“Good Food Cheap prices”

Nelson's Ranch House
Ranked #601 of 1,382 Restaurants in Tulsa
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I had breakfast here twice while we were in Tulsa last week Excellent food excellent service the owner was nice and staff were on there toes great coffee to And they are OPEN so go on down and have some good home cooking Thanks Larkin

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Come on chicken fried! Simply the best chicken fried steak to be found, but then if you've lived in Tulsa for more than a week, you ought to already know this. The atmosphere is spartan and very old-school diner, but the food is quintissential comfort home-cooking fare. Be sure to get the Mac n Cheese.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nelson's is a classic old-school restaurant that has one of the best chicken fried steaks around. They do it the traditional way with a cream pepper gravy (not with sausage in it - save that for breakfast!). I am sure the other menu items are good, but when I'm in Tulsa, I'm getting the chicken fried steak every time. The restaurant doesn't look very impressive inside or out, it is a bit shabby, but the food and great staff are what it's about and the restaurant has character.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

I visited Tulsa for an "all class reunion" for the old Holy Family High School and decided to vist some restaurants that I enjoyed before I moved away n 1962 . . . Yes! 60 years ago.

The old Nelson's Buffeteria on South Boston was long gone but the original owner's grandson has opened Nelson's Ranch House on E. 3rd Street and claimed to be using his grandfather's old recipes. He was! Nelson's is located in a safe part of Tulsa that has seen better days. Nothing fancy, inside or out, but clean and great food.

I had a chicken friend steak and it was like I remembered from 60+ years ago. Nelson's 'Tulsa style' chicken fried steak is special. First he takes a large thin beaten steak; drips it in batter like you would use to fry chicken; DEEP FRIES IT like you would fry chicken; serves on a large plate where they have poured a large scoop of cream gravy; and then they put cream gravy on top of the steak too. All this served with your choice of mashed potato, string beans, mac and cheese, okra, carrots, or some other home cooked veggie. Heaven on earth! Deserts are large and excellent. The home-made pies are a special treat.

Open for breakfast and lunch from 7:00 am until 2:00 pm Monday thru Saturday. Plenty of parking. Service is quick and friendly.

A "must visit" the next time I'm back in Tulsa.

Try it! You'll love it!

Reviewed November 13, 2011

My husband treated me to this restaurant. It looked like something from Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Unique, family owned with amazing food. They tout world famous chicken fried steak and they aren't kidding...the best I have ever tasted. The chicken gravy was out of this world as well. It's quite heavy so I wouldn't eat it every day but thereasonable prices with generous portions makes it a nice treat. Although I didn't have any, the homemade pie looked divine. Staff was great and entertaining.

Been to Nelson's Ranch House? Share your experiences!