“Amazing hotel all around”
Review of The Mayo Hotel

The Mayo Hotel
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Tulsa
Reviewed June 28, 2010

This is one of the best hotels I have been to in America. The front desk was very helpful to the point that they took a bunch of us a great bar a mile away in their Escalade. My room was an apartment with a full kitchen and huge flat screen TV's in both the living room and Bedroom. Very close to the BOK arena. There is a coffee shop right next to the front desk.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
MayoHotel, Sales & Marketing at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2010

Thank You so much for your review. The Mayo Hotel hopes that you will be back soon!

Reviewed June 25, 2010

We stayed at the Mayo while in Tulsa to see a show at the BOK Center. The Front Desk staff were very nice, and we were checked in quickly. We had reserved 2 Suites, one for my mother, and one for my husband & me. Originally we wanted 1 Suite, and one connecting single room, but there were no single rooms available when we booked our reservation. (our fault for waiting till the week before the show to book!)

After we got settled in our rooms, my husband began trying to call the front desk regarding dinner reservations. He had to make several calls before he was finally answered & connected to the restaurant. He was told there were no reservations available for that evening. Again, I understand...it's a very small restaurant, and there was a concert in town that evening, so the hotel was busy.

Our frustrations stem mainly from our attempt to order room service. We had browsed the menus (for room service & for the restuarant) online prior to booking, and we were frustrated to find that many items were not actually available. We chose from the menu that was available & started trying to place an order for dinner at 6:00. Finally, at 6:15, my husband gave up trying to call (as he either got no answer, or was transferred to the bar & not picked back up), so he went downstairs to place the order in person. He was told it would be "about an hour." At 7:30, we had still not received our food, so after unsuccessfully calling, he again went downstairs...and was told it would be "another 30 minutes or so." Our concert started at 8:00 pm, so needless to say, we didn't have the extra time to wait. We cancelled the dinner order and went to the BOK Center.
Very frustrating!

The valet staff were very nice & efficient, and the breakfast experience at Trula was fine (again the menu was not the same as they show online).

Beds were fine; TV's were great; Showers were fine, but not enought water pressure to be great; Kitchen area was beautiful, but no dishes, silverware, cookware, etc is provided...so I'm not sure what the point of offering a full kitchen is if they don't provide tools to make the most of it.
We would probably stay again because the rooms were nice, and the location is good, but we will definitely plan to eat elsewhere! The restaurant/room service staff doesn't have their act together.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Eve K
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I grew up in Tulsa and decided to take a quick trip to see a concert at the new BOK center. Could not decide on hotels downtown but gave The Mayo a try. It totally exceeded my expectations! Upon arrival we got upgraded to a suite which was very nice. The beds were VERY comfortable and the shower in the bathroom was great.
Staff was friendly and helpful.
We did get mis-informed about the menus- they do have a bar menu different from the restaurant menu if you would like something small to eat. Also, the menu on their website is not the same- I guess they have changed it.
Overall a great experience-would recommend any of our family or friends to stay there!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I live in Tulsa and just for a splurge decided the husband and I should spend the night at the recently reopened Mayo. We have lived in this area most of our lives and had never been in the building. The lobby has been nicely done and retains an old world charm. To check in the desk was up a couple of steps to the right. Check in was quick and efficient as was valet parking. (Although there is room for only about 3 vehicles in front of the hotel so at a prime check in/out time it could get a bit hairy there, I would think.) All the staff seem to be fairly young.

We had a suite with a "view" of the river. The suite was fun, a little apartment actually. The fully equiped kitchen was nice but absolutely no cookware or anything to go with. I feel sure they could have provided those items if needed but there was no mention in the hotel directory about such a service. Nice sized bedroom, almost needed a running start to get on the tall bed, but was comfortable. Ceiling fan in the bedroom was a nice touch. Loved the bathroom for the most part. Not a huge bathroom, but nicely done, loved the tile on the floor and shower wall. Huge walkin closet. Inroom safe was not working but we did not need it. The A/C seemed loud, but it worked OK. Loved the art on the walls, mostly photos of the building and old photos from the "good old days".

