“Decent but not more than average at best...”
Review of Palm Court

Palm Court
Ranked #9 of 50 Restaurants in Baker City
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Prices were exuberant for no better than average food and service. You would expect more from a highly touted high profile establishment. Granted this is just Baker City, management could make this a restaurant a center of excellence but it is merely a high priced center of average unfortunately for them. My recommendation is to see visit El Erradero instead.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I have not dined in the "fancy-eatin' room" at the Grand: it is not open but in the evening. I have dined in the back dining room (food was tasty; service was ok) about a year ago.
This trip, we ate in the front corner area. The food was again tasty, but the service was iffy: there was a new employee and it appeared that she was thrown in, to sink or swim: we did not see any effort from experienced staff to help her.
Regular staff seemed to have the same sink-or-swim training: they couldn't find the wine we ordered, so requested a different label. It could not be found, either. This took a long, long time!
All in all, my impression of the place is that the owners are not interested in customer service.

(We had asked to see a room, and there was no one to available to do so...)

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We were traveling from Boise, ID back home to central Oregon and decided to stop at the Geiser Grand Hotel for lunch. Very disappointed. The atmosphere was nice, but the waitress was rude (acted as though she was better than we were; looking down her nose to us), clueless, and the food was less than good. The waitress was good about keeping our waters full, but being as there were only two parties of two in the facility, that shouldn't have been too difficult. She was not attentive to removing dishes (soup, salad) as she was refreshing the water. When ordering, I asked if the french dip sandwich had much meat on it. She replied, "There is enough, but not too much." She said she'd had it the day before and it was ok. Very vague. So, I ordered it (anyway) and there were several large pieces of fat, there was not even enough meat to cover a single layer on the sandwich bun, and it was not very tasty ~ less than average. My husband ordered the Reuben and said it was good. When the waitress came to ask how the food was he mentioned it was pretty dry and that it would be better with more dressing. She said "OK" and started to walk away. I called her back and asked if it would be possible to get a small amount of 1000 Island dressing for his sandwich, and she agreed she could ~ which she did. I ordered a draft beer, which they were out of. So, the waitress brought me a sample of the blonde ale to try, and there was a small fly in the foam head (which she hadn't noticed). I understand that this time of the year they are everywhere, but she should have seen it being as it stood out quite clearly. So, don't know if we will go back, but if we do, definitely will not order the french dip sandwich. This is beef country! I couldn't believe they skimped on the meat! Also would suggest the waitress not wear such tight pants. Not attractive and in contrast to the class/atmosphere of the Geiser.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We spent a leisurely morning touring lovely Baker City. We passed Geiser
Grand Hotel and decided to check their menu for dinner. The receptionist was very engaging and we decided to make reservations for dinner. The staff were so accommodating when we arrived for dinner and through our whole evening. I can not thank them enough for making what could have been a disastrous evening, merely a pleasant evening with a poor meal from an inadequate chef.
I would suggest that you consider dining elsewhere.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Had dinner in the Geiser Grill during a recent stay while in town on business. Hungry for streak, I decided to give the Brandy Peppercorn steak, ribeye a try. I like the Geiser because of the genuine 1890's feel and decor of the entire establishment. Sitting in the bar, I can imagine looking out the window and seeing horse drawn carriages going by.

Tonight with steak on my mind, the Brandy Peppercorn steak arrived at my table. Covered in creamy peppercorn sauce it did look good with steamed vegetables on the side as well as a baked potato.

Digging into the rib eye, I found it was very flavorful and well complimented by the sauce. What was surprising was the leanness of the steak. The absence of marbling made for a cut slightly more chewy than expected. Not really tough, but not the tenderness a rib eye brings to mind. Along with the veggies and baker, it was a good meal professionally served by an attentive waitress/bartender.

So the bottom line. The quality and flavor was good, but the lack of expected tenderness was a surprise. Another observation is the price. At $30 before tip it is at the upper end of what this meal should cost. If the steak was larger (thicker) I could see the price point. This is the only reason I did not give it a 4.

So for me, I will be back. I think its a great place in a small town.
27J