“Pleasantly Surprised”

Green Chile Kitchen
Ranked #2 of 116 Restaurants in Yukon
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Friday night visit, 7pm. I've been curious about this restaurant since it opened. Every time I considered trying it, I read the reviews, and they were quite mixed, so I held off.
Tonight my lovely wife and I had a free night with no kids, and we finally decided to try it.
When we arrived, the parking lot was full, and there was a 20-minute wait.
Lots of folks were having margaritas in big mason jars. We weren't drinking tonight, but if we were, we definitely would have tried one.
Upon sitting at the table, we were greeted and given chips and fire-roasted salsa. They were both great. I personally would have liked a little more heat in the salsa, but it was still delicious.
We ordered the smothered chicken burrito and the homestyle chicken enchilada. Each came with choice of beans and rice. Best rice I have ever had. I could have eaten 5 more servings. The presentation was nice. We each tasted food from both plates, and agreed the enchilada was the better of the two meals, but they were both great. Seems they use rotisserie chicken in their burritos and enchiladas. Good stuff. Our server was very attentive and friendly, keeping our drinks full and offering a to-go soda at the end. The dessert options sounded great - lemon buttermilk pie and green chile apple pie - but we passed. The decor doesn't wow you, and it is very casual, but it is about the food, isn't it? We will definitely return.

There are newer reviews for Green Chile Kitchen

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Because my sister and I grew up in Albuquerque, we were excited to celebrate my birthday at a restaurant that claims to serve New Mexican food which we have not found yet in the state of Oklahoma. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed. While we did like the atmosphere and the chips and salsa were excellent, the food was below standard. We waited over an hour for a table (not the restaurant's fault-it was a Saturday night and the restaurant is small), but were served chips and salsa outside as we waited. However, we waited 45 minutes after we ordered to receive our food. The food was barely warm. My tamale was good, but would have been much better if it had been served hot. The green and red chile was very bland; definitely not New Mexican standards. My husband's carne adovada did not taste at all like New Mexican carne adovada. In fact, it tasted like cinnamon or curry was added to it so he did not eat his meal. I definitely do NOT recommend that dish. My son also ordered the carne adovada and was sick most of the night. Sad to say, we will not make the trip to Yukon again to eat at Green Chile Kitchen. I hope visitors do not think this is authentic New Mexican food.

3  Thank Lisateach105
Reviewed July 31, 2013

i tried the green chile stew and it was nothing but green chiles. It looks like they had just poured a can of chopped green chiles into a bowl. My wife enchiladas were better but still not good.

1  Thank jsfollett
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

First off, it is summer, and this place does not seem to have AC. I wanted to leave already when we were quoted a 30 min. wait time--this place is tiny so it's not long at any given time before they are full and on a wait. The food seemed intriguing...until we got it. Stuff with green chiles in it was FULL of hard seeds. They tout this "red sauce" that I find revolting. I have traveled all over the southwest--supposedly their inspiration--and never had nasty sauce like that or seeds from chiles. WTH? The staff is super nice & friendly. I ended up trying some rotisserie chicken because it seemed safe. Safe, yes, but also nothing to write home about. Drank a lot because it was so hot in there, but had trouble attracting waiter for refills. Whole experience annoying in general.

2  Thank StarbuckDifranco
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Please be clear that this is not TexMex but Santa Fe Mexican food. It is good and the ingredients are fresh, but I really think our rating has to do with we just prefer TexMex over Santa Fe style. I would highly recommend this restaurant to those of you that like Santa Fe style Mexican food as I really believe you would love it. Note that this restaurant is on the famous Route 66 and at night always packed with a 30 to 45 minute wait.

1  Thank lwmwescott