“Avoid like the plague...”

Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen
Ranked #40 of 1,365 Restaurants in Tulsa
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Apparently, this place is known for large helpings, and cheap prices. The place is swarming with "large" people who are only looking for a large meal, with no regard to taste. I attended this place with a party of 6. The appetizer dip smelled like under arm BO. The steaks came out either way over cooked, or raw in the middle. The salmon was burnt on both sides, but raw in the middle. We noticed that other tables were sending their food back to the kitchen with similar issues. Not sure how this company makes any money....

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Really enjoyed the Veggie plate and onion rings. So much to choose from. Was traveling from Michigan to meet up with friend in Tulsa, My parents, sister and I enjoyed sitting down for a large family meal. Dad wanted steak and enjoyed it. The service is great and fast. Very clean.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I eat at Cheddar's often. I always order the Veggie Plate with Chicken Tortilla Soup and with my choice of 4 veggies. So very good, at such a great price! We enjoy the bar area. Nice atmosphere. The place can get very busy, so avoid prime lunch and dinner times unless you don't mind waiting a while.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Have eaten at Cheddars in Tulsa, Oklahoma many many times and have ALWAYS been very pleased with the food, price and service. Best time to go to avoid the crowds is from 3 to 5 pm. Enjoy!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I had heard about it. But I would not believe it. So I did go and eat the Cheddar in Tulsa on East 71st, and I was shocked at what I saw and experienced.

I have been to this Cheddar so many times while visiting Broken Arrow and Tulsa. As it is on Kenosha, and not far from my visit places, I have brought many people over there. I had already seen, last February, that some things were not as good as before, but I thought that it might have been just something that week. But now, it is a totally other story.

Let me first tell what I saw and experienced, then I will give some of the reasons why Cheddar's food and service degraded so much in few weeks.

First of all, the three of us where seated in the new extension of Cheddar. I had not time to let my time sit on her side that the man collecting the glasses adamantly asked me to move away so he could pass.

We got our menus. Each one was dirty: tomato sauce on it, even mayonnaise, there were crusts sticking on the menus. It was just yeaky.

For appetizer, I was looking for chips with spinach deep. They brought me their casual chips with a type of white liquid that was dropping every where. When I complained about this, the server told me that he could bring the spinach but that he had to charge me for it. I said what? Is it my fault if you do not understand my order? Well, it's all right.

We were three, but we had received only two small plates for the appetizer. By the time our meal dishes arrived, we still had not silvers, no napkins – My son had to go and pick the napkins himself!!!

Looking around, there was a drink menu on the floor. I waited to see how long it would stay on the floor in the main corridor, it stayed there at least 15 minutes until someone – and I am not sure it was a waiter, but at least someone picked it up.

We got our refills as usual, except for the fact, that the empty glasses were not taken back, so we had five or six empty glasses on the table! When the waiter was told to take them out, he replied to me that it was not his job but the one who is supposed to do it, did not do it, obviously. Of course, he took them out.

I mean. But where are we? I have traveled in many destinations in the world, I've seen terrible things in restaurants, but never, I could expect this from Cheddar. What happened to Cheddar Tulsa?

Well, in the business world, every problem can be traced to a source. There must be reasons for this ugly transformation of Cheddar Tulsa. I will try to give some that I think might be good ones:

1. The personal might be under much pressure from manager and therefore make many mistakes. It is obvious that if a manager pushes and pushes his personal, eventually, the personal will make mistakes. In fact, I saw the manager spend his time running around like a dog, following his personal. Is he a new manager? Maybe. One thing though, this is not the way to bring security to your team.

2. Another possible reason, would be that the manager is not properly trained and therefore is not able to properly train his team. I hope that this is not the case, but you never know.

3. It could also be that the team is reduced in personal and therefore much pressure is put on the team. But why reduce personal in a restaurant that has always have had so much success? Well, sometimes, large companies take new managers hoping that they could help reduce the costs on a very successful business. Well, it could be. But, in the restaurant industry, if success creates greed and therefore reducing costs on quality and personal, it will always cause the restaurant to shut down. Just mark my words, unless a restaurant makes the necessary changes, it will shut down.

4. Finally, another reason could be that no pressure has been added to the personal, but there are so much changes in the team, or in the procedures, that the employes are completely disorientated and confused and are not able to follow the pace of these changes, that many times only add emotional and stressful pain on the employes.

My advise for Cheddar's, would be to have them revise as soon as possible their procedures, their training, their managerial skills and find out what is going out. Words were already out before I went there. I could not believe it. But, know, I do not need to believe it anymore. I know it for myself.