“Lovely hotel, Horrible construction noise”
Review of The Mayo Hotel

The Mayo Hotel
Ranked #16 of 108 Hotels in Tulsa
Nixa, Missouri
“Lovely hotel, Horrible construction noise”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We thought the Mayo was a beautiful hotel, very well maintained & updated. The room was spacious & the staff were friendly & helpful. However, we were placed on the 3rd floor, directly in front of a HUGE construction site. They worked from 5:30 am to 5:30 pm, & the noise was deafening. We could not relax, nap, or visit in the afternoon because the noise was so loud we had to almost shout to be heard. We could not sleep through the noise, so were up at 5:30 in the morning. The hotel should have given a warning of this situation before booking, & a significant discount to compensate if the guest does choose to book on a lower floor in the front of the hotel. They did not inform us of this noise problem, & no discount was given. We will not be staying there again in 2014 because of this, & will check before booking even after that to make sure the construction is done. I know the construction was not done by the Mayo Hotel itself, but their guests were greatly affected by the horrible amount of noise

Room Tip: Ask for a high-level room that is not on the front of the hotel. Check if the construction site in...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Lukas V, Front Office Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear RachGo,

I am very sorry that you could not fully enjoy your stay in the Mayo. I absolutely share your frustration about the construction noise that was going on during your stay.

The hotel has an agreement in place with the construction company specifying exact hours of operation on that work site, and this agreement was violated during your stay. Again, my apologies that you got awaken by the noise. The good news is that they are finishing the job up as we speak, and the noise levels are for the most part non-invasive to our guests.

I double checked our records, and I see that my staff was able to move you to a larger suite on the other side of the hotel for your second night, and we also gave you a $70 discount on your room rate for the inconvenience.

In conclusion, I would love to invite you back to the Mayo in the future, so you can enjoy a full Mayo experience in one of our suites. Please do not hesitate to contact me anytime at 918-582-2890.

Lukas Vodicka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Manhattan, Kansas
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying here for a work related conference. Our small group was treated like royalty. The facility is exquisite. I truly appreciate the work that the owners have done to renovate the hotel, and honor the history that this hotel represents. The rooms were exquisite--large, beautifully decorated with amenities I would not have anticipated. We will be back--Downtown Tulsa is an exceptional community, and a stay at the Mayo as a couple or family would be a welcome get-away.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear K_M60503,

Thank you so much for your encouraging opinion. I am happy to hear your small group had such a lovely time here.

Our banquets team always delivers their best when attending to various events in the Mayo, and their tremendous experience lays the foundation for their amazing ability to fulfill almost any need.

Thus, I am thrilled we managed to impress you not only with our service, but also with our grandiose rooms.

I look forward to seeing you again, and please do not hesitate to reach out with any requests or questions.

Owasso, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Recently my wife and I stayed here. It was incredible. Everything is top notch from start to finish.

The lobby is beautiful, the rooms are beautiful and modern without losing the charm of the hotel being a landmark of Tulsa for many years. The staff was helpful. The room service was great. It's near the BOK Center so if you're going to an event then it's not too far of a walk back to your room. There was decent parking nearby but otherwise there is valet service.

My room had a great and large bathtub, a cool shower, ice maker, a living room with a small dining area attached, and the bedroom was one of the best I've been in. Not to mention I had a corner room so there was lots of natural light and a different and cool view of Tulsa out each window (Tulsa isn't the prettiest, but it's a nice view for Tulsa).

I have zero complaints, only praises and recommendations to give. I'll be back here for special occasion no doubt.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear tripaj,

I am always so pleased to read reviews such as yours.
Judging from your profile, you are a seasoned traveler, and it excites me that we are now a positive part of your rich review folio.

The corner rooms are my personal favorite as well, and I am glad you got to stay in one of them.
Please do not hesitate to contact me anytime you need a room in Tulsa. I would love to make sure we can put you back into one of our corner Executive suites; unless you would like to experiment with some other room types that we offer :)

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience, it means a lot to me and my staff.

