“coolest hotel ive ever stayed in”
Review of Geiser Grand Hotel

Geiser Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Baker City
portland
“coolest hotel ive ever stayed in”
Reviewed March 26, 2008

Originally we weren't going to stay even in Baker-we were supposed to be in my great grandma's house but my uncle was staying at the Geiser. He had a few problems with his room so they offered him a suite for less thean he was paying for his other room. He booked the room for us for the night we got there and we ended up staying the next night too. The staff at the desk was very helpful, got everything we asked for. There is a small video/dvd library by the desk, there is a small deposit but they take it off as soon as you bring the movie back. The room was huge with two chandeliers and several other table lamps, a small dining area that could be blocked off from the rest of the room by curtains. Four people could comfortably use the bathroom all at once since the shower and tub are seperate. We didn't order room service, but I heard it's very expensive and house cleaning came around before we were out of bed the second morning. The food in the restaraunt was ok-my sister and i shared the stuffed french toast, scrambled egs, and ham. The french toast was supposed to be "stuffed" with cream cheese, stuffed is not the word i would use-there was a small dab of cream cheese between each piece of toast-and so was the experience of my mom who had the same thing. My dad was pleasently surprised, though, that the bill for the four of us for breakfast was smaller than he expected. I didn't like walking on the inside of the stairs because there wasn't much to stand on when the staircase turned. I wanted to go into the historic cellar but it wasn't open. The ice bucket was too big for the ice machine so we had to put the ice into a big ziploc bag and then pour it into the bucket. The room had it's own thermostat which was really nice and (unlike the last hotel we stayed at) the tv actually had a vcr AND dvd player and the screen was nice and big(also compared to the last hotel) Overall we had a great time-the Geiser was a little spendy but then again we were in a suite. I would deffinitely stay there again.

• Liked — the history
  • Disliked — the uncomfortable pullout's mattress
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
portland
Reviewed March 2, 2008

We were anticipating our time in Baker City for the State Basketball Tournament and reserved rooms at the Geiser. We gave them our charge card number as we were informed that if we cancelled without 72 hours notice they would still charge us for one night stay. After booking the reservation we were given a confirmation number confirming our reservation. We later needed to call and change our reservation from 5 nights to 4 nights. When we called them they told us that we would not be able to stay the nights we had planned as they had earlier booked someone else and had made a mistake. We were not satisfied how they handled their mistake. First, they didn't call us when they discovered the mistake they had made, we found out when we called them. Second they were going to charge us if we cancelled, but their cancellation of us because of their mistake did not include any monetary adjustment for inconvenience and extra effort needed to secure a room for our stay in Baker. They would upgrade us to a better room should we stay there in the next year pending room availability. We felt that the only interest that they had in mind was their own.

Stayed February 2008
6 Thank ka7060
Oregon
Reviewed February 24, 2008

My wife and I just returned from a two night stay at the Geiser Grand. I read some of the negative reviews and thought I would share mine. We had a great stay at the Geiser. The Hotel is a piece of history with tons of charm and character. You have to remember that these turn of the century hotels are not like modern hotels. Yes, you will hear noise and there may be some temperature fluctuations but that is typical of these historic hotels. We stayed in one of the suites below the cupola and I was quite impressed. The staff was friendly and courteous and I found the room to be spotless and quite roomy. We did not eat there so I cannot comment on that (Barley Brown's Brewery was GREAT!!). Also, this is Baker City, not Manhattan, so no valet parking and you might have to park in the back of the hotel-big deal!

Stayed February 2008
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed February 12, 2008

Beautiful refurbished hotel in a great location.

The good: The rooms were spacious with huge floor to ceiling windows. Bathrooms were enormous and well appointed.
Staff seemed knowlegable and very friendly.
Prices were very reasonable for the quality of room we received.
Bar was smallish, intimate and nice.

The Bad: It was rare to have hot water for a shower.
We heard about this from nearly every guest we encountered in the lobby.

The Ugly: The staircase (although gorgeous) didn't seem safe since there wasn't actually a handrail that was easy to grasp. Wondered how long it was going to be before someone got hurt. Chose to use the elevators just for that reason.

• Liked — Largest rooms
  • Disliked — cold showers
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Bridget63
oregon
Reviewed January 20, 2008

I just finished reading all of the reviews,and agree with all of them; both good and bad. The place is loud, and they don't appear to really care. The room furniture is often highly warn, but it is period. We have made specific room reservations and like many have shown up to something differant. To me, the parking is OK. I do think it is overpriced for this town, but if it keeps the place up, that is fine. We greatly enjoy their resterant, and have never had any overly rude service. Indifferant would be more like it, since room screw ups, loud rooms, or questionable charges are usually met with a "oh well" attitude. We do like the place though, but would like a little more for the price.
The only real question I have is from others. We often go to Baker and talk with many locals. I have yet talked to anyone that speaks well of the place; the responses go from evasively neutral to downright bad, which must be a reflection of how the staff is treated, which would also explain some of the bad reviews listed here.

Stayed March 2006
1 Thank wqetqwet
Oregon
Reviewed January 19, 2008

We stayed at the Geiser Grand for our anniversary and we had the worst night sleep ever. When we first arrived they were setting up dinner and when we asked if we could eat they rudely declined. When we were getting ready for bed the sheets were covered in .... you know. They were discusting so we slept in the other bed after checking it with all our clothes on. The doors are thin and we could hear the hotel guest and workers until 2:00 in the morning when it finally calmed down. I would never go there again!!!!!

• Stayed July 2004, traveled as a couple
6 Thank readOregon
Illinois
Reviewed January 13, 2008

Where do I begin...I'll probably miss something. First, have to park in a parking lot behind the hotel and walk/carry/drag your bags back up to the front of the hotel and enter. No offer of assistance. No parking in front of hotel even to drop off bags and check-in. I can't imagine staying there when it is winter with snow on the ground and trudging through the snow with bags and all! Second, it is not expensive to stay here, but it is the most expensive place in Baker City so you'd think they'd do it up right? No. I read the reviews before we drove 6 hours to stay there. Really should have listened to what people were saying. The first impression of the room, was that it wasn't clean - it may have just been that there were alot of stains, but still, didn't feel clean nor look clean. The highback chairs in the suite were stained horribly, wine spills? many different colors and many stains on the seats and on the backs of the chairs. There were holes in the ceiling and in the wall. I chalked the noise up to the older hotel, but the walls seemed very thin. We had a great view of our vehicle in the parking lot behind the hotel, oh so nice...Anyway, I know it takes a lot of time and money to renovate a historic building of this size, but if you are unable to staff it properly, train your staff, keep up the maintenance, take care of your guests and understand what hospitality means, don't bother inviting in the public. It reflects poorly on the owner's judgment, skill set and ability to run a hotel. Long story short, won't return and have told many friends and family who live in Oregon - not to go there, ever. Trust me and do something I didn't do, consider strongly the reviews posted here and think twice before staying here.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Room accommodations and NOTICEABLE lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business