“Nice Park, Poor Hiking Trails”

Robbers Cave State Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Wilburton
Oklahoma
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Nice Park, Poor Hiking Trails”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Robber's Cave is a very nice park, however, the hiking trails leave a lot to be desired. There are two trails that start in the parking lot at the cave. The short trail to the cave is fine. The longer trail, approximately 3 miles and 2 1/2 hours in length, is terrible. Poorly marked and with very little signage and not maintained at all. While the scenery is nice you can't enjoy it because of the poorly maintained trail. My wife and I completed the hike recently but with a lot of anxiety about whether or not we were going in the right direction. The trail is marked with spray painted dots on treees, however, various trails overlap and the markings are the same. It would be very easy to get turned around, back track on your trail, or get off on another trail. There are no maps provided. Word of advice: If you attempt this hike, ENSURE you have at least 4 hours of daylight left before starting.

Visited January 2014
4 Thank TravisOklahoma

Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“great family day trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

We enjoyed our day trip to Robber's Cave so much that we are making plans to come back for a tent camping trip before the summer heat begins. The hike to the cave was challenging enough for my adventure-seeking husband, yet easy enough for me, as we decided to take different paths to the cave entrance. Next time I plan to buy a walking stick to steady myself, since the path has many small and big rocks to navigate. The path is clearly marked with orange spray paint on the trees, but it is easy to pick a slightly altered path that is more to individual preference and skill. My 3yo daughter loved climbing, and finding her own path! I wasnt worried about her falling over the edge, as she is quick to obey, and I kept her on the inner/upper side most of the time, and had her hold my hand when needed. She fell a few times, but that is normal childhood! To get into the cave, it took both of us. One parent before, and one after, because there is a steep climb. If it had been wet, from a previous rain, it would have been extremely dangerous. I don't recommend this hike to anyone who has trouble balancing. There is a great vista on top of the cave. We paused to enjoy a snack here, and while it isnt Colorado, it certainly is worth a pic to show and tell!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank GeorgiaMichaelTaylor
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“If you want a break from the world... this is it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

We stayed in some small cabins, they came with a fully equipped kitchen two queen beds, and a pull out. There was a front porch and coffee pot, so I was sold! Its not to well known or visited in the winter/fall months so its the perfect time for a weekend getaway.

Visited November 2013
Bunch, Oklahoma
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Peace and quiet in the winter.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed a night in the (motel-lodge). The room was comfortable and had a great view over the valley below. The hiking up and around the Cave area was a popular hike with rocks and slots and caves.

Visited March 2013
calhoun
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fix the swimming area!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

It's a wonderful place! I've been coming here for over 30 years and in all that time the swimming area has never been maintained! For as many people visit this place every year it seems they could get some heavy equipment and do something to it!! It's the worst part of the whole park and that is really sad because it's a beautiful lake. If you do go swimming...wear your shoes!

Visited July 2013