“A Wonderful Slice of History”
Review of Geiser Grand Hotel

Geiser Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Baker City
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My daughter & I noticed this historic hotel on a cross country drive heading east earlier this year. When it was time to drive west, it was the first place I wanted to visit! I was thrilled with my room, the staff and my breakfast the next morning. Next time I plan to bring my husband and spend more time enjoying the ambiance of this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I got out of town for a long anniversary weekend. With no plans other than 'heading east' we were pleasantly surprised to find the Geiser Grand at the end of our travel. The front desk staff was so welcoming, giving a tour of the last two availabe rooms. Suite 303 gave us a stunning view of the sunset over the Blues. The bed was so comfortable, beyond what we had hoped for. Coffee on the landing in the morning. Can't say enough about the staff, giving information about the area and helping plan side trips for our day. We ordered a picnic lunch for one of our days of sightseeing- it was beautifully presented in a wicker basket!
Their attention to detail is amazing and makes for an absolutely enjoyable stay. It really was hard to leave, but I did take home some of that amazing almond scented lotion. They sell it in the gift shop.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel is haunted by sweet ghosts who leave scents of orchids behind. The staff is amazing and food is divine! I highly recommend it in any room. However room 302 is the suite that offers a jaccuzzi tub for two. This is one hotel you shouldn't skip out on! Tell Barbara I said hello. Kimberly Connell!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happygirl4262
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My wife, I and the dog stay at the Geiser Grand every chance we get on our way between Ketchum and Lake Oswego. We are always welcomed by friendly faces and lots of useful information. The dog knows where the cookies are and we know there is always good food in the dining room(or bar). Our last stay was at Halloween and they closed Main St. from 4-6 for all the kids(and parents) to dress up and trick or treat. The people in vultures row, the Hotel Bar window, critiquing the passersby was a sight. Our room was great and very comfortable.

Room Tip: The are all good even the haunted ones.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Excellent combination of old style architecture with contemporary amenities. Room was extraordinarily clean. I stayed in one of the many suites and it was above expectations. Quiet and comfortable. I did not take part in the dining room on this trip but have in the past. The food is very good and the bar is enjoyable. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here. It is a beautiful historic hotel in the historic district of Baker City. We stayed in a Deluxe King room, which was very comfortable and clean. The carpet was worn, but they have plans to upgrade it in the near future. The service and food in the Palm Court restaurant was good. What was a pleasant stay turned into a poor rating when we went to check out. When we approached the front desk, a manager was correcting an employee. The employee then proceeded to help us with our checkout while the manager took a phone call. We had a discrepancy in our bill, so he attempted to get the manager's attention for help. She snapped at him in our presence and told him to wait until she was off the phone. When she hung up, she told him she would call him, and then left the front desk....with us obviously still waiting for resolution of our billing error. We waited for awhile and when it was obvious she was not returning, we left with the understanding that he would email or call us with the resolution when she returned. The manager was extremely rude to her employee and in turn, to us as customers. The hotel did call later to confirm they had corrected the billing error. After a pleasant stay, the experience as we checked out has definitely left us with no desire to return to this hotel.

1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We recently stayed at this lovely historic hotel in Baker City for four nights. We reserved a Grand Room with a view of downtown and the mountains. It was a very spacious and comfortable room with high ceilings, a chandelier, private bath, 2 beds, a table , 6 arm chairs, and an antique dresser.

The restaurant was great - good food, and very friendly servers. We had breakfast there every morning and dinner three of the four nights during our stay. Menu items include gluten free pasta, pancakes and bread for those of us on a GF diet, which is a definite plus! The Saloon offers a great happy hour, and we enjoyed the live fiddle music on Friday evening.

We also signed up for a tour of the hotel which we found very interesting. The tour guide was quite delightful, and she provided a lot of information about the restoration of the hotel and about the town of Baker City that we didn't know.

I've never met a more helpful or friendly staff! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Geiser Grand, and we would definitely love to stay there again.

FYI: If we could have had anything more, we would have liked having a coffee maker in the room, since we enjoy having coffee before getting dressed and going to breakfast. The hotel does provide complimentary coffee on the third floor each morning until 9:00 am, but my husband always found the pots empty and had to wait for them to be refilled.

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend a room with a view of the town and mountains.