San Jose, California
Reviewed July 23, 2014

My teenage daughter and I discovered this gorgeous hotel on a recent cross-country road trip we took from San Jose, CA to Maine. Staying at The Mayo Hotel was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. This hotel is absolutely beautiful. We saw a beautiful wedding party enjoying the venue and it seems like a romantic and special place to hold a celebration event. Although we only stayed one night, we enjoyed the stay immensely. We highly recommend the service. Everyone, from the valet parkers to the front office manager, was terrific. And room service was impeccable.

As you can see from the photos attached, I was very impressed with the lobby and the bathroom just off the lobby. This hotel was a delight to find on our journey across the country and we are so pleased that we found it.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk to assist in whatever you are looking for. They're very helpful.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Toby044,

Thank you for your kind words. I am very glad that we were able to fulfill your expectations. Mayo is indeed a beautiful property, and we do everything we can to match the greatness of our building with exceptional customer service.

Thank you again for highlighting my staff and our hotel here on Tripadvisor, and I hope you are having a blast travelling across the country. Please feel free to reach out to me if you find yourselves in Oklahoma again.

Oklahoma City
Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I decided to run away for the weekend in Tulsa and chose to stay at the beautiful and historic Mayo Hotel, and the place lived up to everything we had envisioned. The recently remodeled and re-opened gem is centrally located in downtown Tulsa and is within a short walk to all of the fun stuff going on around town -- the Brady District, the Guthrie Green, the BOK Center, etc. As for our room, it was much larger than I expected and contained a mini kitchen with fridge and microwave. The bathroom was a great size, too. We also spent time in the lobby bar, which is comfy and fun, and toured the Mayo museum that contains quite a bit of ephemera pertaining to the hotel's long and distinguished history. We've stayed at several hotels in Tulsa, but none comes close to the elegance and attention to detail that the Mayo does, so we'll definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: We got a corner room with panoramic views of downtown -- highly recommend.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Lukas V, Front Office Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear OKCgirl,

First of all, thank you for choosing Mayo for your little get away. I could not be more pleased to know that we managed to impress you and fulfill your expectations.

It really sounds like you had a great time here, and kudos to you for fully exploring the hotel and the surrounding area. There really is so much that could enrich one’s stay, whether it is our museum, the rooftop bar or a ride in our complimentary Escalade into the vibrant Brady Arts or Blue Dome districts. All this coupled with our large and opulent rooms creates a memorable experience.

I certainly look forward to seeing you in the future, and please feel free to reach out to me personally at 918-895-8406 with any questions or requests.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I've been coming to Tulsa for years and up until Mayo opened the Ambassador was the only place I'd stay. Love it by the way. But once the Mayo opened there was no turning back. At once you get classic elegance, a great room, nice folks and an ideal downtown location. So glad it's back atop the hotel scene in Tulsa.

Room Tip: Get a suite if you can!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear John T,

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. First class service combined with sumptuous atmosphere in a historical building is our equation for success, and it is a pleasure and an honor to serve you during your stays in Tulsa.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me with any questions, concerns or requests.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I have to start with the fact that there is no other place in Tulsa that I would trust with executing an event the way the Mayo Hotel can and does. Their staff is great to work with in planning and executing events and the atmosphere is one of a kind...absolutely breathtaking! I have held several events for work here and our nonprofit is in the works in planning a gala for the fall and we couldn't be more excited.
The Mayo is also one of my favorite places to hang out with friends. The penthouse bar has an incredible view unlike any other in town. Top that with great drinks and live music and we could hang out there all night!
I have stayed at the Mayo on various occasions and LOVE the rooms! It is like having your own apartment for the night. Great place for a staycation! And I always send my out of town guests there whether work related or friends and family. The hotel staff are very helpful and accommodating and it is nice to have transportation too when you are headed out for the night.
I recommend the Mayo to anyone looking for a great place to work, play and stay!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank TulsaHAP
Dear TulsaHAP,

I am very excited to read a review from a Tulsan. We are very proud that we were able to resurrect The Mayo- a historical gem, for Tulsa and its residents.

Indeed, our sales and banquet teams are amazing in planning various events and the versatile nature of the building allows us to satisfy almost any need. Whether it is the Crystal ballroom for big gala events or receptions, our grand hall for weddings, or several other conference spaces we have for smaller events- the Mayo has the capability to host it.

Again, I am thrilled that you have had only positive experiences with us, and I hope your gala in the fall turns out to be a fantastic evening for everyone.