“Nice hotel, but pricey for a family”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Woodward
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Woodward
Louisiana
“Nice hotel, but pricey for a family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

Hotel is extremely clean and very nice. Front staff very helpful and knowledgeable. Beds are excellent. I definitely recommend the hotel in every regard except price. I wouldn't go so far as to say that the price I paid was unreasonable ($123/night for a suite with AARP discount--all the standard rooms were sold out when I booked the hotel, but the cost of a standard room would have been $119 anyway). However, two thoughts come to mind: 1) $123/night is pricey for a family of four traveling on vacation, and 2) I have consistently paid $99/night with AARP discount for an identical suite at the Comfort Inn & Suites in Kenner, Louisiana (next to New Orleans International airport), where I stay a few times per year. Given my experiences with the the pricing of suites at the Comfort Inn & Suites in a major metropolitan area like New Orleans, I didn't not expect to pay $123/night in small town Woodward, Oklahoma. Although I was very pleased with the hotel and its amenities, given my budget, I would have stayed at the Northwest Inn across the street knowing what I know now. It seemed like a nice place from the outside, and I've since noticed it received good reviews (I didn't see the reviews before booking Holiday Inn Express).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Grand Junction, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2009

We stayed at this new Holiday Inn Express during a quick trip through Oklahoma. Excited to see Woodward had a new place to stay, we were willing to pay the extra $$. The looks are great inside and out, however they scrimped on the insulation. We expect hotel noise and some occasional mumbles from the next room when staying on the road, but this place is new, and it was worse than normal. We could easily hear the casual talking of the family of 4 in the adjacent room. The couple on the other side of us had a baby that woke in the middle of the night. Then there was the heavy-footed person above us walking back and forth to their bathroom while we tried to drift off to sleep. It was very late and we were thankful no one decided to watch some late night TV. It felt like they built the hotel in a great hurry. They placed the toilet paper holder a very long reach from the toilet (finally just took it off and set it on the tank), there was something sticking up under the carpet right outside the bathroom, and the biggest problem, thin walls. It was clean enough and looked great, but unfortunately lacked greatly in its structure. I would definitely check out the new Hampton Inn across the street as soon as it's completed.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fruitfarmers
Kaaawa, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2009

There are lots of cheap motels along the highway through Woodward. The Holiday Inn Express stands out as new and inviting. They are quite busy with workers from the oil industry and other nearby businesses. Check-in was quick. Our room was on the third floor with two queen beds. Beds are very comfortable, room was clean, and the bathroom a good size. Free Internet in the room. Free breakfast downstairs. There are cheaper spots nearby, not sure if any are as nice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

My husband and I just drove up on our wedding night to the hotel and luckly they had 2 rooms left, a suite and a standard. The man in front of us turned to my husband and asked if we just got married, so he gave us the suite. I'm assuming there was a rodeo or something because they were so crowded. And when we were doing the paper work on the suite, to my worry it was a smoking room. But when we went in there the suite was wonderful. And it didn't smell of smoke at all. Very pleased with our stay and was very happy with the room. It was clean and didn't hear any noise from the other rooms. I don't know what a standard room is like but the suite was nice, and they cut us a deal being that it was the last room.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Midland, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2006

This is easily the nicest hotel in Woodward. Right next to the Super Wal-Mart, but not close to any restaurants as far as I could tell.

Upon check-in I immediately had a problem with their internet (available both wired and wireless). It took a good bit of prodding to convince them to reset their system -- the reset fixed the problem. Another guest asked me if I had gotten on the internet, and I told him about my struggle. He said that he'd been at the hotel a week with no internet -- that they'd refused to reset the system if only one person had a problem.

On my 2nd night I had another problem: the person in the next room had their TV loud enough for me to hear. When I turned up my TV, they turned up theirs. Eventually theirs was loud enough for me to hear it as if it were in my room. I finally asked to be moved to another room. The 2nd room I was in had a completely dead air conditioner. I was in there just long enough to notice that I could hear the TV in the next room. Moved to a 3rd room, where I could also hear the neighbor's TV. Fortunately, a volume war did not break out. I'm not sure if this problem is due to thin walls, or if everyone else -- like me -- found it very hard to hear their TV's over the very noisy air conditioners, and had to crank up the volume.

Other than these 2 problems, I had a good stay. The beds are very comfortable, the showers were great, and the rooms were super clean. The staff was friendly and accomodating, other than the internet issue. Breakfast was standard for Holiday Inn Express -- a wide assortment of fresh pastries, fruit, juices and coffee.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business