“Best place to stay in Eastern Oregon”
Review of Geiser Grand Hotel

Geiser Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Baker City
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Excellent combination of old style architecture with contemporary amenities. Room was extraordinarily clean. I stayed in one of the many suites and it was above expectations. Quiet and comfortable. I did not take part in the dining room on this trip but have in the past. The food is very good and the bar is enjoyable. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here. It is a beautiful historic hotel in the historic district of Baker City. We stayed in a Deluxe King room, which was very comfortable and clean. The carpet was worn, but they have plans to upgrade it in the near future. The service and food in the Palm Court restaurant was good. What was a pleasant stay turned into a poor rating when we went to check out. When we approached the front desk, a manager was correcting an employee. The employee then proceeded to help us with our checkout while the manager took a phone call. We had a discrepancy in our bill, so he attempted to get the manager's attention for help. She snapped at him in our presence and told him to wait until she was off the phone. When she hung up, she told him she would call him, and then left the front desk....with us obviously still waiting for resolution of our billing error. We waited for awhile and when it was obvious she was not returning, we left with the understanding that he would email or call us with the resolution when she returned. The manager was extremely rude to her employee and in turn, to us as customers. The hotel did call later to confirm they had corrected the billing error. After a pleasant stay, the experience as we checked out has definitely left us with no desire to return to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We recently stayed at this lovely historic hotel in Baker City for four nights. We reserved a Grand Room with a view of downtown and the mountains. It was a very spacious and comfortable room with high ceilings, a chandelier, private bath, 2 beds, a table , 6 arm chairs, and an antique dresser.

The restaurant was great - good food, and very friendly servers. We had breakfast there every morning and dinner three of the four nights during our stay. Menu items include gluten free pasta, pancakes and bread for those of us on a GF diet, which is a definite plus! The Saloon offers a great happy hour, and we enjoyed the live fiddle music on Friday evening.

We also signed up for a tour of the hotel which we found very interesting. The tour guide was quite delightful, and she provided a lot of information about the restoration of the hotel and about the town of Baker City that we didn't know.

I've never met a more helpful or friendly staff! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Geiser Grand, and we would definitely love to stay there again.

FYI: If we could have had anything more, we would have liked having a coffee maker in the room, since we enjoy having coffee before getting dressed and going to breakfast. The hotel does provide complimentary coffee on the third floor each morning until 9:00 am, but my husband always found the pots empty and had to wait for them to be refilled.

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend a room with a view of the town and mountains.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed in the hotel this month of September. Despite the fact that I booked 2 rooms with 2 months in advanced and I "re-confirmed" my presence 2 weeks before my arrival, when I arrived there, I was surprised with the fact that my reservation had been canceled. Although one room had been charged at the moment of the reservation, that money was never refunded. Of course, they could never prove me with an email or anything similar my cancelation.What is more: I have written 2 complaint letters and I have never received an answer. My surprised has been bigger when I have read in several reviews that this is an "usual" practice in the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Quiquegrass
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Northeastern Oregon isn't exactly a tourist mecca, so it's nice when you can stop your stagecoach at a fine hotel that still feels like it's part of the town that Baker City used to be. The restaurant is good, the staff is attentive, and the rooms are fairly elegant, especially the bathrooms. Our time at the Grande was definitely a hospitality highlight of our trip. (The Y down the block worked quite well as the hotel fitness center).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed in Baker City for one night during a 3 week trip. Found the Geiser Grand on Trip Advisor and was pleased. It really is like a trip back in time but also with some modern ammenities. The stained glass ceiling in the dining room is beautiful. The service was not as great in the dining room. The hotel itself was fine with some really lovely rooms. They all are very large with their own baths. We were initially worried that our room on the street would be noisy from traffic but that was only b/c we didn't know there was no traffic in that part of Baker City anyway. Our room had a four poster bed. The whole place was quiet. Enjoyed the hotel but not the dining room.

Room Tip: We asked to see the rooms available before we checked in and they were happy and proud to show us ab...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed in a beautiful parlor suite with our 110 lb. German Shepherd on Sept. 27. We were pleasantly surprised that every room in the hotel is pet friendly and there is no weight/size limit for dogs as in most "pet friendly" accommodations. The staff explained that room carpets are cleaned after a pet has been in the room just in case the next patron does not have an animal guest along. The service was outstanding and included dog biscuits at the front desk for our Big Guy. Every staff person without exception was friendly and answered any question we presented. Room service was prompt and the food was delicious. We will definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple