50 for 2 eggs, 2 bacon strips, 2 sausage links, and two pancakes. We spent a total of $9.00 for the 5 of us, plus drinks and a tip. Great deal. Apparently, the locals thought so, too, because the place was packed. No wait, though. The waitresses were efficient and nice.

CONS:

A broken promise. When we arrived, our room had been given to someone else. We still got a 3-bed room, but only one was a queen; the other two were double. We received a profuse apology, but a partial refund for the lesser room would have made it more sincere.

Funny smell. As we entered the room, it smelled old and musty. So old and musty, I woke up still covering my nose as I'd been doing when I fell asleep.

Really cold rooms. After 8 hours of driving late into the night, it would have been so nice to walk into a comfortable, preheated room. Fortunately, as mentioned above, the heaters worked well and warmed the room fairly quickly.

Bug in the bed. It was late, so we made a beeline to the kids' beds to turn them back. Underneath one pillow, I found a little, crescent-shaped, black bug already bunking there. Yuck. This resulted in a fight between our two boys as to who got to share a bed with him.

Hair on my pillow. And it wasn't mine. We have dark hair; this one was blond.

Would I stay here again? Probably not, unless I was in another financial fix - the musty smell really bothered me. Given our limited funds, however, I was extremely grateful for the three beds and three free breakfasts for such a low price.

My husband and kids thought the room smelled funny too, but it didn't bother them like it bothered me. Guess it depends on what is and what is not important to you. Based on the other reviews, I gather there might be remodeled rooms available which could make the smell factor a moot point. Ours had very dated carpet.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank TravlinTmbleweed
Selah
Reviewed September 17, 2008

Recently stayed in Baker City for the first time. Friendliest motel and town I have ever been to. The motel was very reasonable. Very short walk to the historic downtown area. The accomodations were clean and in good condition. They have a free full breakfast at the adjacent restaurant that is outstanding. Best value I have ever seen.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — no dislikes at all
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank rvonhagen
Snoqualmie WA
Reviewed August 15, 2008

After a long day on the road we stumbled onto the Oregon Trail Motel. It is nondescript from the outside but we were pleased to find a very friendly staff, clean rooms, ample amenities, and a great price. This is not resort five-star accommodations but if you are looking for a great place to stay for about $50 this cannot be beat. A full breakfast is included and with free internet, coffee, and a pool this is a great value. The pride of ownership is obvious in the facility and both my wife and I were impressed with the detail the staff had put into this modest motel. It was great to see a small business providing such a quality product. We highly recommend staying here and experiencing something different from the corporate boxes you find on most interstate exits. I also have to mention the 14 oz. prime rib dinner at the restaurant for the price of $14.99. That dinner turned into two meals for me.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed June 21, 2008

This was the cheapest/good ratings for a quick stay (road trip), so us and the kids pulled in late at night and found the staff friendly, likewise the next morning.

The room was just... bleh. I don't know, old and run-downish. It also smelled like that, but my wife was gagging (some weird smell permanently emanating from the bathroom - eek).

It was well-kept inside, not dirty, etc. but there's not a lot for them to work with: the place just simply needs a renovation. We slept OK, and it was only about $70 for two queens, but we'll try our luck with someplace a bit newer and nicer next time.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank Matki7024
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 10, 2007

My son and nephew are staying at this Motel because they are working up in Oregon at this time. I have never been to Oregon and I am from Los Angeles, California. We checked in and were greeted by a lovely lady who was very helpful to us. They have coffee and other items to greet you since it is cold. That sure was nice. We went to our room and it was cute and cozey and may I say very clean! The heater worked too. I liked the sunflower daisy touch they added to our table. There is also a restaurant on-site. Very friendly service and great food. There is a great buffet on Sunday from 8am to 11am for only $6.95 which includes juice and coffee. At night the place was quiet and very pet friendly. They also do your laundry by request.

My boys love the place. They say the staff makes them feel like family more than a guest. I feel great that my boys are safe staying here. THANK U STAFF!!!

If I ever go back to Baker City Oregon I will definately stay at the Oregon trail again. The staff was wonderful and friendly. May I say that they are remodeling the Motel as well so thats a plus.

Make sure if you stop in to say Hi to Boo and Brittany they will greet you happily. Brittany is the gray poodle.

Oh by the way make sure you don't get confused with the Oregon Trail Motel on 10th St. This ORegon Trail is on BRIDGE STREET.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Hospitality
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family