“Cures a Mexican Food Craving, but Nothing Exciting”

Mexicali Border Cafe
Ranked #70 of 1,356 Restaurants in Tulsa
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Mexicali has been around for a long time, and in my opinion, it's heyday has passed. My most recent visit was for lunch, and while I can't really complain about anything specific, I also can't think of anything to rave about. Food was OK, and the service acceptable but not noteworthy. There are many better options in this area of Tulsa.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Greasy chips, over done "deep friend" chile rellanos, tamales that were less than fresh, restrooms and furniture in need of repair. On the bright side salsa, rice, beans and service were good. Management needs to start paying attention. Customers want good food, good service and a clean fresh environment. Mexicali Border Cafe falls short in 2 of the 3 areas. A sad fact. I hope the owners care enough to make changes.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I stopped in for a meal before heading to the Cancer Sucks concert at the historic Cain's ballroom. Upon entering, we seemed to be a bother to the guy that showed us to the dining area. After being seated in the dining area, there were no TVs. We opted to eat at the bar so that we could watch the Oklahoma Sooners play OSU. There were quite a few magaritas on the menu, so I finally told the server to give me a basic frozen margarita. Between my wife and I, we had a two taco dinner, a two enchilada dinner, one ice tea, and a margarita that was a total of $29.54. The service was good, but the food did not stand out versus the numerous dining options available for Mexican food in Tulsa. The restaurant itself has a good atmosphere.

One thing to note for those that are gluten-intolerant, this isn't the place for you. I think that some of the ingredients used to prepare the food have wheat. Also, I think the chips have wheat in them.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Very good Tex-Mex dining in downtown Tulsa, Oklahoma. We stopped in before heading over to the BOK Center for a concert this past weekend and was very glad we did. I won't tell you it's as good as we get down in Texas on a regular basis. But it was bery good non the less. The chicken fajitas were pretty good, but what would bring us back were the margaritas. To my surprise, these were excellant. The 3G had to be one of the best I have ever had with a meal. It sort of set the tone for the rest of the day. I would recommend this place to anyone that's going to be in the downtown Tulsa area for an event.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

We recently held a wedding rehearsal dinner at Mexicali and it was a great experience. The food and service were very good, the staff couldn't have been better to work with, and the costs were very reasonable. The atmosphere at Mexicali is festive and fun. We'll definitely be back to dine on other occasions.