“Horrid”

Doubletree Hotel Tulsa-Downtown
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Tulsa
Reviewed May 28, 2007

Worst hotel in Tulsa, will never stay at a Hilton brand again. The worst hotel staff. Housekeeping did not even clean up the room

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank CMontell
Write a ReviewReviews (1,158)

Reviewed April 9, 2007

I'm in Tulsa at least once a month on business. Parking garage is poorly designed. Breakfast buffet is overpiced and barely average quality. Elevators were malfuntioning and causing many business travelers to be off schedule during my last visit. When I reported the elevators to the front desk, they were clueless. But, it is the best downtown hotel. I stay in the Southern Hills Marriot when I can even though it a 15 minute drive to my Tula office.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed March 15, 2007

Great location yet overall a HORRIBLE experience, very dirty pillow cases, moldy room, stained carpet, stained bed sheets...It looked and smelled terrible like a cheap $ 30 motel...Just nad...A total ripoff...People at the front desk were not too friendly either. We booked a room with two queen size beds over the phone and confirmed it with the woman at the reception yet was in for a big surprise when we saw how small--NOT QUEEN size beds--they were. When I called back the reception, I did not even get an apology...On the positive side, the bell boy was really very nice and professional...

• Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank BMM-Ponca
Reviewed February 26, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel six or seven times over the past two years, all on business with a supplier in the center of Tulsa. I really don't have much choice as the hotel is a preferred corporate provider. However, I had previously used the Crowne Plaza (formerly the Adam's Mark) for my visits to Tulsa and I definitely prefer the Doubletree.

The advantages to the hotel are a very good shuttle service - on my last visit they took me to the airport "on the spot" rather than making me wait 25 minutes for the next scheduled shuttle service. They have also taken me to the office I visit in the mornings when it is raining - and done so cheerfully - a concept foreign to the Adam's Mark. The restaurant service is better than some hotels, but see below.

The other big advantage - relative to the Crowne Plaza - is that the hotel is quieter. The Crowne Plaza is near busy railroad tracks and many nights you are interrupted in your sleep by constant blowing of train horns. You will not get this at the Doubletree, and my experience is that the rooms facing east are quieter than the rooms facing west.

The disadvantages to the hotel are its location - at least a three / four block uphill walk to any downtown office. This is not a problem if you are in town for a convention at the hotel or convention center across the street, of course. Additionally, downtown Tulsa is one of the most "dead" places you will ever find. The nearest signs of life are two - three miles away at Utica Square.

Also, I find the hotel breakfast service to be adequate at best. The service is somewhat "throw and go" and if you are using a HHonors voucher, you often will never get a receipt to add a tip. Additionally, the muffins are nowhere near fresh / homemade.

I have found the level of help at the front desk to vary considerably. It's typically adequate, but not always overly friendly or helpful.

The rooms themselves are large, but I have had problems with poor maintenance - lights burnt out, etc. Also, the light switches for the bathroom lights are very inconveniently placed.

This is not a hotel you would typically stay other than for a convention or business trip.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank jbtexas
Reviewed February 15, 2007

I always thought Doubletree's were my favorite hotel...

My room was robbed twice in one stay at this hotel by the housekeeping staff. I was hesitant to blame the housekeeper until the second incident. The hotel manager told me stay and file a report with the police so that I wouldn't have trouble getting on my plane. She should have known that they wouldn't show up for over an hour and that they wouldn't give me a police report anyway!! I missed my plane and had no proof of the loss of my ID and the manager could not even bring herself to apologize for that!!

The theft was verified by the security officer when my statements corresponded directly with the electronic records of my room lock. However, the staff of the hotel and the Hilton corporation were absolutely terrible in handling the situation. It took me a month to get the situation handled to completion. I was directed to the insurance company who initially denied my claim, simply because they hold all the evidence confidential and make an unmitigated decision. It was only after I pushed the manager of the hotel to override their decision that they paid out my claim. Still after all that, no offer from Hilton to reimburse me or give me a free night or two. The Guest Assistance department literally made me ask them 'what I wanted from them' before they would entertain any sort of restitution; after which I was juggled back and forth between the hotel and the corporation over who's responsibility that was! It was all very appalling, disgusting and further humiliating. I have been a loyal Hilton member, staying at Hiltons hotels one week a month for the last six years. After this experience, I will certainly change my loyalties. I though that staying with one group of hotels would count for something when something like this happened to me, but apparently they couldn't care less. Even if every other hotel chain is just as terrible in handling these situations, I still think I would be foolish to give any more money to Hilton after this experience. Just remember, don't leave anything valuable in your room even for a minute! Staying in a 'nice' hotel is no guarantee of security, responsibility or appropriate customer service.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank silversurfernyny
Reviewed October 28, 2006

Your typical legacy hotel chain - stranded in a moribund downtown area, miles from anything safe or entertaining to do in the evening. Not even a good view, and the pervasive smell of refineries does nothing for the ambience.

They charge for everything - parking in their filthy, gloomy, and difficult-to-maneuver-in garage ($4.60 @ day + taxes), internet access ($9.95 @ day + taxes), room service surcharges ($3 delivery charge, mandatory 18% tip), etc.

And they charge a lot.

A burger fries, soup & Coke ran $37 with tax, manadatory tip & delivery charge. Wasn't good, either.

Vending machines are outrageous, and one ripped me off completely.

Tried the restaurant/bar, and prices were astronomical, service was perfunctory, and quality was abysmal.

Greek salad was lacking the main ingredient (no Bermuda onions as advertised).

Got a take-out burger one night, and it came with about 3 oz. of lukewarm cottage cheese and no condiments - none. Cost? $10.

Even the guest laundry (I was surpised they even had one) was overpriced. The on-site Starbucks refuses to make change, too, even if you make a purchase.

If you stay here, better plan on driving to Sand Springs or east quite a way to do any shopping or dining. Nothing in downtown Tulsa to do that I could see.

Do yourself a favor and stay in one of the newer chain hotels, and give this white elephant a miss.

Hint: you can avoid paying for their wireless internet by seraching for the "public" signal. I was able to get this in my room free for 7 days.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank Mr_Vengeance
Reviewed October 22, 2006

Doubletree Downtown recently spent $150K remodeling and updating their Presidential Suites. My husband and I visited this weekend for a quick getaway from the kids and were in awe! HIgh end fabrics you don't normally see in a hotel like velvet and silk were chosen in soothing blue/grey tones. Granite and marble countertops in the bathroom and kitchen area blend beautifully with the colors cheme throughout the whole suite. Two walk-in closets the size of bedrooms had me ready to ditch our south Tulsa home. If you need a quick respite from the daily grind or lodging during a vacation, I highly recommend the Presidential Suites at Doubletree Hotel Downtown Tulsa.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business