“Good ol' burger and root beer”

Brownie's Hamburger Stand
Ranked #167 of 1,351 Restaurants in Tulsa
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This place is a seat yourself and has a simple menu posted on the wall. I knew I was in the right place when I saw freedom fries and okra for sides. I ordered neither, because the waitress suggested we try the onion rings. I was pleasantly surprised to find them thin, which made them crispy. I had the deluxe hamburger and my husband the deluxe cheeseburger. Both were made to order and loved the fact they grilled the onions. It was the perfect size for me, but I like thin burgers. If you were hungry or have a bigger appetite, I would suggest getting the double patty. It was a simple good burger with a little grease on the bun from the grill, which is the point of eating at an ole fashion joint. To the star of the meal...the root beer. It was homemade and I can taste the sugar. No corn syrup! It was served in a frosted mug and had just the right amount of bite. Another pleasant experience, our waitress refilled them without us asking. Both of us filled up on root beer and didn't have room for pie. The pies looked delicious and several tables around us ordered slices.

Overall we enjoyed our meal. The waitstaff was prompt and was chatty with us and other tables. It didn't take long for our meal to show up at our table. The place was a little on the greasy side, but that was my expectation.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Tradition is a great thing, greasy spoons can be fun, but not when it is filthy and this place is filthy. We almost ran before the waitress brought us water but we did not make it out the door in time! My husband and I have spent the rest of the day with up set sto

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have lived in the Tulsa area for around fifty years, having come to the area when my family moved from NYC when I was around nine. I have driven past the Brownie's sign many, many times. A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I decided we might as well sample the products from this classic Tulsa burger bar and get it off our bucket list.

The restaurant itself has a fairly low seating capacity: a choice of a few tables, a few booths without a lot of excess space, and the lunch counter itself, where you will be sitting on the old-fashioned drug store type stools with a counter in front.

We opted for a booth. Service from the waitress was quick. She brought us our glasses of water while we checked out the menu on the walls.

I ordered the deluxe double cheeseburger (a 'deluxe" order adds lettuce and a slice of tomato to the order). I also ordered jalapenos and bacon for the burger, with pieces of onion cooked into the patty, and a dab of mustard on the hamburger buns. I also ordered a side of large fries.

My wife opted for a double cheeseburger with onions cooked in the meat fixed with lettuce and tomato, and mustard. She also ordered onion rings as a side dish.

We both ordered the very good Root beer which Brownies is famous for.

Service was quick. Both meals were brought to our booth in around five minutes.

The burgers were served on small plates barely adequate for the size of the burgers. Same setup for the onion rings and french (here, FREEDOM) fries. The onion rings were thin-sliced and lightly-battered and were delicious! They were not overly oily.
The french "freedom fries" appeared to be hand cut with the skins left on them and were slightly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, Brownie's scored big extra points for me by bringing the fries out unsalted. That left it up to me to decide how much salt I wanted on my fries.

The burgers were of typical Okie construction (which, for me, is a good thing). They are smallish, yet flavorful when fully cooked, due to the moisture content the onions impart to the patty, They have obviously been griddle, as opposed to charcoal grill cooked. The hamburger buns are soft and seem a bit greasy, in a good way,

Eating a Brownie's burger off their small plates is an exercise in avoiding drips. Be sure you have plenty of napkins. We both thought the burgers were delicious. The word juicy applies in spades.

We thought the sides were done better at Brownie's than at most places: tastier, less oily, and not overly seasoned, We were in burger bar heaven.

Finally having eaten at Brownie's, I now understand why their parking lot usually looks full most any time I drive past. I will definitely be back for another burger fix within a couple of weeks.

Over the years, I've come to realize with both burgers and pizza especially, it's a matter of different strokes for different folks. If you want a highly-seasoned grilled hamburger, Brownie's is not the place for you. If, on the other hand, you want a real Okie burger with the onions fried in that's juicy and bursting with good flavor, give Brownie's a try. I think you'll leave very satisfied.

2  Thank rottenfriend
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Brownies has unfortunately taken a drastic fall from previous days. I actually went twice in 7 days. The 1st time seemed like the good old days and I would have rated it a 4 or 5. But too many times now the food is not up to standards. We sat at the bar and the bus boy cleaned off all of the area around us (over a 15 minute period), and never cleaned the area in front of me. I won't return.

1  Thank dwstanley
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had never been to Brownie's before, even though I am a Tulsa native. Some people seem to like it so I thought I'd give it a try. So I walk in, and a boy--looked about 10 years old--was busing and cleaning tables. I took a seat, and it was the ten year old who took my drink order and got my drink. I assume he was a relative of the owner, if not I'm not sure he could legally be working there. Place did not appear to be particularly clean. Windowsills looked dirty. Apparently, there is no menu except what is posted above the counter. Before my order was taken, some sort of grumbling was going on between one of the waitresses and a man who worked there. I ordered a burger and onion rings. Burger was small, and decent. The onion rings were very good and looked homemade. I didn't feel I was particularly welcome at this restaurant. It wasn't all that busy, so I can only assume that is just the way the employee or owner's attitude is. Another thing. The burger and the onion rings were served separately on really small plates. It would have been nicer if the order had been placed on one larger plate so that when I ate my onion rings they didn't keep falling on the table. I ordered some pie for dessert--it was okay. This restaurant needs to clean up its act and give friendlier service.

1  Thank benjaminwolf