“Disappointed, but got what we paid for”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Oregon Trail Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Baker City
Oregon Trail Motel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Baker City
Utah
“Disappointed, but got what we paid for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

After reading the glowing reviews here, I decided to take a chance and book a one-night stay at the Oregon Trail Motel on Bridge Street for two adults and three kids.

Unfortunately, our experience didn't measure up to our expectations - and we weren't expecting much. We knew it was an older property, but the price was right and we were desperate - traveling to my mother's funeral in another state with a practically non-existent budget. Here's what we found:

PROS:

Terrific price. Our three-bed room, plus three free breakfasts, cost $60. Can't beat that.

Helpful manager. We booked a few days in advance by phone. The manager was nice and offered a three-queen-bed room for the price of a two.

Clean-as-a-pin bathroom. Pink 50s fixtures, but absolutely spotless.

Plenty of clean towels.

Quiet room.

Little wall heaters heat up the room quickly and surprisingly well.

Funky, old diner next door served a really good breakfast. Nothing fancy, just down-home, small-town dining. We passed the three free breakfasts to our kids as they were kind of small - 1 egg, 1 slice of bacon or sausage link, and 1 pancake (or we could have opted for $1 off 3 larger meals). The special tasted great and the price was incredible - $4.50 for 2 eggs, 2 bacon strips, 2 sausage links, and two pancakes. We spent a total of $9.00 for the 5 of us, plus drinks and a tip. Great deal. Apparently, the locals thought so, too, because the place was packed. No wait, though. The waitresses were efficient and nice.

CONS:

A broken promise. When we arrived, our room had been given to someone else. We still got a 3-bed room, but only one was a queen; the other two were double. We received a profuse apology, but a partial refund for the lesser room would have made it more sincere.

Funny smell. As we entered the room, it smelled old and musty. So old and musty, I woke up still covering my nose as I'd been doing when I fell asleep.

Really cold rooms. After 8 hours of driving late into the night, it would have been so nice to walk into a comfortable, preheated room. Fortunately, as mentioned above, the heaters worked well and warmed the room fairly quickly.

Bug in the bed. It was late, so we made a beeline to the kids' beds to turn them back. Underneath one pillow, I found a little, crescent-shaped, black bug already bunking there. Yuck. This resulted in a fight between our two boys as to who got to share a bed with him.

Hair on my pillow. And it wasn't mine. We have dark hair; this one was blond.

Would I stay here again? Probably not, unless I was in another financial fix - the musty smell really bothered me. Given our limited funds, however, I was extremely grateful for the three beds and three free breakfasts for such a low price.

My husband and kids thought the room smelled funny too, but it didn't bother them like it bothered me. Guess it depends on what is and what is not important to you. Based on the other reviews, I gather there might be remodeled rooms available which could make the smell factor a moot point. Ours had very dated carpet.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank TravlinTmbleweed

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Selah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2008

Recently stayed in Baker City for the first time. Friendliest motel and town I have ever been to. The motel was very reasonable. Very short walk to the historic downtown area. The accomodations were clean and in good condition. They have a free full breakfast at the adjacent restaurant that is outstanding. Best value I have ever seen.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — no dislikes at all
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank rvonhagen
Snoqualmie WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2008

After a long day on the road we stumbled onto the Oregon Trail Motel. It is nondescript from the outside but we were pleased to find a very friendly staff, clean rooms, ample amenities, and a great price. This is not resort five-star accommodations but if you are looking for a great place to stay for about $50 this cannot be beat. A full breakfast is included and with free internet, coffee, and a pool this is a great value. The pride of ownership is obvious in the facility and both my wife and I were impressed with the detail the staff had put into this modest motel. It was great to see a small business providing such a quality product. We highly recommend staying here and experiencing something different from the corporate boxes you find on most interstate exits. I also have to mention the 14 oz. prime rib dinner at the restaurant for the price of $14.99. That dinner turned into two meals for me.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, UT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

This was the cheapest/good ratings for a quick stay (road trip), so us and the kids pulled in late at night and found the staff friendly, likewise the next morning.

The room was just... bleh. I don't know, old and run-downish. It also smelled like that, but my wife was gagging (some weird smell permanently emanating from the bathroom - eek).

It was well-kept inside, not dirty, etc. but there's not a lot for them to work with: the place just simply needs a renovation. We slept OK, and it was only about $70 for two queens, but we'll try our luck with someplace a bit newer and nicer next time.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank Matki7024

Travelers are raving about these Baker City hotels

Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2007

My son and nephew are staying at this Motel because they are working up in Oregon at this time. I have never been to Oregon and I am from Los Angeles, California. We checked in and were greeted by a lovely lady who was very helpful to us. They have coffee and other items to greet you since it is cold. That sure was nice. We went to our room and it was cute and cozey and may I say very clean! The heater worked too. I liked the sunflower daisy touch they added to our table. There is also a restaurant on-site. Very friendly service and great food. There is a great buffet on Sunday from 8am to 11am for only $6.95 which includes juice and coffee. At night the place was quiet and very pet friendly. They also do your laundry by request.

My boys love the place. They say the staff makes them feel like family more than a guest. I feel great that my boys are safe staying here. THANK U STAFF!!!

If I ever go back to Baker City Oregon I will definately stay at the Oregon trail again. The staff was wonderful and friendly. May I say that they are remodeling the Motel as well so thats a plus.

Make sure if you stop in to say Hi to Boo and Brittany they will greet you happily. Brittany is the gray poodle.

Oh by the way make sure you don't get confused with the Oregon Trail Motel on 10th St. This ORegon Trail is on BRIDGE STREET.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Hospitality
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2007

Not imposing from the outside and we looked at a unit before we rented. The units are comfortable, well kept up and very clean. The managemen is friendly. The back of our unit was on the Powder River which created enough of a breeze that we did not use the a/c at night--in July in Baker City. The price was a bargain in our view--just over $40 a night and included a hot breakfast at the adjoining restaurant.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SelaPDX
Ontario, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2007

It does'nt look like much from the outside, but this is the cleanest little motel with ammenities (microwave-refridge-wireless internet-walmart nearby--Pilot Truck Stop 2 blocks away) And all for the price of $41.80 total. There is no breakfast but who needs it at this price. I deliver trucks to all corners of the U.S. and this is the best deal I have found ever and the wonderful hardworking family that runs this place is truly what old style America is all about!!!!

• Liked — Cleanliness-$-Wi-Fi
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business