“Unprofessional”
Review of The Mayo Hotel

The Mayo Hotel
Ranked #19 of 109 Hotels in Tulsa
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Unprofessional. Nice staff once they came around, but the hotel was empty and workers standing around staring at us and no one to help. Obviously, professional hospitality management is not important. Very expensive and hot water ran out quickly as well.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
JakeBaldwin, General Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

I’m sorry to hear about the experience you had during your stay. Our staff works everyday to better our service. One of the keys to this service is a positive attitude and an eagerness to meet our guests’ every need. It appears that we dropped the ball while you were here and that will be corrected. Hospitality is very much important to us and we will continue to get better every day. I would ask that you contact me personally to discuss these issues in further detail so that we can ensure they do not happen again. Thank you for choosing The Mayo and I do hope we get the opportunity to change your impression of the hotel.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Spent two nights here on business Sept 2013. The outside and inside are vintage 20's -- very elegant. For contrast the individual rooms are large, very modern deco inside with all the amenities you would want. Within walking of downtown area, nice bar and restaurant. Exceptionally friendly staff. As I recall about $150/night including all taxes. I would come back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MarkV709
JakeBaldwin, General Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thank you for your kind words about The Mayo. I really appreciate that you noticed the balance between our vintage 1920s grand hall and our modern rooms. We believe that it provides our guests with the original ambience along with all of the modern day conveniences that they could ask for. Our location only continues to get better with all the growth that Downtown Tulsa is experiencing. I will pass along your praises to our staff; I know they will be excited to see you again during your next visit.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

went to my prom in this hotel in 1977 so it was a walk down memory lane . This hotel was nice then and still is nice rooms and ball room was nice also had a great time just like in 77 . i am older and so is the mayo but we both look good same time next year .

Room Tip: no pool and get a room on a high floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
JakeBaldwin, General Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

I always enjoy hearing a guest’s past memories of The Mayo. My father tells a story very similar to yours about an old college formal at The Mayo. The Crystal Ballroom is Tulsa’s premier event space as it has been since it was first built in the 1920s. Thank you for your kind words. We hope that you return to The Mayo in the future to make even more memories.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I'm not a frequent traveler to Tulsa so I wasn't sure what to expect when I booked two nights at The Mayo. I was impressed when we were picked up in a very clean and cool SUV. When we arrived at the hotel it was like be transformed back to the art deco era. Apparently the hotel was remodeled a few years ago and it was absolutely beautiful. Many of the original features were left and the new additions fit in very nicely. The room was very large with more than adequate space to relax and work. I had several meals at the hotel restaurant, Trula. Dinner on both nights excellent. Breakfast was a bit boring but there's a nice coffee shop next door if you want something different. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. There are a few other chains downtown but I'm sticking with The Mayo.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

We appreciate you choosing The Mayo and your great review. The hotel was restored to fit its original grandiose style that was at the cusp of the art deco era. We do, indeed, have features that are original to the hotel and the rest of the building was meticulously remodeled to match as closely as possible. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your many meals in Trula. Our new Chef de Cuisine has put out a phenomenal new menu and offers unique specials for lunch and dinner on a daily basis. I will pass on your praise to the rest of our staff. I know that they will be delighted to hear it. We hope that your travels bring you back to Tulsa more often. Thanks again!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Had a great welcome from the minute we drew up outside in our rental car, Steve helped is with our bags and check was speedy and yes I really felt I was on a movie set. We were given room 911 which felt a bit odd it being so near the anniversary of that terrible day. Bit want a room, more like a mini suite with a fridge and microwave and a small sink. Lovely bathroom and fantastic shower. Never had a bedroom with such a hugeTV about a 50" screen! We were slightly disappointed that we couldn't enjoy the roof top bar due to a corporate function. The downtown area is very quiet and if you don't want to eat at the hotel you will have to walk out in a very safe area to find somewhere. The coffee shop was good and we did have breakfast whic we really enjoyed, fresh cooked hot breakfast (I took the fruit option rather than potatoes and had a large bowl of fresh fruit.). I thought breakfast was included in the room rate and on checking it wasn't but we really enjoyed it. The hotel was very quiet, we almost thought we were the only guests. Check out getting our car back was quick too - yes there is a $20 charge for valet parking. Great stay.

Room Tip: Don't think there is a bad room, but a higher level room might be best
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marion N
JakeBaldwin, General Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

I am thrilled that you felt this way after visiting The Mayo. It always our goal to get guests into the hotel and checked-in quickly. All of our rooms feature a butler’s kitchen no matter whether it is a suite or not. Our rooms also feature 50” televisions; our suite offer two 50” televisions both in the living area and bedroom. Our restaurant, Trula, is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and is a great place to grab a bite. There are also plenty of other options in Downtown Tulsa no matter what type of cuisine you prefer. Thank you for your great feedback. It is our hope that we leave all of our guests feeling this way after their stay. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Mayo is phenomenal. I refuse to stay anywhere else when in Tulsa. The rooms are classy, clean and affordable. Often times, I have been upgraded to suite if rooms are available upon arrival. The staff is great and the airport/town shuttle is free (Escalade). The only thing I would change is the time frame by which breakfast room service is served. The earliest they can deliver is 7:15 because the Trula does not open until 7:00 am. The time frame is an unfortunate drawback because the food is delicious.

Room Tip: Get the suite if you can.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your compliments and your dedication to The Mayo. Nearly half of our hotel rooms are suites so there is always a possibility future guests may receive a complimentary upgrade on a busy night. Our complimentary shuttle is a great amenity for our guests. It will take guests to and from the airport as well as anywhere within a 4-mile radius of the hotel. I will speak with our restaurant manager about your suggestions for breakfast in Trula. Thanks again for your loyalty to The Mayo. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This Hotel was excellent. Beautiful Architecture & the updated suites were awesome. A real gem. The staff was unbelievably nice & helpful. Daenae (sp?) at the front desk was wonderful to deal with and the entire valet & concierge staff were super helpful, even recommending a great breakfast spot ( AND giving us a ride there!).
Relaxing in the large, 2-story sitting area in the center of the lobby was a treat. I really felt like we were back in time in the roaring 20's.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Josh P
JakeBaldwin, General Manager at The Mayo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you so much for your compliments. We take a great deal of pride in the historic architecture of The Mayo Hotel and are happy to hear that you appreciated this as well. Danae has been with us a short time but does a tremendous job at the front desk and is always eager to help our guests. The Mayo lobby is absolutely a treat in itself. It certainly creates an aura of the 1920s that is hard to match. Our staff will be so pleased to hear about your experience. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!