“Don't expect to eat breakfast.”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tulsa South/Bixby
Ranked #56 of 108 Hotels in Tulsa
“Don't expect to eat breakfast.”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

After reading other reviews I can't believe Shannon(breakfast lady) still has a job. Her customer service is the worst I have ever encountered. Two days in a row breakfast was out by 9am. I was told at checkin that breakfast is served until 10am. The first day I asked Shannon to restock the buffet, and she brought out a little. The second day she refused to bring any more food out. She told us 9:30 is when she picks the food up. There were about 20 other people eating still. My girls had to split an egg because it was the only source of protein left. There wasn't enough cereal for one bowl. I complained to the desk and she said there was nothing she could do. I was treated like I owe them something. I guess my expectations were too high for a holiday inn. Will stay at the fairfield around the corner next year. My husband took pictures of the buffet at 9:30 am. I'll post them.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Jill7879
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tulsa South/Bixby, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear Jill7879,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I'm glad to know that you liked our location and rooms. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the unacceptable service you experienced during breakfast. I will make sure that your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate departments and be reviewed. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Irish V.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Checked in on time and was told the room I had requested was not available. I had asked to be on the top floor away from the elevator. The hotel put me on the first floor right next to the stairs. The first night we called the front desk because the noise above us was so bad my 5 year old could not sleep. Afer about 15 minutes and no improvement I got dressed and went to the front counter. THe associate named Shannon said she could not ask the guest above us to keep their small children quiet. I asked her to have her general manager call me during my stay and this did not happen. The next day I was told by the associate at the desk that my room would be comped dor one night and that did not happen. The place is new and looks good, just of Memorial. Good location but the sevice is not worth the stay. THe breakfast room was filthy, and the associate in charge of the breakfast did not refill anything, coffee was even empty. I took pictures of the floor, I will try to upload, filthy! Definitly would not stay here again.

Room Tip: I made a request and it did not help, would suggest top floor away from elevator.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bigred1972
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tulsa South/Bixby, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear bigred1972,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This HIE is perfectly placed off the South Memorial Drive, for all shopping, and a large movie theater is opposite. There are numerous eateries along the street. A few blocks away is the Woodlands Hill Mall. It is very quiet so external noise is not a problem.

We stayed for five nights, and the staff were as expected, friendly and helpful, but I do believe the need a little motivation to get more done, and be on top of their particular choice of work. The maid service that clean the rooms, I understand will never be highly paid, and their enthusiasm wains as the day progresses, with more and more customers stay. Our room was completely overlooked on one occasion, on other days either towels or soap or shampoo was forgotten, thus a call to the front desk was required. The room itself, was fine, modern, and fairly well equipped. The carpet was never fully vacuumed, for example around the table or under the beds. I do wish that all hotels would use larger waste bins, after all, pizza boxes never fit the bin, and usually drops contents to the floor.

The breakfast was as one might expect, never the most impressive or tasty, but we ate there daily usually on cereals and coffee.

There is a pool, and the kids will like it, it's fairly small, and does have a sun lounge outside. The fitness room is basic, equipment was fairly new, and I never saw anyone use it surprisingly.

One major criticism was the energy saving thermostat in the room, as it operates on movement. Clearly, if you leave the room, it turns off, or if you are a sound sleeper unlikely to move, it turns off. This was a major issue for my wife.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BHEBfoodie
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tulsa South/Bixby, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear BHEBfoodie,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I appreciate the kind words about our staff and I am pleased that you liked your room as well as the convenient location of our hotel. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced due to our motion sensor thermostat. We try our best to ensure all guests have a great stay and undisturbed sleep. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Lera M
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I would just like to say thank you to the management here and the front desk people. These people have been so kind. Right when we got here our one year old daughter got ahold of a pen and wrote on a bench. We tried our best to clean it and got it looking better. We were really worried we would have to pay for the bench but they worked with us and where only going to charge us $50. But the manager came to the room personally and looked at it. He told us we had nothing to worry about! We had done a great job cleaning it and that we would not be charged. He made the rest of our stay more relaxed because we had nothing to worry about. Also people have reviewed that the rooms aren't cold enough...well that's just not the case with our family. It is cold in our room. Very cold! I was worried about coming here and not having a cold room because of reviews and I even brought a fan from home. But there is no need for our fan. We love this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed August 11, 2012

