“Great staff, poor facilties”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tulsa
Ranked #62 of 109 Hotels in Tulsa
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Hotel is near the Tulsa airport, just off 244. On arrival we noted that the lobby area was attractive and the clerk was pleasant. Room 214, upstairs. Along the corridor I noticed the carpet had not been vacuumed in some time and remained that way during our 4 day stay. Room was nicely furnished but the mini-fridge was not functioning (noted to the clerk within minutes of our arrival). Clerk stated she would make note of it to maintenance. Breakfast area is small and a limited variety of items. First morning (7:30 AM) no coffee, no milk for cereal (wife found a container in the storage room fridge), no orange juice. After our day out we returned around 4 pm and mini fridge still not working. Contacted Chad at front desk, within minutes he brought up a working fridge (stated it was already cold) and installed for us. He said the owner does the maintenance but was not there. Second morning (7:45 AM), no milk at breakfast, could not find any in the storage room, one coffee pot empty. No plastic knives for waffle's or toast spreading(again searched store room and cabinets and found a package and I replenished the knives). Returned to shower before going out for the day. Shower head connection was put on wrong and water sprayed back out onto the wall, apparently had been doing this for some time as the paint had peeled off due to water. Water flowed down the wall behind the shower and out of on the floor. We returned in the afternoon, checked the mini fridge where we had placed soda before we left and found that it was TOO cold, froze the cans causing one to explode all over the inside of the fridge. We contacted a housekeeper, got a few rags and cleaned up the mess.
Only one individual manning the desk and trying to keep the breakfast area stocked, which led to a lack of items being either replenished or stocked for replenishing in the first place. The staff was very helpful (Thanks Chad) but the facilities are not well maintained. My wife and I would not return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1034Country, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tulsa, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete Tripadvisor Review.

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed the issue with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Needed a last minute park/sleep/fly and they fit the requirements. Clean room, comfortable bed, but what made the place was the morning desk clerk/shuttle driver, Jason. An exceptional nice person who knew customer service! If he could have been more accommodating I wouldn't know how. He took our bags from the room to the shuttle, made sure we'd had some breakfast, and got us to the airport on time all with the most pleasant attitude I've seen in a long time. The return to the hotel was a whole other story. We phoned for the shuttle after we collected our bags, I was told "I" had misinformed them about our return time (not only had I told them the wrong time ,but I'd also told them the wrong airline I was returning on... I don't think so). Soooo, the shuttle took 30 minutes to show, and was driven by some guy with a horrible attitude. I'll probably try to find a different spot to stay next time, but I will miss Jason's attentiveness.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank champs1956

Thank you for taking the time to complete Tripadvisor review.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Everyone at HQ told me there are no "decent hotels" in NE Tulsa (close to our branch office at Admiral and 169). So I found this place, for $69 per night that was two miles away. Be aware, this hotel is in a fringe location. Next door is a flop house of a hotel, and everywhere within a few miles looks like either a hotel for truckers or hookers. But Country Inn is a respite in this desert of filth. Newly remodeled, two story, rooms were fine. My refrigerator didn't work. They replaced it while I was gone for the day. Now, within two miles is the Rib Crib restaurant. Within one minute is a giant QT store, so you've got food and gas and about whatever else you need.
BTW, when my fridge was out, the staff at Country Inn offered to place my leftover ribs and wings in their kitchen fridge for the day until I got back. Also, free breakfast, coffee, USA Today, etc. I'll stay again and recommend to my work friends, who have been staying in the overhyped 171st St. area and probably paying twice as much.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank peabodytex
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I checked out of the hotel on Tues, April 15th and I did not notice my tablet, a black Microsoft Surface RT with black type cover, was missing until I arrived at my next location. I immediately called the hotel and tried to speak to the manager, who was unavailable, less than 24 hrs after I checked out. It took him 2 hours to call me back. In the meantime, I spoke to the corporate customer service who told me I had to directly contact the local management who "did not keep a set schedule". While I was out of service zone, he called and left a voicemail, and I responded after returning to cell phone service. He said that he and his staff had tore the hotel apart and did not find my tablet. He urged me to double check my belongings. And I did. I knew exactly where I had last places my tablet, on top of the microwave in the cabinet in my hotel room, and yet they couldn't find it. I filed a police report, and noticed the management that I would be back in Tulsa on Friday. Friday afternoon, 20 minutes before I arrived, they rented the room I stayed in to someone else, so I was therefore denied from searching the room myself. The manager/owner of the hotel stands behind each one of his employees have worked with him for "over 5 years". But, if the room hadn't been rented out, and everyone had checked the room, and various parts of the hotel, where is my tablet? It should still be on top of the microwave in the cupboard. And if it's not, there must be some other explanation.

While the rooms were nice, there were stains in the carpet, and the decor was outdated.

The only saving grace was Brenda, the evening desk clerk. She was a sweetheart. And when my office chair was broken (the last place I was using my tablet on the desk!) she replaced it quickly.

There are many other hotels in Tulsa. I would STRONGLY recommend staying somewhere else. Unless you want things missing, or an owner/manager who isn't geared towards customer service.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Hilinai137
CarlsonRezidor, Carlson at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tulsa, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Reviewed March 27, 2014

I read all the reviews (some good, some bad)for this hotel before booking. I wasn't expecting a world class hotel, but was very pleased with this choice. The hotel was convenient to the airport--just a couple miles away and easy to find. The hotel itself was very clean and cozy feeling with every staff person we met very friendly. The breakfast was terrific and saved time and money. Our bathtub faucet dripped, but didn't bother us. The only thing to be aware of is that the hotel doesn't have an elevator so we had to lug our suitcases up and down the staircase. I'm sure we could have requested a first floor room if it had been a problem. I would definitely stay here again when I'm in the area.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem, request a first floor room--no elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Hey, you get what you pay for. I actually got more than I bargained for. It was nice, clean, close to all I needed and the staff were fabulous, even with all my silly little requests for anything from more coffee, combs for my daughter, a safety pin and wine bottle openers. Breakfast was nice, and included in the price. I actually looks at the reviews from people who whinge about this motel and wonder why you would expect super star treatment on a 5 star scale, but don't go else where, pay the mega bucks to be treated like second class citizens and Aruba shoulders with snobs!!! I thoroughly enjoyed the establishment, the staff and the interactions. Yeah, some minor things if you look hard you can moan about, but I felt safe and warm and welcomed here, that's my main concerns answered, thank you Country Inn and Suites!!! I will be back.

Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank dessertpratt
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Needs renovation bad. Black mold on the wall above the shower. Back door of hotel was not locked at night.
Clerk put us in the middle room on the second floor - furthest possible room from the parking lot. Requested non-feather pillows once checked in (nite clerk said he didn't have a key to housekeeping). Clerk advised he would fix it after 8 am. I slept without a pillow all 3 nites.
Not impressed at all. Will not return.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1034Country, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tulsa, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete TripAdvisor Review.

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed the issues with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

918234-3535