“LOVED it!”

Prossimo Ristorante
Ranked #263 of 1,584 Restaurants in Tulsa
Description: Amazing hand crafted Italian food.
Description: Amazing hand crafted Italian food.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I went with another couple on a Saturday evening and had reservations for 6:30. We were seated immediately and given time to chat before our server came by for our drink orders. They have a house sommilier who made some great wine recommendations and then we started trying to narrow down our food choices.

We went with the steamed mussels and home made mozzarella (made table side) for appetizers and then we choose Fettuccine Alfredo (made table side), Orecchiette with Italian sausage and spinach, spaghetti with Sunday sauce and pork chop Marsala as our entrees.

The food did not disappoint in any way! Everything was delicious and beautifully presented. The home made bread was fantastic and served us quite well since everything had such flavorful sauces that just begged to have bread dipped in. The table side Mozzarella and Fettuccine was fun to watch as well as very educational.

The service was impeccible, the restaurant has a very elegant, romantic atmosphere and conversation across the table was easy. Out of the four entrees, the Orecchiette dish was voted the best due to the buttery, garlicky flavored sauce and just the right amount of spiciness from the sausage. There was nothing we wouldn't order again.

The menu changes frequently so the menus you see on-line might be outdated by the time you visit. Will definitely be returning, even if just for a glass of wine and some heavenly appetizers!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (28)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife had eaten here a week or so ago and said it was very good. She and I made reservations and went with positive expectations. The problems began with the presentation of the wine. Either our waiter had never done this or he's a slow learner (the wine itself was good, however). We had a caeser salad which was sub-par. This was followed by the tableside preparation of fettucine parmesan by a different waiter. He arrived at our table and began the preparation without a greeting or word of explanation. We engaged him in coversation and received a series of one word answers for our trouble. The fettucine had a pleasant flavor but the pasta was room temperature at the time of serving and therefore unappealing. For our main course my wife got the Halibut and it was severely overcooked. I got the veal chop parmegianna and it was good but should have been served warmer. In short, food was sub-par, service was poor (forgot to mention two eye-rolls from our waiter). It will be a long while before we try this one again. Too many other good choices in Tulsa for Italian.

Reviewed January 5, 2020

Great Atmosphere, Nice leather benches, small tables, nice Art Deco inspired Silverware and Glasses.
Arriving and barely seated, we are asked our drink choices. Waiter did not explain that there was a set menu option for the night. Not asked if we want tap or bottle water (our normal preference). Are served tap with ice. We ask for some time, and are advised that bread is on its way.
We order 2 appetizers, mussels and table side mozzarella. The mozzarella maker arrives, makes my fresh mozzarella and plates it. We still wait for the mussels and bread. Mussels arrive a small eternity later, and then, when we ask for bread, we finally get that also and can start our appetizers. Bad timing, not being able to plan the mussels and have the mozzarella maker table side when mussels arrive.
Slightly after the appetizers then have arrived we finally get the bread (nice have w cheese and to dip in the wine broth from the mussels).
Entrees were Veal parmigiano and Pappardelle with Bolognese. Veal is a very delicate meat and drowning it in a thick lather of molten cheese is an insult (tasty, but still)
The Bolognese sauce was amazing, made us cry for our days in Italy. The fact that the pasta was hard and sticky told us that they had been sitting around for too long before plated with the sauce.
At the end we were offered 2 options for dessert, no espresso or coffee available. When asking for the list of digestives, which was mentioned on the main menu, we were given the main menu again.

In essence: They place is lovely, the ambience is great, the food has the potential to be beyond great, but coordination between kitchen and staff and training of staff is an insult for what the place could be.
We will be back for another visit, if only to eat more Bolognese (and perhaps to see if the veal is changed to a piccata?)

Reviewed January 5, 2020

This is a new restaurant on popular Cherry Street. We made reservations that day and our table was ready when we arrived. They were very busy.
The menu is limited. The portions are not huge but more than adequate and had a good taste. The service was good and the atmosphere was excellent. The food was a good. We will try it again hoping they have a chance to improve. The menu is not allergy friendly. There is no indication of any of the common allergies in the menu items.

Reviewed January 3, 2020

We ate here 11/22/19 for a late lunch. At 1:15 it kind felt like were just ready to be closed for lunch to prepare or dinner. The initial person that sat us friendly, & in general so was our waitress, but she seemed to be focused her phone rather than us or the food that was prepared.

We started out with the Calamari, as we both like Calamari & me in particular like to order & compare it to other restaurants. As mentioned early about the waitress & or kitchen staff, when the plate was brought out & we took our first bite of the dish the food was cool, so if anyone knows anything about fried, breaded food that if it sits for too long it doesn't have the best flavor regardless of what food was fried. I will also say, that for Calamari as an appetizer it is priced a little high, especially when there is some very good Calamari being served out there.

For drinks, I had a Moscow Mule because that is my sort of go to drink & am curious how each bartender makes it. I will say I did like my Mule & did order another one.

For the Main courses, my companion ordered the Caesar salad to start, & I will say that it had an interesting presentation that I had not seen before. It was brought out in 2 wedges, so you cut into it to eat it. Very nice presentation & the Caesar dressing was good but not enough of it. She also had the Shrimp Scampi Ravioli & really enjoyed it.

I had the Shellfish Risotto, for a couple of reasons, but I do like Risotto when done well & it something you don't see on every menu, Italian or French. I will say that there were a lot of different types of shellfish presented & that was a pleasant surprise. The Risotto was creamy & flavored very well & will say one of the better Risotto's that I have had.

To finish up, there were some very good things about this restaurant but maybe a couple of things to improve on, especially since Tulsa is a very competitive place for restaurants, & particularly very excellent Italian Restaurants. I have 3 or 4 favorites, because time & again the service is wonderful & consistent as well as the food, regardless if you eat wood fired pizza, Salmon Piccata, Chicken Cacciatore, or any other classic Italian dish or a new take on a dish. I plan to go back for dinner with another person, because the food, other than the Calamari was pretty good, & hopefully maybe a little better service. Although I want to give it at least 4 stars I can't quite do that, but if the experience is better I will update my review.

Date of visit: November 2019

Been to Prossimo Ristorante? Share your experiences!