“What a Gem”

Ranked #14 of 108 Hotels in Tulsa
Houston, TX
“What a Gem”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was such a surprising gem of a place. I will definitely stay here again (and I want to!).

I checked in somewhat late and although the woman working the front desk was busy doing a lot of things at once (another person was ahead of me and she had someone on the phone with a lot of questions), she promptly, professionally and calmly handled it all. I was very impressed with her skills. If I had been her, with so much coming at me at once, I would have been frazzled. But this young lady was not. Clearly, she's a pro.

I checked in quickly and was pleased to see the well appointed lobby and 24 hour Starbucks in the lobby. When you first arrive, the lobby may appear deceptively small, but when you venture into it, you see that it is actually quite large (there is a "hidden" area kind of behind the front desk). As you go into the lobby, you will see that it actually wraps around to a larger space. The decor is very nice and comfortable. There are plenty of places for you to sit down with your laptop, lounge and watch television. Located in a little nook of the lobby is a business center where you can print out your airport documents.

After checking in, I went up to my room and was surprised at how large it was. It was a fantastic size! The hotel is older, but everything appears to be renovated and my room was exceptionally clean. I am quite picky and the last hotel I stayed in, it took the hotel 3 rooms for them to get it right (I refused the first two after I inspected them). But that was not the case here. The first room was great and I settled in quickly. I called down to get extra towels right away and they were delivered promptly by a pleasant staff person.

In the morning, my check out was quick. I had a quick breakfast in the hotel (which was good) and of course, a cup of coffee from Starbucks. The hotel's Starbucks and bistro is all one location and there are some nice dining tables and places to sit in the bistro and the lobby. I took a seat at one of the tables and my breakfast was brought to me quickly.

Throughout my stay, I was greeted by several nice staff members from the hotel and they were all quick to see if they could do anything for me. This was one of those hotels where people seemed to proactively see if they could help you. For instance, I did actually decide to walk down to get some more lotion (they have great Lemon Zest body wash and lotion!) and when I asked the young woman for the lotion, she listed some other items she had to see if I might need those too. And it turns out I did!

Again, great stay. I hope to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Conway, AR
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Service is 5-star! Joe was really helpful anytime I needed anything and most of the valet attendants are extremely courteous. Only dislike was the lack of self parking but thats a function of the historic downtown location and doesn't influence my high opinion of this establishment. The only downside was the lack of a pool and room service.

1 Thank William B
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Just recently stayed two nights for a meeting and reunion and was very satisfied. It was a little tricky to find, especially with street closures in place for the Tulsa Run, but the valet service was quick and friendly and check-in was smooth. The owners did a great job renovating this historic building and it's a really nice hotel - I meant to check out the 7th floor but forgot to do so. I really liked the fitness center - the cardio equipment had individual TVs, there was other equipment like medicine balls and hand weights, and even free bottled water available. A pool would have been a nice feature, but obviously there are limitations when renovating a historic structure. The room and bathroom were very spacious and there were plenty of electrical outlets - something that's been lacking in other places I've stayed recently. The only minor issues were the fact that the TV was on the wall perpendicular to the beds because of the layout of the room, making it hard to view while laying in bed, and there were no drink machines on the guest floors so one has to go to the market in the lobby. Neither of those was a huge deal though. Valet parking was only $5 for the weekend with in-and-out privileges, so that was a great deal. All of the staff were really friendly and I'd highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank CosmoVA
Elgin, Illinois, United States
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The service was excellent, as well as the conference rate for our association. The staff was very courteous and attentive from valet parking to a very clean and recently renovated room. The hotel desk in on the second floor, but the first floor elevators are well-marked with instructions. The desk is small, but we had no no lines. I used the small fitness center, but the equipment was all new, towels and water bottles and headphones are already located on the machines. Maintenance came through to clean and sanitize the machines. Wi-Fi was free and no hassle.

Room Tip: In this particular case, our association made conference reservations a year in advance. Typical of...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris M
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The location and the building were great. I really loved the room and the view. We had a few issues, but the hotel's management quickly made them right. While the breakfast was simple, what they had was good. The gym solidly descent. Also, the hotel provides free Internet access throughout the facility. I don't know if I will ever go back to Tulsa, but if I do, I would consider the Courtyard again. I was a little disappointed that they didn't seem to honor the listed commitment to the environment: they changed out our hung towels, which was done contrary to the signage in the room.

Room Tip: choose a high room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ExpressGM74012, General Manager at Courtyard Tulsa Downtown, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on our hotel. We continually strive to improve service & exceed our guest’s expectation. After reading you comments I meet with my Executive Housekeeper do discuss it. We decided to translated your feedback so we could pass it on to the hourly staff, letting know how important it is these day to our guests & to us as a responsible company to be eco-friendly. It makes a huge difference when our staff gets direct feedback from guests, so thank you again for taking the time let us know how we are doing.
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Joe at the front desk was very attentive, prompt and accommodating while checking me in. The room was clean. The historic building is beautiful. All the way down till the Valet guy gave me great suggestions on where to eat or where to grab a drink in the area.

Room Tip: Double Queen Room with Downtown View.
2 Thank Andy P
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful help and perfect place to host a small convention. Staff was really helpful and Johnny on the spot. I loved the atmosphere and the quality of the rooms and the historical factor of the premises. Thanks again for sharing your small piece of Tulsa history!! Thank you also for sharing the shuttle bus for our excursions.

Room Tip: Check out the historical 7th floor with the original marble and doors.
3 Thank June T