“Surprisingly good fish”
Review of Bodean Seafood

Bodean Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
Bodean Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 1,343 Restaurants in Tulsa
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Harvard Ave
Reviewed May 4, 2014

When my business colleagues suggested a seafood restaurant in Tulsa located in a strip center, I was skeptical. But, once you walk in and notice the customers and service, you knew this place paid attention to detail. The menu alerts you to the fact that fish are flown in twice a day. Of course, you are paying for this valuable airlift. Thanks goodness I wasn't picking up the tab.

I noticed a fairly decent wine list and good selection of seafood, especially the fish. We ordered a few appetizers (shrimp cocktail, salt and pepper calamari, and crab cakes) which were unimpressive. My beet salad had a little too much vinegar. But, I was extremely impressed with my Columbia River king salmon. One of the best I've ever tasted and cooked just right. Desserts were good, especially the citrus cheesecake.

Service was super attentive and well coordinated. Upon leaving, they gave us all a little box with a cinnamon muffin - nice touch.

1  Thank HotRod_88

Reviewed April 3, 2014

This was another place that was hiding among strip mall shops. Just goes to show never judge a book by its cover. The decor on the inside was beautiful with original art work. Food was fabulous. One doesn't think seafood and Tulsa, OK, but this is as fine of seafood as you would find on the coast. Waitress was very knowledgable about the menu & could make recommendations. I was intrigued by one dish black truffle risotto but disappointed that there was no seafood in it. I asked the waitress who recommended they could add scallops, which I did. Again, everyone enjoyed their meal. We also tried three desserts, but to be honest I was plenty full from the meal. I did try a small sampling of the dessert. You could not go wrong on any of them.

1  Thank Carol D
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Ok...the Yuck review really got to me. My husband and I were in town-previously lived in Tulsa moved to Dallas 18 years ago-let me first say that Bodean's was always our go-to for fish-eating in or shopping at the Fish Market.
Our dinner was great- service was the best, I believe our waiter was Jimmy and yes Bodean's does have ambiance. And HELLO NancyELM encrusted ahi tuna is meant to be served slightly cooked pink is perfect and the decorated swirls should have been eaten with the tuna. Perhaps Long John Silver's would be a better choice for your dining needs. Heaven help Florida and their fresh fish....I would put Bodean's fish equal to their seaside dining-you probably won't enjoy their fish because it won't taste fishy and isn't deep-fried.
I would return to Bodean's anytime that I am in town and enjoy their seasonal menu and great service

1  Thank dbee2014
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My wife and I were in Tulsa for a few days and wanted to eat somewhere special while we were there. Bodean Seafood ended up being a great choice! The restaurant doesn't look like much on the outside and it is right next to a fish market of the same name so I had my doubts. However, once entering inside, I was pleasantly surprised with a nice relaxed ambiance with only moderate noise levels.

The Food:
Appetizers
I have to admit that I've had better seafood at some other upscale restaurants but the food we had was definitely very good. I just can't quite rank it up there with the best seafood I've had. Although, it may be hard to say that since we've only been once and haven't tried everything on their menu. We started with an order of Shrimp and Lobster Bisque, Escargot, and Oysters Rockefeller. The bisque was very good but it lacked the extra ingredient to make it outstanding. The Oysters Rockefeller was delicious. My wife and I both enjoyed it. The Escargot was very good but, once again, it missed something to give it that extra pop.

Entrees
I ordered the special for the day which was Halibut served on rice covered in a pesto sauce. It was okay but a little dry for my taste. That may very well be my own fault because our waiter told us it "had a good flake" which I should've interpreted as being pretty dry. The flavor was good, though. My wife ordered the 10 oz. Lobster Tail and it was very good. It was not overcooked or anything and it was quite flavorful. I would definitely get it again. We both had a side of two scallops added to our meals. The scallops were very well seasoned but my first one was a little overcooked. However, the second one was cooked perfectly which it soft and very tasty.

Desserts
We ordered two Vanilla Creme Brulees and a scoop of Raspberry Sorbet. In my opinion, the creme brulee did not have the right texture. It felt more like flan or a hard custard than a creamy creme brulee. I really like creme brulee but I don't think I would order it again here. The raspberry sorbet was very good and had nice, light, and unique flavor.

The Service:
This is one area where Bodean Seafood really stood out to me. I am kind of a foodie and I've been to many restaurants and, more specifically, many upscale restaurants. The service I had here ranks near the top of all the restaurants I've dined at. Our waiter was exceptionally polite and respectful. Anytime he came by to refill water or clean off our table, he never interrupted our conversation or imposed on our experience. He was quick, quiet, and efficient which I really like. I wish I could remember his name. I think it was either Vince or Victor (leaning towards Vince). I would definitely ask for him again if we ever went back during his shift.

Also, to make the experience a little more special, I requested they put roses on our table for when we arrived. The surcharge for this was very reasonable in my opinion and they had no problem fulfilling the request. On top of that, they must have concluded that it was a special evening for us because, without request, they seated us at one of the more secluded semi-circle tables that provided a more intimate feel. Also, when they brought the desserts that we ordered, our server mentioned that it seemed like a special evening for us and said that the desserts would be on the house. Once again, I never told them anything other than requesting roses. They did all the rest. They made both of us feel very special and feel like we were really cared for.

In conclusion, the food was decent but usually not outstanding. However, the service they provided for us knocked the experience out of the park. We left the restaurant that night in very good spirits. It definitely has left an impression on me and I would feel fine recommending this restaurant just based on the service alone!

I do want to reiterate that the experience we had as far as the food goes is somewhat limited since we did not have the opportunity to try everything on their menu. There were many items that looked particularly enticing so I'd still like to go back and try some different things.

1  Thank Josh B
Reviewed March 25, 2014

All in all I had a very good day on my B-Day, almost. Don't go to Bodean Seafood Restaurant. YUCK! I was very very disappointed. Not anything like it use to be (from what I have seen & heard). I should have went yrs ago. I probably didn't because of price; and now it's probably twice as pricey for selections and portions that are very limited. The menu is very very limited and the portions are what you'd get for an appetizer. No lie. The service is quite good. If you like ambiance, that's good too. I could care less for ambiance. I just want good food at a good price. Don't even mind a little pricey as long as it's very good food. My sesame encrusted tuna was not done (in my opinion) showing lots of deep pink; and I had to send it back. It was half decent after cooked well. The noodle salad had things in it I had never heard of or tasted before. It was okay; but I'd never get it again. The sauces offered were in decorated swirls on my plate (cute) and so hot I gulped cold water to wash them down. One taste is all it took of those. My husband's 4 or 5 scallops were barely done (could have been cooked longer). His root vegetables were very good. The best part of the meal was their bread and butter. My husband liked his Guinness; but I disliked my sparkling wine. He also liked the cheesecake slice they sent home with us. I didn't taste it. Can't wait to go to FL and try their fresh seafood with most caught that day with the boat tied on to the dock outside the restaurant. YUM! YUM!

1  Thank NancyELM