“A comfortable stay but a bit expensive”

Doubletree Hotel Tulsa-Downtown
Ranked #15 of 108 Hotels in Tulsa
Beaumaris, United Kingdom
“A comfortable stay but a bit expensive”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I wouldn't normally stay at a hotel like this but I was here for a conference, at a special negotiated rate which was very good value. The room was enormous and had everything one could want apart from decent coffee maker: even doubling up on the pods and halving the water could not produce an acceptable cup of coffee. The breakfast in the hotel was only average at marked-up prices, but there is no alternative very close by so you are somewhat stuck with it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
David W, Front Office Manager at Doubletree Hotel Tulsa-Downtown, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us! We are thrilled you enjoyed your room and had a comfortable stay. I'm so sorry the coffee wasn't to your liking! While there may not be many places within walking distance of the hotel, we do provide shuttle service within a 3 mile range and there are a number of great restaurants besides our own that we like to recommend. Next time we see you, be sure to ask one of our front desk members for a local listing!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Tulsa OK, United States
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I found this to be a very good hotel, comfortable, with excellent services and staff. I was there to attend an academic symposium of about 250 people. The hotel did an excellent job to support the symposium.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

David, thank you for giving us a review of your stay and meeting. I'm happy the symposium went well and we really hope to get the opportunity to host your group again!
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Pros:

- Fast, easy to use internet. I had to work - emailing back and forth papers, etc - and had no problems.
- Comfortable bed and pillows.
- Good water pressure in the shower.
- Helpful and friendly front desk staff.

Cons:

- Ordered food from their restaurant and got a really unappetizing meal of mush (picture attached) which is supposed to be salmon, risotto, and grilled vegetables. It was $19 + tax + tip so somewhere around $25-$30 all told. It was not good. Additionally, you had to specifically request water, bread, and butter, or they didn't include it.
- It may have been the floor I was on (11th - maybe there was hardwood floor above me?), but when I was trying to sleep someone was walking on the floor above me in high heels, and it sounded like someone was hammering nails into my headboard. Even with earplugs, my hands over my ears, and a pillow over my head, it was still too loud to sleep. I had to wait an hour or so until they went to bed.
- I was nursing, so had to ask for a refrigerator. They nicely brought one up, but it was really dirty and stained inside with something sticky -- ok in my case since I was storing individual sealed bags, but gross.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thanks for your review of the property. We love hearing both sides of the coin and will use your comments to improve our performance. I'm so sorry to hear your stay was less than perfect and will be sure to provide our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager with the picture you provided. It is certainly not up to the standards we wish to provide our guests. Thank you again, and we hope to see you back soon!
Wichita, United States
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We were treated very well and will certainly visit again. We were in town for the Bruno Mars concert and it was an easy walk to the venue. The Hotel was clean, the staff was awesome and the drinks were delightful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Nancy, thanks for your review of your stay! I heard such great things about the concert and am glad we could have been a part of the experience! There's more great shows coming up this fall so I hope to see you back soon!
Duncan, United States
Reviewed June 9, 2014

This is a very nice hotel and it is within walking distance of the BOK Center and the Tulsa Convention Center. Staff is friendly, parking is convenient, cookies are delicious. The pool offers a great family hangout and doesn't close until 12pm. There are a FEW arcade games also available.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

David W, Front Office Manager at Doubletree Hotel Tulsa-Downtown, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Anthony, thanks for the 5-star review of the hotel. Your comments were short and sweet, and very much appreciated! Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you next time!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 8, 2014

The hotel has been renovated. All the carpets, linens, beds and bathrooms are clean. The staff were friendly and helpful.

I was in a non-smoking room but there was still a strong stale smoke smell coming out of the central air ducts. The ducts need to be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the hotel! I'm glad you like the work we've been doing with the property. We've seen renovations over the past year and a half to our restaurant, lobby, ballrooms, public restrooms, front desk, and more, and I'm happy to say we are in the final stages of our guest room renovations as well! I will be sure to pass along your comments to our Director of Engineering regarding the ducts. With such a new product, we'd hate to have it blemished with the smell of stale smoke. Thanks again!
Decatur, AL
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Overall, a nice property; however, my stay was made less pleasant by several customer service issues. The clerk who checked me in had zero knowledge about the conference I was attending (and I didn't expect her to know everything, but one simple question was met with an " I dunno". Not, let me try to find out; not, let me see if anybody knows. I asked at checkin for a refrigerator for my room, at which point I was told it would be $10/night. I am almost positive that I have NEVER been charged for a refrigerator at any Marriott property I have stayed in; but this is the second Hilton property which charged me for an amenity that even cheap hotels offer routinely. I had to ask 3 additional times before the refrigerator was finally delivered to the room. The clerk asked me if I was parking a vehicle, and then when ran into all kinds of issues when tryinig to assign me a room. When she finally got me checked in, and I went to park the car, I realized she had given me no information about how the parking system works for guests who are parking at the hotel. Had to figure that one out on my own (it would have been nice to know that once you get the ticket, you bring it to the desk for validation for the remainder of your stay. Perhaps this was another issue about which she didn't know anything.)Housekeeping skipped my room yesterday. I asked the housekeeper on the other side of the hall to please ensure that someone knew I wanted my room serviced. 2 hours later, returned to my room;still dirty. Had to call to ask for the room to be cleaned. They finally showed up when I was trying to take a short nap. One of my business colleagues told me that housekeeping actually came to his room; he told them he would leave so that she could clean; and then when he came back nothing was done. He did note that he saw several of the housekeeping staff texting/talking on their cell phones in the hall. There are 4 elevators, but evidently for some reason most weren't in service (not labeled as such, just not running). Not especially convenient when there are several groups staying in the hotel. The final aggravation was this afternoon when I got ready to print my boarding pass for tomorrow's flight. The first computer evidently wasn't communicating with the printer, so after a couple of attempts, checking to see that indeed this printer was the default for the computer, and checking to see that the printer appeared to be functional, I moved to a different computer. Same issue. I went to the front desk, where a very nice young man (much more knowledgable than the clerk who checked me in) came in to attempt to solve the problem. After some minor troubleshooting, he called the IT manager, who was off for the weekend. The IT manager admitted that they had just moved this printer in; it had this glitch before he was off for the weekend; but just didn't get it fixed. I found that to be annoying; surely with several groups staying, there would be lots of people who needed to print boarding passes. How was this supposed to be accomplished? Guess he figured it wasn't his problem and he'd get to it on Monday. The nice young man let me come into his office to use his computer and printer, so I was able to print my boarding passes. This seems like a minor complaint; and it is; but if there was an awareness of the problem, it should have been handled and not left for Monday. Overall, with the exception of the clerk who checked me in, the staff was pleasant and competent. But so many irritating details kept me from giving more than a 3-star rating.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm so sorry that all of the positive things you experienced were soured by the encounter with a few of our staff members. I'd love to get some more specifics from you if you wouldn't mind giving me a call at 918-587-8000. Thank you again for your candid comments!