“good beer, good food”

Barley Brown's Brewpub
Ranked #2 of 51 Restaurants in Baker City
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Brew Pub, International
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Barley Brown's was established in 1998. It's located in the Historic District of Baker City Oregon. The in-house brewery can be viewed from the dining room. Best Places Northwest says "Baker City's best (and biggest) dinners come from this family-friendly brew pub" Fudors describes it as the "Cheers" of Baker City. The beautiful oak bar is surrounded by antique bar stools made from the original jury chairs out of the Baker County court house. It's a fully stocked bar, with a wine list, and featuring Barley Brown's award winning beers. The dining room is lined with large oak booths under a stamped tin ceiling. The one story brick building is easy to find at the corner of Main and church streets. It has a parking lot and plenty of street parking. Closed Sundays and most Holidays.
Richland, Washington
“good beer, good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Stopped in here on a road trip for a dinner and a beer. The food was excellent and they had quite a few good beers on tap. The waiter was very accommodating to dietary needs and friendly. Nice atmosphere, we were even able to watch some of the olympics.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank LeJaneS

Patterson, ID
“Good brews, ok food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

We went to Barley Browns based on recommendations from several locals as well as a good endorsement from Trip Advisor. For beers we had the Turmoil (Dark Cascadian), their classic Scottish Ale, and one other that was less memorable. The two brews listed above were both very good, so the pub absolutely lived up to its reputation based on beers.

The service was also very good. From the barmaid to the table staff, everyone was friendly and well informed regarding their offerings. Atmosphere was boisterous in the bar as it should be and more laid back and quiet in the dining room, as it should be there.

We both ate rib-eye steaks. They were a generous cut, tender and juicy, but totally devoid of any beefy flavor. That is my only complaint about the experience. Had the steak been tastier, I could have easily given this restaurant a 5 rating.

Would I go there again? Absolutely! But I might try something other than the steak.

Portland, Oregon
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

The main pub was closed, so we went to their establishment next door. The atmosphere was not pleasant and we did not feel relaxed. There was noone else there and we felt a little out of place.

Visited April 2014
Baker City, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and beers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Death burger is excellent, nachos are huge and yummy, ribs are to die for. Award winning beers and friendly owners and staff.

1 Thank Lexi2010_12
Portland
“Great beer, Very good food, Probably the best restaurant in Baker!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

I went to Barley Brown's with my wife and son. There was about a 15 minute wait to be seated, which I understand is normal for Friday night.

I started off with the beer "flight" or taster for $10. It was really fun to go around the platter and try 11 different beers, most of which were excellent! For the record, my favorite was the Shredders Wheat. I shared with my wife and it was a fun experience.

Next, I ordered Fish and Chips ($14). I chose curly fries as my side. They fish (Halibut) was very good, crispy not greasy. My wife had the Reuben ($9). She said the meat was very good, supposedly marinated in beer. But she thought they had put too much butter on the bread before they grilled it, which made it a tad greasy or soggy. My son ordered the large Nachos ($13). They were huge! Probably enough for two people. They were also very good!

The service was great, the atmosphere was fun. If not for the soggy Reuben I would probably give them 4 1/2 dots! Still we will definitely go back.

I have eaten at most of the highest rated restaurants in Baker, and Barley Brown's is the best in my opinion!