“Our third (or fourth) stay, but probably our LAST”
Review of Quality Suites

Quality Suites
Ranked #80 of 109 Hotels in Tulsa
Reviewed January 23, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel two or three times prior to this visit, with no complaint. Not so this time. First I will say 1) location is very convenient and 2) the front desk staff were all very pleasant and helpful. My only "complaint" there was a minor inconvenience in that I had to stop two different people from charging my credit card for the second night because I had booked it with rewards points. No big deal.
What was a big deal was how run-down this property has become, even tho the price hasn't gone down. Perhaps it was just our room (doubt it) but it had frayed, dirty carpet (not even well vacuumed, found "snacks" from former guests), broken bathroom tiles, broken wood trim, multiple holes in loveseat upholstery. It was a non-smoking room, but the curtains reeked of old smoke. I would've asked for another room, but we got the last double room in the place. Beds were tolerable, not too hard or soft, but not necessarily comfy. Pillows were those half-size jobs - not fond of those. Several electrical outlets didn't work. What really blew my mind was that the fridge was plugged into a lightweight powerstrip (needed because there was no outlet the fridge cord could reach). The microwave on top of fridge wasn't plugged in - for a reason...the powerstrip couldn't handle the electrical load of both. It would flip the breaker after about 5 seconds. I had to physically pick up the micro and move it to another location in the room to use it. Same thing with the coffee pot. I'm pretty sure the electrical arrangement they had would not have passed a fire safety inspection. Kinda a head-scratcher as to why the hotel management would think this was acceptable.
Other than the half-hearted vacuuming job, everything else that the maid could clean seemed to be clean.
Free wireless internet was nice, a tad slow at times, but not too bad. The upper TV channels were clear, lower ones were very fuzzy, including the major broadcast channels - may not be something the hotel had any control over, don't know.
Breakfast was okay. Food was edible and it's hard to beat "free." Waffle iron wasn't working properly - my friend talked to manager and he said they've been waiting for response from wafflemaker company for two weeks, so I can't hold that against them. (My friend visited the wafflemaker's corporate website and strongly suggested they return the hotel's phone call) Our second night the hotel was full with middle/high school students and the breakfast room was too small to accommodate more than 5-6 people at a time, so it was a madhouse. They had pretty much run out of food by the time we got down there anyway, so no free breakfast for us on day two. But I would imagine that doesn't happen most of the time.
Bottom line...this property looks nice on the outside and in the lobby, friendly staff, nice amenities in the rooms. But until they upgrade the condition of the rooms themselves, we definitely won't stay here again. I'm not a picky person, but it really was pretty bad.. We've been loyal Choice Hotel guests for many years and this room certainly didn't live up to the standard we've come to expect, especially for the price paid. Very sad.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank nettermo
ChanceyRee, General Manager at Quality Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2010

I want to personally thank you for your review. We appreciate the fact that you have stayed with us in the past and have continued using us. I apologize for your last stay. We have since changed management and are making the necessary changes to exceed our guests expectations. Again, thank you for your feedback. We hope to see you in the future with better results.

Reviewed August 15, 2009

Upon arrival, there were signs the room was not as clean as it could be, and after more than just a few minutes we knew we could not stay there. We found cherry stems in various places, like the kind from a mixed drink, there suspicious looking stains on the sofa, sheets & walls. We complained at the front desk and a very rude manager on duty, gave us a refund. I will never set foot in a Quality Suites again.

I want to thank you for your feedback. I apologize that you had these issues. We are now under new management and executive staff. I have passed this review to my housekeeping and maintenance department heads.We strive for excellence and hope you will give us another chance. Again, thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed August 1, 2009

okay- we got a great rate for the night, but would have gone elsewhere if i had the energy to do so. we got a nonsmoking room and as we were walking to our room, noticed a thick cloud of smoke in the hallway. the room didn't have a smoky odor though. it was nice and roomy and comfortable, but after i started to unload the luggage, noticed gum on the door handle!! called the front desk and they immediately came and cleaned it. was noisy in the halls because of some young girls who were up way too late, but the room itself was quiet. my son had 'growing pains' in his legs and we walked the halls some- no one bothered us and we felt comfortable doing so. staff very nice and courteous. they did have a great breakfast... but would not stay again because of the smokiness of the building.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

I want to personally thank you for your review. I do apologize for the issues you had. Thank you for your feedback. We now have a new management team and we are using these reviews to better our property. We hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed April 30, 2009

On a recent vacation with my wife and two small children (ages 15 mos and 3 years), we chose the Quality Suites based on price, location to some things we wanted to do in Tulsa and the fact that the hotel had an indoor pool for the kids. Upon arrival, my first impression of the hotel staff was not a good one - the front desk manager could barely tear her eyes away from a big screen TV that was mounted on the upper story balcony facing the front desk. I guess watching "Judge Mathis" was just more entertaining than doing her job. She never made eye contact with me, only kept watching the TV over my shoulder! Later, when I took the kids to the pool, it was WAY too cold for young kids and so over-chlorinated it made our eyes water. Later that evening, when my wife decided to give the kids a bath, she found mold in the tub and decided that they could just go dirty for that night! Finally, despite all rooms being designated as non-smoking rooms, the hotel smelled of old cigarette smoke and our comforter on the bed had a cigarette burn on it. When we checked out the next day, my wife spoke with the same front desk manager from the day before and told her about the mold in the tub - she actually rolled her eyes at my wife. Wow - we won't be going there again. There are several other hotels in the immediate area that we will try instead. It is a good location for travelers as there are several good restaurants close by. If I had one thing to offer the management of the Quality Suites is that they need to get some adult supervision that cares about the business in that hotel and to remove the front desk TV immediately!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family

I want to personally thank you for your review. Your feedback is vital for us to improve our property. I apologize for the issues you encountered. We have made some personnel changes as our executive staff is brand new. We are not a 100% non-smoking hotel, but we do take great measures to make sure our non-smoking guests do not suffer. We do hope to see you in the future with better results. Again, thank you so much!

Reviewed April 7, 2009

We were on our way to Oregon and got tired and chose Quality Suites What a great decision. The staff was above and beyond helpful. Our room was clean and very comfortable. When we arrived the Manager was on duty and helped us locate not only a great place to eat dinner (Five and Diner), but our room had an exterior door and she went down and opened the exterior door so we wouldnt have to walk all the way down and then go move our car Breakfast was hot and fresh the pool area was so nice even the other guests that we encountered there were so excited by it also. All in all we couldnt have picked a better place if we tried.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We love to hear from our guests, especially when it is so positive. Again, thank you so much!

Reviewed March 31, 2009

Spacious room with comfortable bed. Nice pool/hot tub area, although a bit small for this size hotel. Breakfast included hot items, and a very nice variety. But if you're looking for more, a Cracker Barrel restaurant is within walking distance. Desk clerk was friendly and helpful. We had a non-smoking room which was fine, but there was a powerful smoking smell in the hallway closest to the front desk. I was also disappointed that it looked as though our sheets had not been changed from the previous guest, as there were black hairs on our sheets. Also, the bathtub did not look clean.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is vital for us to improve our property. I have passed along your review to my housekeeping manager so we will not have these issues again. We are under new management and executive staff and will provide quality service. Again, thank you so much!

Reviewed November 11, 2008

We went through the choice hotels website which showed non-smoking suites available. We requested non-smoking. When we arrived at 11 pm we were told they were sold out of non-smoking. The room we got smelled of stale smoke. Not pleasant.
The parking situation is very cramped, we had to park across the street in a business lot.
On a positive note, the hot breakfast was above average. Many choices including waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple