“Good Food, but don't go in a large group.”

Chimi's Mexican Food
Ranked #313 of 1,375 Restaurants in Tulsa
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I am a member of an organization that held a dinner meeting at Chimi's recently. As I recall, this is the third time in the last 18 months that we have done that. The first time our group was seated at an assembled group of tables in the main seating area. Service was good. Second time we were seated in a side room--service was very bad. This month we were again seated in a different remote area of the restaurant. Service again was very very slow. I, personally, have never had this problem when my family has eaten there (2-4 people). Food is good, but it would seem that they don't like to serve groups over six or eight. Disappointing.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

The sonoran is the best! Good chips and salsa as well

Reviewed February 15, 2012

I have to admit their Macho Nachos are quite crave-able, so don't try them if you are a nacho fan. I cannot commit on all of their food options but the Macho Nachos and the chicken soft corn tacos are yummy. This is not your authentic, cheap dive restaurant.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

We happen to be in town for my daughters volleyball tournament when we drove by this place at night. It looked like it would be worth a try so the next day we stopped in before we headed home. The food was just your average TexMex that you would expect from most places like this. We didn't get to venture into the drinks since we had a little bit of a drive home. So I can't give any reviews on the bar. I would give this place another try if I happen to be in the neighborhood again. But no, It was nothing special that I would drive out of my way for.

Reviewed November 20, 2011

Chimi's has been a staple of Tulsa's Mexican food scene for decades. Back in the day (the 1980's & early 90's), they were the one to beat. They were the first Mexican restaurant that got everyone's attention. Soon they were opening locations around town.

Time did what it tends to do to restaurants however, and their menu grew stale. In the meantime, other Mexican restaurants began opening (some regional chains), and Chimi's didn't keep up. The reviews you'll see on this site are reflective of that. Chimi's went from being the top Mexican restaurant in town, to mediocre at best.

When my 9 year daughter suggested we go to Chimi's tonight, I figured I would "go along with it". It's a good family environment and rarely crowded.

I can't begin to tell you how pleasantly surprised I was. I've been to this restaurant dozens of times over the years, and I thought I had seen it all there. They have totally revamped not only their menu, but it appears they have new recipes and maybe a new head cook.

Appearing on the menu were things like carnitas , and grilled tilapia. I had the tilapia, and it was quite good. My wife had the carne asada tacos and was equally pleased. Even the kid's menu taco my son had seemed to be on a higher quality taco shell. We were all very happy with our meals and I, for one, was very pleasantly surprised at how Chimi's has decided to "up their game".

If you've been to Chimi's before, don't assume it's the same food they've had for the past 30 years. Up til now, that was a safe assumption. But they've changed . . . and for the better.

If you've never been before, go enjoy a Tulsa tradition. A tradition with a new attitude.

Been to Chimi's Mexican Food? Share your experiences!