“Go for the food, stay for the atmosphere”

Maxxwell's Restaurant
Ranked #203 of 1,307 Restaurants in Tulsa
Cuisines: American
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
“Go for the food, stay for the atmosphere”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed a night at the Campbell and got to experience Maxxwell's just a week after it's opening. The dinner menu was easy to navigate with many recognizable favorites such as burgers, sandwiches and entrees. My wife got the pork chop and I opted for the Okie Special which is a half pound burger with white gravy, cheddar, honey roasted ham and topped with a fried egg. The pork chop was cooked perfectly and highly recommended. My burger was cooked well, the patty was juicy, the buns were toasted yet it was more of a novelty rather than a culinary revelation. I like to try different things and I am usually a sucker for novelty. I probably wouldn't order it again.

The atmosphere at Maxxwell's was comfortable and welcoming. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The decor is clean and open. The bar counter is long with a wide selection of spirits. There is plenty of room in the bar area for a fun gathering yet in its own space apart from the dining room. The dining room was a mix of booths and tables. There was a casual feel to the restaurant and the large windows add to the openness.

Maxxwell's is a place that is sure to be a hit with the locals and travelers alike. Those who stay at the Campbell will be glad they won't have to venture far for a nice meal and the locals will be sure to support an open and friendly establishment.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Rod M

Oklahoma
“Great Food - Great Vibe”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stumbled across Maxwell's last night. Fantastic find! I love the atmosphere; the great pictures of Tulsa and the decor.....great vibe there. I ordered the pork chop dinner. It was the thickest chop I've ever seen! Delicious taste. Sides were garlic mashed potatoes (REAL!) and seasoned vegetables. Service was excellent. I will definitely be back. And I'm havin' the meatloaf..... ;o)

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank ZinkGirl
Tulsa, OK
“Cleanest "diner" you'll ever see...”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

After reading reviews on this and other forums, my wife and I went to Maxxwell's for lunch today. It is a retro diner in the sense that the signage outside, and great vintage Tulsa photos of some of Tulsa's most famous places in the glory days are prominently displayed throughout. It has a high tin ceiling and beautiful sconces and chandeliers the like of which I've not seen. The bar area is separated by a low wall and is also well-appointed. The bathrooms were extremely clean. We were immediately greeted by a very friendly hostess and waitress (Elyse) who answered all our questions. Did I mention the place was clean? The menu has a nice variety of items and they serve breakfast, though I neglected to ask if you can get breakfast all day. I had the Beer Battered Cod, fries and coleslaw ($14). The fries are hand cut, the slaw is very creamy and tasty and the cod was perfectly cooked. My wife had the Old School Burger and fries ($8) which came on house-made buns. It's a perfect addition to the Campbell Hotel, a recently refurbished and very clean hotel in the same building. It's on 11th Street, close to TU, and though we've been to Happy Hour in the Campbell's small bar, we'll probably give Maxxwell's a try when they get their Happy Hour firmed up.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank TulsaZephyr
Tulsa
“we are so glad this place (maxwell's) is open”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

very friendly and attentive wait staff. Very nice atmosphere. I had beer battered cod that was the cleanest, non-oily fish that I think I've ever had. My wife had a pork chop that she liked more than steak. We will be back often.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank AllentheOZ
Monument, Colorado
“Great meatloaf”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Probably the best meatloaf that I've had in any diner, cool little lunch place. My buddy had the smoky mac and cheese and also enjoyed it.

Visited September 2013