“An Amazing Phenomenon !”

Center of the Universe
Ranked #10 of 114 things to do in Tulsa
Accra, Ghana
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“An Amazing Phenomenon !”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I visited The Center Of The Universe in downtown Tulsa as a bit of a sceptic as to what it actually did. I read that by standing on the marker near a railway bridge, all sorts of weird stuff happens with your voice.

Yeah sure thing……….or so I thought.

I failed science in high school (largely due to lack of commitment rather than ability), but I am not entirely sure what happens at this spot. Whatever it is, if you stand on the marker & talk, your voice sounds really bizarre, like you are talking into a microphone or something. However, to everyone else around, you sound completely normal. Bizarre !!!

I did find it a little hard to find, and while I had a car, it wasn’t showing up on my GPS. However, it’s on the continuation of Boston Ave in downtown Tulsa. If you park along Archer St, there is a pedestrian walk opposite the start of Boston Ave, and there is a “cloud” suspended in the air by a post nearby, which guides you in, and it’s also nearby the old Tulsa Union Depot building, which looks to be a nice piece of small old skool architecture. Visually, the "Center Of The Universe" just looks like a paved circle, so don't expect to be wowed in that regard.

Well done Tulsa – a landmark that is free & with an element of mystery to it. I think I spent a total of ten minutes there, so it’s also very quick to visit.

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Interesting.”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Just ran the Route 66 marathon and as part of it, took the detour to run through the "Center of the Universe." Interesting phenomena that occurs when standing in the center of the circle and you speak. Voice is amplified back at the speaker.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A hidden treasure”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stand in the circle and you hear your voice echo. Thats the center of the universe. Its free and its ontop of the pedestrian bridge over the train tracks. when you are tipsy its always fun!

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“This will blow your mind!”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

If you can explain it let me know how it is done. Stand in the middle and start talking be amazed on what you hear and don't hear. This is truly something you will only find in Tulsa Oklahoma.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Aaron151
Holyoke, Colorado
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Unbelievable!!”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My friend & I were excited to see if this really worked, and it does!! We were both amazed!! Do NOT (!) miss this if you visit Tulsa. We parked free on a side street, had to ask directions to it, once we got close because we couldn't see it from the street as several others said they could. Well worth the drive & walk to it! Beware, however, a guy tried (?) to scam us into thinking he was starving & hadn't eaten in days, asked for money, and when we hesitated, he even said "You can even take me to a restaurant!", but I pulled my gullible friend aside & we left, noticing that same guy met up with another friend who laughed that they almost (?) had us. NOT! We DID feel safe, however, and enjoyed this attraction tremendously!

Visited October 2013