“A Bit of Britain”

Ranked #44 of 1,349 Restaurants in Tulsa
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Well I have not had the priveledge of visiting jolly old England yet but I felt I had been there after visiting this little gem in Tulsa OK. I like to go to anything local and different and when I get the chance... well I am there. The White Lion was wonderful and it is rare that I go somewhere and look on the menu and decide what I am going to have the next time I come back. The location is tucked just off of 71st street on Canton (East of 71st & Yale). Yes the place is an older "house" and it is dark and some people say dingy... Well I call it character. I liotteraly felt like i should be seeing people in period attire walking through. It is that well decorated and set, you could have waiters in costume and it woul look right. Well enough of that. The place only holds 75 people so you might want to call for reservations on the busy nights but I was lucky enough to get in for a seat of 1 on this particular friday night. I was met with a by lady with a British accent and she sat me promptly. They were busy and it took a second for here to take care of me but hey they were busy. The menu is small but complete. Even though it is called a pub they can accomodate children so they even have a hamburger and grilled cheese on the menu. The wait staff is very friendly and very helpful. If you dont understand something on the menu he explained in american translation. I started with sausage rolls. My waiter brought me a bottle of HP to eat them with. I found out that HP is Englands A1 or worsteshire or a cross between both. It was different but tasty. Loved the the sausage rolls.I ordered the fish & chips. Lets say i have been looking for good fish & chips in tulsa... I have found them. Not a great big portion but... that brings me to the last things... the price. Not a big price. Everthing is not priced high. I dont t think anything is more than $15. The fish and chips are around $9. I was told the dish called "A Taste of the Midlands" is the dish to have so I am going back to have that one. So to close out this little review... I am going back, I am giving it my highest honors. If you are looking for different and possibly authentic English Pub food... This is that place. Some people call it bland... I call it food with character. This is also a place for a nice drink. You could go here right after work. The White Lion... I can't wait to visit this place again. BTW: Pub is open til 11:30... the kitchen closes at 9:30.

2  Thank nighttalk

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Indeed this is a local gem. Didn't know about the Brie, though, so we'll have to go back :) And we will give the place another chance or two... Anyway, we decided to go here to make an English evening along with Downton Abbey (which we've just discovered). And it was quite good. I want to take my daughter, who lived in England, to see what her experience is. It's just so much fun to be able to go to an English pub in Tulsa, OK. My husband had bangers & mash & enjoyed it. I'm the consummate picky eater, so I found the selection limited. I was a bit surprised that they couldn't provide a variety of teas. After all, isn't England the place of teas? We'll give this pub another chance.

3  Thank Edie W
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Get the baked brie. Don't question, don't second guess, just get the baked brie.

The atmosphere is very homy, you feel like you're in someone's living room. The service was great, people were constantly coming by to check on us. The food was so delicious.

I just can't recommend this place enough.

3  Thank SoonerDVM
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We had reservations on a Friday evening, 7 in our party, had a great time, excellent service from Pinky. If you haven't been you should go, there's no other place in Tulsa like it.

1  Thank livinthedream1960
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I always start my reviews with a "why you should listen to me" thing so here it is--I lived in England (Cambridge for you nosey people) for almost four years and did my fair share of pub explorations (ask me later about the Cambridge Gallon Challenge!) so I would like to think I know a thing or two about a typical English pub experience.

I went to the White Lion once long before my trip to England as a sort of welcome home for my sister who just did a semester abroad as a student teacher with the DoD and to be fair I didn't think too much of the place. I thought it was a bit dingy and dark and the food selection was sooooo...., well, British. Simple. Non-creative. Boring maybe?

That was then.

Fast forward about 6 years and I find myself back from my extended stay in Cambridge and I was homesick for English fare so I went back to the White Lion. Truth be told, not much changed but IMHO, that's what makes this place PERFECT! The food was still simple but after travelling from Land's End to Aberdeen I found that MOST UK food is pretty simple but simple doesn't mean poor. Simple means they let the ingredients talk for themselves. The beer selection was decent--something I couldn't appreciate before being under 21 on my first visit. The dingy/darkness thing was a page right out of a standard UK pub. Don't mistake me for equating dingy/dark with dirty--this place was clean!

Bottom line--get yourself to this place and check it out for yourself. If you don't like the food, don't bother going to the UK--the experience will be 100% lost on you. If you feel the need to take a trip down memory lane and relive your times in the UK--this place is exactly what you need!

3  Thank Rebecca R