New, updated, contemporary with dark espresso furniture, green/beige/white decor. Very nice in appearance and clean enough we felt comfortable walking barefoot or letting the children lay on floor to color. Bathroom has very large shower head and a contemporary sink that was about 4' off ground, no joke. Not counter, just sink. Beds in our room were queen, tall, standing approximately 3' off floor, large headboards and comfortable. Fridge, microwave, coffee maker, blow dryer and Internet access. Room stayed dark however thermostats are locked on energy saver. Pool, whirlpool, laundry room and fitness center offered and they were nice. Nice safe neighborhood, minutes away from shopping and dining and a theater across the street. Very quiet, no road noise. I can stay just about anywhere but I'm a stickler for customer service, after all, that's why we pay $80 plus a night, for someone to take care of us. That being said, we had housekeeping trouble too. Our towels were taken but not replaced, wash cloths replaced but laid on counter for me to fold and put away. Shampoo and conditioner did not get replenished and shower, floors and tables were left untouched as well. I had to get all the items and put then away and dealt with our dirty room ourselves. In the morning, Breakfast is served, however though the breakfast lady was nice, she lacked common sense and desire to do her job in my opinion. she was very very slow, kept leaving and not returning and looked like she had just crawled out of bed with bed head. Biscuits, no gravy. ( her response...we don't offer that.). We always stay at HIE, and yes they do. fruit basket no fruit and every single table was dirty. Greasy hand prints, biscuit crumbs and all. We cleaned our own table, sent her off to bring back out the fruit basket and milk and someone else also asked for gravy with no response. There had been sugar spilled all over one counter and she would simply walk by and look away. Trash was overflowing. When we finally spoke to the front desk about our concerns, they directly went to this girl, sent her over to us and she asked "was there something you needed?". To me, that was unprofessional, a manager should have pointed and told her to take care of her dining room without confronting us. Having helped manage a business myself, I would have had a nice chat with housekeeping and breakfast chic about what they get paid for and what we customers are paying for. They are there to care for us, not us fend for ourselves. Kinda have mixed feelings about this place. I think if they can train their staff better and hire those that desire to take care of others, I would have given this an excellent rating, but if I wanted this, I would have stayed home. so if you don't mind taking care of yourself, then it is a nice place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SmallTownKs
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had three couples from out of town stay here for the weekend. We had an initial glitch with the reservations, but once I finally was able to speak with the manager, the issue was quickly resolved.
The rooms are clean, a nice size, and in a good location for south Tulsa. But there is a MAJOR problem. The thermostat has an energy saving sensor connected to it. So, if there is no movement in the room, the thermostat shuts down the Air conditioner. Now this isn't a problem when you are gone from the room. BUT it is a problem during the night. Unless you get up every hour or so, the A/C shuts down and the room becomes very warm. I am all about energy conservation, but part of the reason you pay for a room is to have it at a comfort level that allows a good night sleep. Not so at the Holiday Inn Express in Bixby.
We won't be having anyone else spend the night when they come for a visit at this Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank edpaytontulsa
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tulsa South/Bixby, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear edpaytontulsa,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We appreciate your wonderful comment regarding cleanliness and location of our hotel.

However, I would like to offer a sincere apology regarding the motion activated air conditioning. I understand the discomfort this caused you. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Ardmore, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I found the place to be nice, quiet, and well taken care of. The breakfast was of average quality. The cinnamon rolls were barely warm and hard. The eggs were okay. In the bathroom on the towel rack was a card that said if you put your towels back on the rack they will not replace them in order to save the environment, I like that. Unfortunately they replaced them anyway along with the shampoo I only used once. I hate it when they do that it is a waste of resources. The hotel is not next to any major road so it was very quiet. Do not use a GPS to try to find it. The address listed took to a residential area. I had to call the hotel and ask for directions.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business