“Great Bed but $12.95 per day for Internet Access???”

Renaissance Tulsa Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #33 of 108 Hotels in Tulsa
Paden, Oklahoma
“Great Bed but $12.95 per day for Internet Access???”
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I was shocked to realize that there are hotels that are charging for Internet access!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Oklahoma
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I brought my wife to Tulsa for a weekend birthday getaway -- and a surprise party. We stayed at the Renaissance. It was quiet the weekend we were there. We only saw a handful of other guests.

I selected the hotel because of its proximity to numerous, good restaurants and activities along the popular 71st Street corridor in Tulsa. I booked through American Airlines' website and got a better deal (room + breakfast) than I would have received from the hotel itself. Plus, I got the air miles from AA.

The Renaissance is a big, beautiful hotel with attractive amenities. In addition to a nice restaurant (where we ate breakfast only -- it was good), it has a large indoor pool (a little on the brisk side, I might add), a walk-in sauna (feels great after exiting the chilly pool), and a great little gym with an impressive selection of commercial cardio equipment. There are also a few weight machines and dumbbells. We utilized the facility once for an invigorating morning workout. There is also a well-stocked gift shop.

The atrium is the centerpiece of the hotel. The hotel has co-opted/co-promoted with the nearby Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks to display a variety of fish species and several turtles in a habitat that has been integrated into the hotel's winding water feature. It is very interesting and would be fun for kids to see.

We stayed in a room on the 7th floor on the west side of the hotel, which we regret. The traffic noise from the neighboring interstate (Hwy. 169) can get pretty loud. For that reason, I recommend requesting something on the east side of the hotel. The views won't be as good, but I am certain there is a big difference in noise levels. Fortunately for us, we travel with a Marpac white noice machine, which does a pretty good job at masking sound.

Our room was spacious with a large flat-screen TV and a nice soft king bed that my wife enjoyed. There was a slightly mold/musty smell in the vicinity of where the room carpet meets the bathroom floor. I have sensitive sinuses and it bothered me a little (you can open the windows a few inches here for fresh air if you need). I'm sure it was an isolated thing, but I wouldn't want to stay in the same room again.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the Renaissance. Just remember to request a room on the east side of the hotel or pack an effective white noise machine if you prefer peace and quiet while you sleep.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sun-N-Beach-Fun
Waalwijk, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 12, 2009

The Renaissance is easy to find, just off a major highway in South Tulsa. Person at frontdesk was not very friendly, probably because we booked through Priceline, but check in lasted only two minutes. Nice room with all the amenities you need, but be prepared to pay 12.95 ex tax per dag for wireless internet. Gym and pool are very nice, and the hotel is close to a variety of shops and restaurants. Would definately stay there again when in Tulsa.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I've stayed at this hotel twice and it was the same both times. We stayed in a room with a king bed and a roll-away. There is also a chair/ottoman, a desk with a chair, and dresser with drawers. We were with a group of about 15 families. We got a group rate and this year an extra room were we could gather to watch movies, socialize, etc. The hotel is very clean, the beds are comfortable, and the setting is very pleasant. The rooms are arranged around a courtyard (and there are 9 floors) so if people are being noisy in the lobby, you can hear it, but most of the time it is quiet. The lobby/courtyard has a fish/turtle pond. There is a gift shop, but it is not always open. There is optional valet parking and so usually there is someone outside to greet guests. The pool is indoors and sometimes the water is a bit cool. The kids had a great time swimming, though. It is true that the tile floors are slick. I've never eaten there, so can't comment about that. You can get free refrigerator and/or microwave upon request. The refrigerator I requested was delivered very quickly. The hotel is located behind Target and near many other stores, restaurants, etc. My only complaint is that they charge $12 per day for internet. Given the price of the hotel, I think internet should be free! Overall, it is a very nice hotel!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 8, 2009

I am a frequent traveler that stays all over the country and am a very loyal Renaissance/Marriott customer. I find that they offer a consistenscy of product and service that I have come to expect. After my stay here, I sent a letter to Marriott telling them how horrible my stay here was.

Upon arrival (literally having to drive through a seedy Target store parking lot) I didnt see ANYONE at the front door or even the front desk until I waited at least 15 minutes. Turns out they were busy doing something else but how can the front desk be unstaffed?

My room was adequate but surprisingly small. It also looks like it needs a renovation. The health club equipment was filthy and my bathroom wasn't cleaned during my two night stay.

As I said, there are a lot of options in Tulsa and as loyal as I am to renaissance, this is one in name only.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Belleville, Illinois
Reviewed May 5, 2009

I stayed at the Renaissance Tula Hotel after fleeing the Doubletree Warren Place. The hotel was nice, clean and the rooms were also nice & clean. More importantly the mattresses were new. Counter tops in room were granite along with the bath.

The only negative about the place was that they use fake plants as decorations. The fake plants were clean, but I'm not a fan of fake plants. For the price, this hotel was a much better deal than the Doubletree at Warren Place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Chicago
Reviewed March 31, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for approximately 6 months and I never had a problem. The rooms were always clean, the staff always attentive and willing to do whatever they can to help. The fitness center is average... a handful of bikes/treadmills/ellipticals, some weight machines and some free weights but it gets the job done for a business traveler. Room service can be slow when there is a convention in town (as is the case with most convention hotels), but I never felt like it was major issue. The concierge lounge is adequate and pretty standard for Marriotts. The hotel is not that old, and has the standard Marriott look to it. Overall it’s a great place to stay when in Tulsa if you have a car.

There are quite a few chain restaurants in the local area, but if you’re in the mood for something else… make a trip to some of Tulsa’s eateries over near Brookside or Utica Square. Believe it or not you can find some really good sushi there!

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business