Had to request a room service menu and it was delivered quickly. Made an order for late afternoon and it was delivered promptly. In general we wished for more hotel information in the room, more on the history of the building and various services available.

Had dinner at Trula and enjoyed it very much. Felt like we were farther away from home than 3 miles. Loved the waiter who answered numerous questions from me. They were very accomadating to any request we had. Also had a drink in the bar before dinner and service was very good. Will be interesting to see if they can make Trula into a truly great restaurant in town. Didn't think it was the best meal in Tulsa ever, but very presentable.

Overall a great time for a one night stay. Didn't feel they were trying to be overly service oriented. Front desk staff seemed aloof. Had a river view but had requested a city view room. Told them we were celebrating an anniversary but no one went out of their way to acknowledge it, which was fine, didn't need anything, but have come to expect such services at nicer hotels. I certainly would not hesitate to stay here in the future.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clkc86
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I recently stayed at The Mayo Hotel for a wedding. The hotel, both the lobby and rooms, were beautiful. The front desk was extremely helpful and the bartender at the hotel bar was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The set-up of the wedding in the hotel lobby was beautiful, although an employee forgot to turn off their walkie-talkie and it blasted in the middle of it.

• Stayed: March 2010
MayoHotel, Director of Sales at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2010

Thank you for your review. I remember this wedding I was actually at the Hotel when this was going on. We strive to make sure all special events are taken care of and want each individual to have a special time at the Mayo. We have learned from this event and I can honestly say that we now have a policy to cover accidents such as this. I think you for your review and hope that you visit us soon.

Reviewed March 11, 2010

This is a beautiful hotel. The renovations were very nicely done and the rooms are more than comfortable with large plasma televisions in each room and a multi-jet shower.

While the service wasn't bad, it wasn't as expected either. I think that over time, they may learn to work the few issues out. It took a long time and quite a few phone calls to organize the reservations for my colleagues and myself. Having spent so long organizing the travel and knowing that this will be weekly repeat business for The Mayo for several rooms, I would have expected on this first visit to have them wow me for the repeat business. I had the smallest room on the lowest floor with windows that faced directly in the office building next door. On the second morning, my wake up call never came. I tried to order room service, but no one answered the phone and I gave up.

The attached coffee shop is quite good for a quick breakfast or a lite bite.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

I want to thank you for your review. We have been groing through in depth training for our staff to bring the all of our guests the service that they would find in any other 5 star hotel.
Hope that you will re-visit us soon.

Reviewed March 2, 2010

I often stay in hotels in NYC, Paris, LA, so I have very high standards, that said, this hotel is fine, but not up to the level of those in other cities. The decor is slightly off, and dated. It is pseudo modern, but mostly looks like Z Gallery ca. 2002. The most expensive suite does not have a luxurious tub for a soak, and only a shower with no door....in Florida or the Caribbean, that would be ok, but in 30 degree Tulsa, in a room with a questionable heating system and drafty windows...brrrr. Not fun. Speaking of the windows, they are not double paned, and noise from the street below, particularly the beeping cross light (which goes off every two minutes, 24 hrs a day) can be easily heard. This necessitated ear plugs for sleeping. I recommend requesting a room above floor 5, where hopefully this will not be an issues. I stayed in a room with a full kitchen. It is lovely to have this amenity. However, the cooking utensils are primitive. I needed to call housekeeping for plates, cutlery, a cutting board. They could not provide me with a tea kettle, paring knives, dish soap, sponge, dish towels. There is also no fan above the stove, so if you cook something on the stovetop, be prepared to open the (leaky) windows or set off the fire alarm. The service is cheerful but woefully inexperienced. The airport shuttle that I confirmed twice before arrival failed to appear, and the rental car reservation that the hotel made for me days in advance was nowhere to be found, and the only response from the hotel receptionist was, "Do you remember who you spoke to?" I assume most hotels, regardless of who you speak to, keep records for their incoming guests that includes items such as airport shuttle requirements and rental car reservations. Apparently this is not the case at the Mayo. I am glad this hotel was saved from demolition, but without a question I am disappointed by the final result which is a provincial hotel with a nice, but clueless staff, leaky windows, loud heating vents, and already dated 'modern' decorating.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business