“Beautiful hotel”
Review of The Mayo Hotel

The Mayo Hotel
Ranked #19 of 109 Hotels in Tulsa
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I recently stayed at The Mayo Hotel for a wedding. The hotel, both the lobby and rooms, were beautiful. The front desk was extremely helpful and the bartender at the hotel bar was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The set-up of the wedding in the hotel lobby was beautiful, although an employee forgot to turn off their walkie-talkie and it blasted in the middle of it.

• Stayed: March 2010
MayoHotel, Director of Sales at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2010

Thank you for your review. I remember this wedding I was actually at the Hotel when this was going on. We strive to make sure all special events are taken care of and want each individual to have a special time at the Mayo. We have learned from this event and I can honestly say that we now have a policy to cover accidents such as this. I think you for your review and hope that you visit us soon.

Reviewed March 11, 2010

This is a beautiful hotel. The renovations were very nicely done and the rooms are more than comfortable with large plasma televisions in each room and a multi-jet shower.

While the service wasn't bad, it wasn't as expected either. I think that over time, they may learn to work the few issues out. It took a long time and quite a few phone calls to organize the reservations for my colleagues and myself. Having spent so long organizing the travel and knowing that this will be weekly repeat business for The Mayo for several rooms, I would have expected on this first visit to have them wow me for the repeat business. I had the smallest room on the lowest floor with windows that faced directly in the office building next door. On the second morning, my wake up call never came. I tried to order room service, but no one answered the phone and I gave up.

The attached coffee shop is quite good for a quick breakfast or a lite bite.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

I want to thank you for your review. We have been groing through in depth training for our staff to bring the all of our guests the service that they would find in any other 5 star hotel.
Hope that you will re-visit us soon.

Reviewed March 2, 2010

I often stay in hotels in NYC, Paris, LA, so I have very high standards, that said, this hotel is fine, but not up to the level of those in other cities. The decor is slightly off, and dated. It is pseudo modern, but mostly looks like Z Gallery ca. 2002. The most expensive suite does not have a luxurious tub for a soak, and only a shower with no door....in Florida or the Caribbean, that would be ok, but in 30 degree Tulsa, in a room with a questionable heating system and drafty windows...brrrr. Not fun. Speaking of the windows, they are not double paned, and noise from the street below, particularly the beeping cross light (which goes off every two minutes, 24 hrs a day) can be easily heard. This necessitated ear plugs for sleeping. I recommend requesting a room above floor 5, where hopefully this will not be an issues. I stayed in a room with a full kitchen. It is lovely to have this amenity. However, the cooking utensils are primitive. I needed to call housekeeping for plates, cutlery, a cutting board. They could not provide me with a tea kettle, paring knives, dish soap, sponge, dish towels. There is also no fan above the stove, so if you cook something on the stovetop, be prepared to open the (leaky) windows or set off the fire alarm. The service is cheerful but woefully inexperienced. The airport shuttle that I confirmed twice before arrival failed to appear, and the rental car reservation that the hotel made for me days in advance was nowhere to be found, and the only response from the hotel receptionist was, "Do you remember who you spoke to?" I assume most hotels, regardless of who you speak to, keep records for their incoming guests that includes items such as airport shuttle requirements and rental car reservations. Apparently this is not the case at the Mayo. I am glad this hotel was saved from demolition, but without a question I am disappointed by the final result which is a provincial hotel with a nice, but clueless staff, leaky windows, loud heating vents, and already dated 'modern' decorating.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank mrfinickypicky
Reviewed February 23, 2010

Hotel is wonderful. I booked a deluxe suite and it was huge. Entering the room I was suprised to find a long hallway entry way to the suite with hard wood floors and really cool light fixtures everywhere. Seperate bedroom and a huge bathroom with a shower only.
There are two closets and tons of drawer space. This is not a hotel room it is your very own downtown loft with two huge LCD's. Front desk staff was great.

I actually needed to be in south Tulsa for business, but since staying here I will stay downtown at The Hotel Mayo and just make the short drive. It is so worth it.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 19, 2010

My new favorite hotel in Tulsa. Asked for an upgrade (took too long) and we were given a large suite with full kitchen. The living area had 52 in flat screen TV as well as the huge bedroom. Bedroom was very elegant with two comfortable chairs and king size bed. The bathroom was very nice with high tech shower. The resturant and bar were small but nice. Our meal was excellent and not as expensive as I expected. The biggest problem that occured was difficulty getting our room upgrade but the housekeeper named Holly was able to arrange it within 15 minutes. Over all it was a great stay. We never had to leave the hotel once we checked in. Even has a small coffe shop with really good Cinnamon rolls. Can't wait to go back

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dreamjeanne
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I was on business with the company across the street. It was a great location for me with a free airport shuttle, which is a nice Escalade. The room was a single king and with a small kitchenette/microwave. The hotel corridors are decorated with old photos from Tulsa which was a nice touch. The check-in desk area has some interesting Mayan motif tiles that you would ordinarily miss. The restaurant had very good food but it seemed to take a long time to get our order even though it was only our group of four people and one other couple at that time of day. I liked it and hope downtown Tulsa can spawn more of a nightlife crowd with the help of the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 29, 2010

The Mayo reopened after decades of being closed -- it is a wonderful botique hotel in downtown Tulsa. The rooms are fantastic --

It had only been opened a few months when I last stayed and the restaurant and bar still had some rough spots in both quality and service but I have no doubt they will be smoothed out.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business