“Last time I'll stay there.”
Review of Oregon Trail Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Baker City
Oregon Trail Motel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Baker City
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Have stayed here annually for the last 10 years. No more. With new ownership it has gone downhill. Checked in at 4pm and given room 144. After unloading the car found that the bathroom sink was stopped up and wouldn't drain. No maintenance available so was given another room. Loaded the car and was unloading again when was told that was wrong room and we couldn't have it. Reloaded the car and was given a room across the lot. Unloaded car again, then found there was no TV remote. None available in the office and no maintenance.
Was not about to move again. Put up with it. Room reeked of smoke since smoking area was right outside door. A small herd of cats lived outside the door. Clothes still smell of smoke.
There are better places to stay in town. Restaurant is okay.

Room Tip: Go across the street.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ralph S
There are newer reviews for Oregon Trail Motel

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My family always stays here. As far as cleanliness goes, it's better than most ( and I own a cleaning business). The rooms are quiet and cozy. The coffee, pool , staff and other guests are always friendly and helpful. The rooms may be a bit dated, but everything else makes up for that. We love the free breakfasts and they even watched my dog while we went out for a bit. So I didn't have to leave her in the room alone. We love walking along the Powder River in all weather and enjoy looking at the beautiful homes and enjoy the park along the way. Everyone always says "hi", even the teenagers.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank K H
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The supposed retro ambiance of this place is best portrayed by the pervasive reek of cigarette smoke that permeates every last inch of the property, even in the so-called nonsmoking rooms. Don't plan on sleeping well at night, either, if nocturnal screechings of prowling felines directly outside your room is something that will interfere with your sleep. The only thing worse than that is the shrieking of the housekeeper first thing in the morning while she's banging on your door.

Not sure who the guy at the front desk in the early mornings is -- supposedly the owner, but it's hard to imagine a business owner sending such a nasty vibe to customers. Whoever he is, he clearly values his cigarettes over everything else.

The restaurant staff is great, but that's probably because jobs are tough to come by in Baker City. The food is so-so -- American Diner classic.

I'd advise giving this place a pass and staying somewhere else, but definitely eat in the restaurant. Inexpensive lodging options are easy to find in Baker City

Room Tip: If you want to find a good room, go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Talkeetna
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Hey I stayed here a while back and was so impressed I had to write this review
First off, ask for room 141 it overlooks a creek out back
Secondly the owners, and staff were the best
My car was squealing like a stuck pig and the owners brother just happened to be there
liked to work on cars for fun and fixed it! (this was exceptional I know) but this is seriously the kind of people you get at this motel. They have great prices, clean quiet rooms, if your in the area, definitely stop here!

Room Tip: Ask for Room 141 it has a creek out back.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Cool looking little joint. Reminded me of something I would have found in Las Vegas someplace. The room immediately reminded me of something out of an 80's horror flick. hahahahahaa. It was very clean, neat. The beds were SO unbelievably uncomfortable that I hardly slept. SO firm that was hip/shoulder/arm would fall asleep and go numb and I would wake up in pain. That was the frustrating part. Other than that, pretty decent and VERY nice people.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I arrived after dark,and was greeted by a very friendly lady in the office.The room was done in a 50's decor,and had three pictures of Marilyn Monroe over the bed,and one across from the foot of the bed.Everywhere I looked I saw Marilyn.There was a microwave and mini fridge in the room,along with a very comfortable bed.The room and bath were very clean,and it was quiet at night.There was a room off the office that had coffee,tea,etc available 24hrs.Upon check in,I was given a ticket for a choice from three free breakfasts,or $1 off any other menu item from the cafe next door.I have to disagree with the earlier review that thought this wasn't worth much,as they thought the three free ones didn't amount to much.The free breakfast I picked consisted of 2 eggs,2 sausage,hashbrowns,and 2 pieces of wheat toast.The same thing with only 1 egg,was $4.99 on the menu.Yes,I had to pay extra for coffee,but it was only 99 cents,with unlimited refills,and the waitress never let it get less than half empty.This stop was one of many in a 2 week 5300 mile road trip,and I would rate it the best value of the whole 2 weeks.Plus,I got to sleep with Marilyn Monroe.Not many men can say that,especially a 73 year old.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jim53F
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I don't understand the poor review given by another guest... The room was very clean and comfortable..Staff was super friendly and the free breakfast is not just a plate of rolls and microwaved food..it is an excellent homestyle meal at the onsite restaurant that makes this an even greater deal! Yes it is a little dated but not anything like a couple others in town that I checked out in town..After looking around this was the best for what you pay for! They offer a discount if you are visiting powder river correctional faucility which is very thoughtful when this is obviously not a pleasure trip! I was more than impressed and this will be the only place in town I will return to! I can put my own mint on my pillow if need be :) They only charge 5.00 for a pet and did not charge extra when my dog had a litter of puppies in the room!!

Room Tip: We requested a downstairs room for easy access to office and ice/ coffee ... they have a area for p...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family