“A Dump” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Norton, Kansas
“A Dump”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

This dirty little restaurant proudly proclaims that it's been in business since 1926. No doubt that's the last time it was cleaned. You can order from the menu or go through the buffet. When I went through the food server scooped up fried okra with his bare hands. Later I saw him at the cash register and when he was done back on the food service line.

In a way it was helpful that I could see all of the goings on at the buffet. Lord only knows what they do back in the kitchen out of sight of the public.

The staff was friendly and did a fair job of serving. If one overlooks the uncleanliness then the food is passable but nothing to write home about.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Skiatook, Oklahoma
“Best Chicken Fried Steak in Town. Period.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Nelson's Ranch House is an easy three minute drive for me to grab lunch at during my work day.

Simply put: THIS is how you do chicken fried steak. Ample meat (cubed steak), tasty breading, and your choice of either cream gravy (very good) or brown gravy (my favorite). I don't care for their mashed potatoes, although many people do; I'm just not a big mashed 'taters guy. What I DO try to get is their macaroni and cheese. Again, I'm NOT a mac and cheese guy, but I *AM* a Nelson's mac-and-cheese guy! It's that good. I contend that you cannot find better mac and cheese in Tulsa.

They do have daily specials, which are fairly consistent. On Thursdays I like to go when they're serving baked chicken and dressing. The chicken is okay, but I'll usually opt for a pan fried steak (actually a bit of a misleading name: it's the cubed steak used for chicken fried, without the breading, and is served with a sort of warm au jus; very tasty nonetheless) and ask for a helping of dressing. Their dressing is life-changingly delicious. I could make a meal of it.

Other side notes: their baked beans are very good. Sometimes they're a bit too sweet for my tastes, but it's an indication that they make this food from scratch.

Their tabouli is very good, and if you're wanting to lighten up the lunch a bit, is a good choice to go with.

Their chicken fried chicken is very good too. Order some, with brown gravy, and add just a dash of Louisiana Hot Sauce. Delicious.

One of their buffet items is called a Nellie Burger. The best way I can describe it is "meatloaf-like". It's good, but not one of my favorites. Lots of people like it, though.

Nelson's DOES have a menu. My friend, Dennis, claims their burgers and onion rings are top notch. I've not had either, but I've seen them and they do look delicious.

Nelson's also serves breakfast. My usual choices are either two eggs, hashbrowns and bacon, or a short stack breakfast (eggs and bacon). Both are wonderful selections. They also serve a chicken fried steak and eggs breakfast too, but wow, that sounds so heavy to me, so early in the morning, that I've not braved ordering this. Their coffee is good, too.

Their pies can be hit and miss. Sometimes it seems like the pies have sat for a bit too long and while still very tasty, the crusts tend to get soggy. Trust me though; as stuffed as you're liable to be after you've eaten your lunch, you're gonna be miserable if you go for a slice of pie. Although, admittedly, I do splurge from time to time....

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Muenster, Texas
“Good Food Cheap prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I had breakfast here twice while we were in Tulsa last week Excellent food excellent service the owner was nice and staff were on there toes great coffee to And they are OPEN so go on down and have some good home cooking Thanks Larkin

• Visited April 2013
Eden, Utah
“Buffeteria Reborn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Come on chicken fried! Simply the best chicken fried steak to be found, but then if you've lived in Tulsa for more than a week, you ought to already know this. The atmosphere is spartan and very old-school diner, but the food is quintissential comfort home-cooking fare. Be sure to get the Mac n Cheese.

Visited March 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Hello Chicken Fry!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nelson's is a classic old-school restaurant that has one of the best chicken fried steaks around. They do it the traditional way with a cream pepper gravy (not with sausage in it - save that for breakfast!). I am sure the other menu items are good, but when I'm in Tulsa, I'm getting the chicken fried steak every time. The restaurant doesn't look very impressive inside or out, it is a bit shabby, but the food and great staff are what it's about and the restaurant has character.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Nelson's Ranch House? Share your experiences!