“So very helpful”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Baker City
La Grande, Oregon
“So very helpful”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

What a wonderful hotel and how very helpful. I called wanting to book a honeymoon package for my son and daughter in law to be in June. I could not have wished for ANYONE more helpful and polite than Barbara - I also actually called the day after and a gentleman helped me out and again was VERY helpful and considerate. Barbara helped me and advised me on different options they had to offer. THANK YOU Geiser Grand - I know my son and his wife will have a WONDERFUL stay with you. THank you also for telling me about the Ultimate wedding package - such a fantastic deal you have. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Eagle, Idaho
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I had an exceptional stay in the Parlor Suite at the Grand Geiser Hotel in historic Baker City, Oregon. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The hotel is beautifully maintained and makes you feel as if you stepped back to the 19th century. The dining rooms are gorgeous and the menus have a good selection.

Room Tip: The third floor has the best views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hillsboro
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was surprised to read last review about the hotel and restaurant. Our group of seven were there during the same weekend and had a great time. We ate in the restaurant six times during the weekend and the food and service was perfect. The steak was cooked exactly to my order and the creme brulee was to die for. My wife and I stayed int the Cupola Suite and in the morning my wife made me ask what kind of mattresses were used as we slept so good. I think we will be buying one just like it soon!.

I give the Geiser hotel and restaurant my highest rating!
Tim

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Oregon City, Oregon
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I can't talk about the rest of the property, but after having tried to have breakfast in the restaurant this morning, I'm sure that I won't be back.

I was actually warned about the place while walking in for breakfast by a couple who said that they could not get any service, but because I had always wanted to go there, I decided to risk it. It was a waste of time. I waited for maybe 15 minutes, finally got some coffee and was finally able to put in a breakfast order. When the food arrived 45 minutes later, it was cold, dried out and inedible.

I didn't mind having to get my own coffee after the initial cup; and as a culinary professional, I'm generally quite forgiving when restaurants are obviously having an off-day. I decided to pay for the food that I couldn't eat and go somewhere else and have breakfast. The front desk person called my server to ask her to bring my bill so I could pay it. After waiting for about 15 minutes, I decided to leave.

It was bad enough to be expected to pay for food that was cold and dried out, but waiting for the bill was my last straw. I told the front desk person I'd come back and pay the bill after I'd had breakfast somewhere else. The front desk person could have gone and gotten the bill from the server, but I guess that would have been too much trouble for her.

I went to the Best Western. I told the server about my awful experience at the Geiser, and a table that was behind me overheard and said that they had just had a similar experience there.

After finishing breakfast at the Best Western, I decided not to return to the Geiser to pay my bill. I didn't want to stand and wait at the front desk for the server to finally bring the bill out. It was insulting enough to be served cold, dried out food that I couldn't even eat without having to wait who knows how long to pay for it. Never again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Talkeetna
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Geiser Grand 1 night. The bed was a pillow top and caused my wife neck and back pain. They offered another bed but it was too soft as well. We decided to check out and find other accommodations for my wife. They charged us $50.00 for an early check out fee on a medical issue. We sent a letter requesting the refund and included a Physician’s letter but they still refused. IS THIS REALLY CUSTOMER SERVICE? Are they really that hard up for money? The room was ok, the remote barely worked and the food is standard run of the mill food. It is sad because I would have sang their praises but they don’t need the business. We went down the road, spent $4.00 less for a room, customer service that was great. Would I ever stay there again? NO, I would sleep in my car first. By the way we went there as a weekend getaway. We could have gone anywhere and next time we will.

Room Tip: Why bother, they just don't acre
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank D C
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am speechless after my stay at the Geiser Grand Hotel. My boyfriend and I read from Sunset Magazine that this was a great place to stay and a great town to visit. Never having a bad experience from anything Sunset has recommended, and wanting to do something special for my boyfriend's birthday, we went for it. Driving six hours from Eugene, OR & reserving the nicest suite the hotel had to offer, our expectations were high.

The stay itself was okay, the food was not great, but did the job and the room was beautiful - although to get hot water in our "jacuzzi tub" was a 30 minute ordeal, but that comes with an old building (I guess) so we could look past that.

What was unacceptable was the customer service when it came time to leave. $200.00 had been charged incorrectly to my account - without my authorization. Leaving us not enough money to do anything we had planned for the day we were leaving (Skiing at Anthony Lakes & a nice lunch in town). It barely covered the cost to get back to Eugene. Unfortunately when I called to get this sorted out, shift changes were happening and there was absolutely no communication between the employees of what was going on. I have now explained my situation to 3 different employees - one of which - Rocko, blamed me for not calling sooner (though I was out of service at the ski resort), and made a snide comment about me not having enough money to pay for a $17 lift ticket (It was $100 with lift tickets and rentals). The next employee that I spoke to, Jonathan, had no idea what was going on and said he would "look into it and give me a call back". I called back 3 hours later after not hearing anything to hear that an email had been sent. I asked for the number for the corporate office and was given it - only to be handed off to another woman who said that actually that information was incorrect and that she would try to handle it. Deborah, the last woman that I spoke to, and had to re-explain the entire situation to, was so clearly and aggravatingly scripted saying only "thank you for sharing your experience," "we'll definitely mention this to our employees" and then proceeded to try and hang up on me while I was still talking.

If you want to pay $239 a night to get treated so carelessly and disrespectfully, and have your entire weekend plans ruined, go to Geiser Grand Hotel, that's exactly what you'll get.

*At this point I have been told that part of the charges have been credited back to my account and the rest, I will just have to wait and see. Also if you look up the Geiser Grand on the Better Business Bureau website they already have 3 complaints regarding billing, and they are about to have 4. I hope this information helps someone before they go, unfortunately I should have done more research.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank KristinL138
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My father and I stay in this hotel as a rest stop during a three day road trip. I called the hotel when we were about 40 miles out to see if they had a room. We weren't sure we were going to go another 40 miles but they gave us such a good rate how could we skip it?
We stayed in a parlor room. This room had a king bed and a pull out couch. (The couch was in the parlor.) We each got out own tv! This room was pretty much two rooms with a certain in between. I felt like a very wealthy person from the early 1900's. The parlor had an electric fire place with a remote which was excellent for early January.
This hotel was rich with history and absolutely gorgeous. I didn't get to take the tour, but I definitely snapped a picture or two.
As to the service, the front desk staff was amazing. The women I spoke with to make my reservation, I believe her name was Debbie, (she has long red hair, correct me if I'm wrong about the name) was so kind and accommodating. You could tell she loved her job! The second front desk agent I talked to, Jonathan, knew so much about the history of the town and the hotel. I believe he also leads the tours. He talked to my father and I for some time in the evening. He also recommend a complimentary movie for us to watch for which the actors had stayed in the hotel. The rest of the staff that we came across were not quite as eager to please as the front desk, but I've definitely seen worse.
I read some of the bad reviews and I want to say at least one thing I saw stated that was proven not true during our stay. They do have luggage carts you just have to ask, and they will take your luggage up to your room for you, at no charge.
I should mention there was no pool and I didn't notice a fitness center. I know I marked those as excellent, it was only because it wouldn't let me choose nonexistent and once I clicked it I had to choose something.
If you are even thinking about staying in this hotel do it! I work in hospitality industry myself, and I've traveled a lot. This place is a real treat, definitely worth that extra 40 miles!

Room Tip: If this is a romantic getaway get a parlor room. They are so adorable!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family